Shimano 1999 LX 11-32 cassette Cassette

1999 LX 11-32 cassette

Shimano 1999 LX 11-32 cassette

Mark Armstrong   Weekend Warrior [Apr 07, 1999]
Strength:

Unknown as yet - IS 9 SPEED TOO LIGHT WEIGHT TO BE DURABLE OR DID I JUST GET UNLUCKY??? Other than the breakdown, it was good - I'll keep you posted.

Second to largest cog bent on first hard-out MTB ride and replacement is $115 NZ, (approx $45 US) and 8 speed only $60 NZ!!

If I cream another LX 9 speed cassette I think I'll go back to 8 speed due to durability, which is obvious just looking at them. Anyone else found the 9 speeds are easily bent, or is it just that New Zealand is the most hard out MTB in the world...or is it just that I can't seem to stay on my bike for long as New Zealand tracks are so hard out.

Similar Products Used: STX-RC, EXAGE, Acera, XT
Thanos   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 02, 1999]
Strength:

Nice shifting (if everything is ok)

Low durability

I've had just the same problem as Mark from New Zealand. The first and second largest cogs have bent twice, although I haven't changed the cassette, but fixed it instead. So either New Zealand and Greek tracks are so hard, or the cassette is too soft.

Angel Matos   Weekend Warrior [Apr 24, 1999]
Strength:

Great shifting.
Shimano name.

Not to light. Not a very good look.

It have a great shifting but it is to heavy. Recently I changed it to the CSM750 XT Cogset, sincerely I feel the diference.

Similar Products Used: 1998 LX 8 speed cogset.
1997 STX-7 speed cogset.
jc   Weekend Warrior [Sep 27, 2000]
Strength:

Nice Range of gearing, 11-32, meaning little use of Granny.
fairly durable compared to 9spd XT 11-34.

heavy, compared to the XT 9 or 8spd.

This cassette came on the bike. After 6 mos, I replaced the chain, and cassette trying to save a little weight by going with XT 9spd. That was a big mistake. The 30T sprocket bent first time (within 2 months of purchase), I tried to stand and crank up a short steep section, rendering top 3 sprockets useless. Shimano told me to "alter my riding style". Apparently the XT 9 speed stuff isn't as good as the XT 8spd or LX 9 spd, which have performed without failing on my bikes for the last 6 years. The LX cassette went back on the bike and has performed without issue for the last 8 months.

Similar Products Used: Low level shimano 6 & 7 speed, LX & XT 8spd, XT 9 sp 11-34
Jamiw   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 19, 1999]
Strength:

Fairly cheap, shifts great.

Not very light, narrow cogs mean derailleur tolerances are VERY close.

I don't know what is with the guy from New Zealand... Anyway it shifts damn quick and ain't very light. Requires precise derailleur adjustments due to the packed in nature of 9sp... The cogs are not very narrow either so durability should not be an issue. I still want the XTR but they run $150 retail vs S49 for LX, oh well.

Similar Products Used: Just about all the shimano stuff and lots of SR and other crap...