Shimano Deore HG-50 9-Sp. Cassette

Deore HG-50 9-Sp.

Shimano HG50 8-speed cassette. Item Specifications Color Satin Drivetrain SpacingShimano/SRAM 8 Cassette BodyTypeShimano 8

Christian   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2014]
Strength:

Very durable
Nice shifting
Decent finish

Weight
Not completely as stiff as XT

Haters gonna hate?

I've used this cassette on a hardtail for more than three years and it has seen at least 8000km of use, of which about 1500km were mountain biking (until I got a fully). In all this time, I never felt like this cassette had failed me, and shifting has always been pretty solid (XT derrailleur and shifters), even though the stiffer XT cassette DOES perform better. And though I destroyed 1 or 2 derrailleur hangers, I haven't bent a single sprocket. I'm pretty sure many users (which is why I don't like lending my bike) do not shift properly, and as a result, destroy some part of the drivetrain. Even if I felt like doing mad wheelies during a hard climb, this cassette wouldn't bend. I'm a rather light, but still...

As for the finish: After some time (and 2 winters with road-salt), the cassette looks a bit messy, but the nickel coating is still mostly intact. No complaints here. The chain (XT or Deore level) is going to be a bigger worry for you.
Last week, I ordered a new one, just to realize that the teeth on the old one are still fine and should last for at least another, if not two years.

So all in all, I can recommend this cassette for any use, however, most people will prefer some lighter cassettes with a spider for their aluminium freewheels on more expensive bikes. But for the price, you get an awesome cassette that won't look like an ugly, rusty cone on your rear wheel after some use. (like the HG30 or cheap 7-8spd cassettes)

Similar Products Used: XT cassettes
darrinw2001   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2010]
Strength:

shifted well and worked great for 1st 6 months

bent really bad during a race when I hit a though short climb

here is the link to the picture on what happened on a short tough climb.. bent it out pretty bad after just 6 months on the bike.. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs468.ash1/25697_1397241501300_1540132892_31002595_4633159_n.jpg

Similar Products Used: sram pg970 sram pg950
Robbo   Weekend Warrior [Mar 23, 2010]
Strength:

Well made, well designed, low price. Interchangeable from MTB to road bikes and back.

Not particularly durable.

Good gear for the money. Compare with fancy road bike cassettes that can cost $200 and don't take half the abuse.

The MTB versions of these (30T or 32T low gear) have a really good spread of gears. Ideal for all-mountain use where you want a nice low 1st gear.

Note that 9 speed HG cassettes are interchangeable (ie fit hybrid and road bikes, too). I've put one on a friend's high-geared road bike. 32T = 39% more teeth than a 23T. Works great!

Similar Products Used: HG70, various SRAM
Buzz2401   Cross Country Rider [Sep 21, 2009]
Strength:

Shifts Well
Easy to Clean
Reliable

None so far

I weigh 215 lbs and am pretty hard on things, and this cassette has never given me any troubles. Shifts fast and perfect. I have about 50 miles of hard XC rideing on it and about 400 street miles on it and no sign of wear yet. I guess it would help if it was lighter but then I suppose the durability would suffer. I would buy this if you are not super concerned with weight and just want a quality item that will work well for years. I would not buy this if you weigh any or all of your bike on a scale lol