Shimano XTR SIS Shifter Cable Set Cables

XTR SIS Shifter Cable Set

Shimano XTR shift cable set. Incudes inner derailleur cable and housing. Black.

fipogg   Cross Country Rider [Mar 13, 2011]
Strength:

Everything inside the box works perfect. Cables are coated (black color) so they are corrosion protected, the housings are flexible and strong, the rubber end protectors do their job avoiding dust to penetrate the housing.

The pre cut housing is just unaceptable! Period. I've been using XTR cables for years and it is amazing that Shimano has not changed the pre cut housings although the bike geometry has changed.

Is there anybody out there listening at Shimano? Why not eliminate the pre cut housings and make this product a perfect one?

Similar Products Used: None or should I say, a generic type...
Tim   Cross Country Rider [Feb 21, 2009]
Strength:

It's not enough of 3 outer cables, I had to use 2 longer ones for rear derailleur, and now I have to get somewhere 1 additional - and I have already spent enough money to this set hoping that I wont need anything.

I am really disappointed.

jSatch   Weekend Warrior [Oct 27, 2008]
Strength:

Good cable- very smooth
Quality housing
Dirt/Rainboots create intermediate chamber

Pre-cut housing

High quality product. Easy to set up, works smoothly. Rubber dust/rain protectors good idea- easy to slip aside and clean cable. Full length rain protectors require disassembly for the occasional dust and dirt maintenance.

Hey Shimano, get with the program; your pre-cut cable housing no longer fits a majority of bikes- it fits almost no bikes. Housing will need to be trimmed anyway, so why cut it beforehand? The 2 handlebar pieces were plenty long. For the front derailleur I needed a piece about an inch and a half longer than the intermediate piece supplied. I had to salvage a piece of my old housing. As I cut way more than that off the handlebar sections, this was just foolish. I would have preferred a single housing section from the front triangle to the rear derailleur, bypassing the rear cable stops, but again- pre-cut housing killed that idea.

I like the idea of the dust/rainboots for the Shimano setup. It creates an intermediate chamber for some dust/dirt before contaminating inside the housing where it would affect performance. Easy to clean, unlike the full length rain protectors. Nonetheless, the pre-cut housing lengths are just too idiotic to support so I might give Jagwire Ripcord a go next year.

Minus 1 chile for the housing. Everyone complains about it, Shimano has yet to listen.

patrick   Cross Country Rider [May 27, 2007]
Strength:

cable slides well in housing

housing comes in 5 pre-cut sections: 2 long, 1 medium length, 2 slightly shorter medium length. For my frame I needed 2 of the medium length, so I had to go buy more housing. Why they couldn't include 1 sufficiently long piece of uncut cable I don't understand.

The dust nipples or whatever they are called are a waste, they slip right off during use.

Poorly thought out.