Shimano Deore XT M770 Cassette Sprocket Cassette

Deore XT M770 Cassette Sprocket

The 2008 Shimano Deore M770 Cassette is a strong and durable cassette that features small pins on the back of the large cog in order to prevent chains from damaging your spokes.

Rad Rider 415   Racer [May 12, 2011]
Strength:

Light, Precise shifting

I bent the Granny within 2 weeks of using it.

Not bad if It wasn't for a bend in the granny gear. It bent and I had bad chain suck for half of a race.

Similar Products Used: Sram 9 speed
jramirezar   Cross Country Rider [Jan 10, 2011]
Strength:

Light weight, durability, good shiftiing

none...

Even though I´m not a hard rider or racer, I usually ride 150-200 km/week. This cassette has lasted more than 2 years and still runing good, I have another chain to rotate between both chains every 3-4 months, so I can make it last longer. Shifting is great, mainly because of X7 shifter-X9 rear derrailleur-Sram chain, and I reduce power and increase rotation during shifting to have smooth shifts... It's great for the price...

eshew   Weekend Warrior [Nov 23, 2010]
Strength:

Price & quality. 5 arm design last resists bending more than the old 4 arm.

None I've experienced 1st hand

Shifts very smooth & fast. Absolutly love the 12-34 combo. If you find yourself in the granny gear often (common if you are Pacific Northwest) then the 34 is a must have.

There are obviously reviews of bent cassette rings but its tough to say if its on the older 4 arm design compaired to the one you find for sale now which is the stronger 5 arm. Not going to say it cant be bent (I try to reduce power during shifts cuz I gots old school skillz) but I have yet to find an issue and wont be replacing this cassette for a very long time.

Similar Products Used: Old shimano, Sram 970
Apt   Weekend Warrior [Aug 15, 2010]
Strength:

Light ish looks ok

Bends easier than a Beckham free kick
Usually second largest cog - four times now

XT's durability on this cassette for a "workhorse" line blows big time. Bent four of these in about 2 years.
Considering slx or hg-50 now or even 990. Like with most things I am sure they do it on purpose so you buy more but I won't be buying another xt cassette unless it's free.

Not saying I am light on things but at 175lbs I am hardly heavy! Shifting could be a factor but I am really not shifting that badly.

Similar Products Used: Lx
TTTURNER   Cross Country Rider [Jun 05, 2009]
Strength:

Always shifts well. Reasonably light and strong.
Relatively inexpensive.

It doesn't last as long as XTR

Shimano has made this cassette stronger over the 760. It is slightly more expensive than the Sram 980, but shifts slightly better. I wish it lasted as long as my XTR! Buy it!

Similar Products Used: Almost All
XSL_WiLL   Weekend Warrior [Jun 04, 2009]
Strength:

Weight, durability, shifting, doesn't bite into the freehub body.

None.

I usually use SRAM products. I prefer Rockshox forks, Avid brakes, and SRAM shifters and derailleurs. But I have always come back to Shimano cassettes and cranks.

The cassettes just seem to be made better and shift better than SRAM cassettes.

I've owned both XT and XTR. There is no discernible difference in shift quality between the two. The difference is mostly weight. The weight of the XT can be further reduced with the use of an alloy lockring rather than the heavy steel one.

As for durability. I like gate starts. So a quick snap, and lots of shifting under power. The cassette still has plenty of life in it.

I like that the larger cogs are mounted on an alloy spider, they do not chew up the freehub body.

No matter what kind of riding you do, these cassettes are a great way to improve shifting and maybe even save some weight.

ratmogers   Cross Country Rider [Dec 08, 2008]
Strength:

Weight

wears out, bends easily

On about the 8th or 9th ride the second and 3rd largest cogs were shifting poorly after a mud ride. After getting it home I noticed that the 2nd cog was bent! No way to get it straight again without replacing the cassette. This will get expensive if I'm replacing the cassette every few weeks.

Similar Products Used: SRAM
scooter24   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2008]
Strength:

none other than the weight of it.

they wear out very quick,used for only 3 months and starting to skip on the top 3 cogs.

bottom line is buy sram it weighs a little more,but last a lot longer and shifts about the same.

Similar Products Used: sram 970
lowflier03   Weekend Warrior [Nov 09, 2008]
Strength:

Lightweight, sturdy, crisp shifts.

Needed something to replace the lead brick that came on the bike. Every other cassette I have used has had some slop when shifting under load and well as eventual bent cogs, not to mention being way to heavy. The XT cassette feels super light compared to the others I have used, it gives me crisp shifts even under heavy climbing and feels alot sturdier and better built. Definitely worth the money if you dont like weight, or do a decent amount of climbing.