Shimano XTR Derailleur Cables

Shimano XTR Derailleur Cables

[Nov 16, 2014]
xmessenger

Strength:

Shimano XTR quality. When Shimano sets to make the best anything ,you can expect a polished product.

Perhaps too polished. By that I mean the pre cut housing. I guess it makes things a bit easier for a traditional hardtail frame with interrupted housing ,like mine, but todays bikes are way too varied to be cutting cable housing at factory. Buck up and issue an AM version Shimano.

I'll update as I use it as this is fresh installed but the action is REALLY good with my XTR shifters and derailleurs. Smooth yet fast and very snappy. The spring almost feels stronger. This is compared to my Gore Ride On which is great with very smooth and consistent action but I don't feel its as fast.

[Mar 26, 2011]
GpzGuy

Strength:

Don't know, I'm not going to install it.

Pre-cut housing with housing sections that are far too short for a suspension frame. Plastic end ferrules may seal better, but look cheap and not durable.

I'm putting together my Salsa Big Mama and while ordering a bunch of other parts I purchased this shifter cable kit. Now that I have it in hand I can clearly see that the pre-cut housing simply won't work for my frame. It requires an uncut length of housing from the frame stop on the top tube near the seat tube, all the way down the seat stay to the rear derailer. This kit wouldn't even be close. Maybe it makes shifts like butter on other frames, but I'm not going to even take it out of the bag and just send it back.

Other Shimano cable housing over the years.

[Nov 28, 2010]
fipogg

Strength:

Smooth shifting action.

Pre cut cable length are absurd. New bikes demand new routing and more flexible lenghts.

Great cable and housing, poor product offering. Make sure your bike cable and housng demand is satisfied by the product as packaged.

[Mar 17, 2010]
scremf

Strength:

Being that I am so angry at shimano for being so incredibly cheap with the cable housing none.

Pre cut cable housing. In a cable set this expensive I fully expected shimano would supply plenty of cable housing, not so. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Never again, I have learned my lesson. If you want to get burnt buy these cables, otherwise buy anything else. I do not care how well these cable's shift. Shimano is just to stingey with their cable housing. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. I'm sure it would cost shimano all of ten cents to supply the proper amount of cable housing.

Avid Flak Jacket

[Feb 09, 2010]
aarontriton

Strength:

no strech fast crisp shifting

none so far maybe price

I sent my wife to get a new shift cable to replace the origional frayed cable and told her no junk i want a shimano shift cable all they had were XTR , well I installed and adjusted the shifting with standard deore shifters and at the time standard deore rear derailluer. The shifting performance was night and day the bike shifts so much smoother and easier.I would never have bought XTR cables on my own but know that I feel the differance I Absolutly would reccomend the upgrade. It will make your middle of the line shifters feel high end.

standard shimano shift cables

[Aug 30, 2007]
Dick

Strength:

truly superb shifting

housings are cut too short. they provide two long pieces for the front sections leading from the shifters. And then two short pieces and a slightly longer one, none of which was long enough for the other front derailleur section. I had to use a chunk of old housing to cover. Irritating as hell.

It's a bummer that the cables work so well, but the cheap buzzards are so stingy with the housing. SHHHEEEEESH!

pretty much everything that's every been made

[Jul 18, 2007]
Matt Morgan

Strength:

Smooth, quick shifting. Not much more expensive than ordinary cables and housings, and isn't your time and ride quality worth something? Great performance even after some very dusty rides. I shift, it goes.

Twitchy at first-- hard to get used to the very light action. Too much of a good thing? Wondering if other rider's 'stretching' is a loose cable clamp. I guess I'll find out over the next couple months!

Why is this not standard equipment on a $2500 bike?

The usual cables, and stock Jagwire setup on the Epic. Also Gore cables on my old hard tail.

[Feb 12, 2007]
Ed McGoldrick
Downhiller

Strength:

The cable are smooth and strong.

Great cable with a jagwire housing is a good combo.

Non-coated.

[Mar 16, 2006]
Matthew

Strength:

straight foward design and silky smooth

NONE

These cables made a marked improvement over the stock cables it was unbelivable how much easer the cables made it shift

Just cheep cables

[Jun 14, 2007]
steve

Strength:

they work

Not sure what the story is, after 250 miles you would think that they would have finished stretching, but I'm still tinkering with them every couple weeks.

I've adjusted them, replaced the chain, had a shop adjust them, yet I can't seem to get them to hold the indexing for more than 2 weeks or so before I need to adjust them again. They must be made of taffy, I can't believe they're still stretching, 250 miles and they're still breaking in?