Jagwire Ripcord Derailleur Cable & Housing Kit Cables

Jagwire Ripcord Derailleur Cable & Housing Kit Cables

Jagwire Ripcord Derailleur Cable DIY Kit: Jagwire Ripcord Mountain Derailleur Cable & Housing Sets. Cable length - 1500mm (front), 2100mm (rear)

[Oct 21, 2012]
Steve

Strength:

Teflon cables are smooth. Cool colours to pick from.

Not enough cable housing to do a small Niner RDO with internal cable routing. They kink easily. This is my third set I'm going to try something else next time.
Made in china. Really we can't even make a simple cable in this country.

Not impressed with the product. Regular cables and housing are just as good at a much smaller price.

[Jul 06, 2012]
yeahbike
All Mountain Rider

Strength:

Easy to install
Works well- smooth shifting
Comes in various colors
Not made in the US

This cable kit functions as advertised. Kit includes everything you need except for cable/housing cutter. The cables were free of kinks when opening the package. All the hardware and housing were good in condition. Prior bike mechanical knowledge will be very helpful for installation. I prefer soldering the cable ends instead of using the caps because they always fall off. They come interesting colors. Go out and ride.

[Sep 07, 2011]
Jason Malchow

Strength:

The sleeve protects the cable from being exposed to dirt and moisture. This seems like a superior setup as opposed to the Ride-on cables. I had these and the protective plastic would bunch up and I am glad I switched.

Made in China. An extra cap or two would be nice.

Top of the line product with many different styles/colors. Instructions were somewhat confusing. Becomes obvious after your first try. Would not go back to another brand. I ended up using a grinder to clean up the ends of the cable. The cable cutter I started with didn't leave the ends in very good shape.

Gore Ride-on

[Mar 18, 2010]
melineman

Strength:

Smooth, accurate shifting, looks, and Jagwire Customer Service is top of the line.

ZERO.

Great kit. Easy with the right tools (you need a good cutter, park or pedros). This works best if you have your old housing still on then just replace one section at a time, measuring and cutting. If not, it wasn't that hard to do it with a new frame. Love the uber-crispy shifting. Light years better than SRAM stuff. Looks sweet.

THE BEST: Jagwire customer service. My brake housing (not my shift housing, read my Ripcord Brake Housing review)was to short. Jagwire solved this within two emails (a dude with just one name, MacLayne, thats because he is so badass he only needs one name), 24 hours, and a courteous and professional attitude. Unless I have a catastrophic failure of these systems, I am a converted lifetime customer. My XT front and XTR rear came to life with this kit. You def get what you pay for when you spend a little extra. I will write a long term review in the fall. THANKS JAGWIRE!

SRAM (puke in my mouth a bit), Shimano (meh, decent), Shop stuff on 1000' spools.

[May 05, 2009]
jdncpa

Strength:

Strong, smooth, looks

You need a proper round cable cutter or the end caps are hard to install

I was a little frustrated with these cables at first as I was using a regular wire cutter for the job. The housing got a little frayed and was impossible to install the end caps. I purchased a round cable cutter and it made the job 100% easier.

Like most things in life, use the proper tools to get the desired results.

Avid

[Jul 03, 2008]
Frs1661

Strength:

Housing is attractive. Fairly cheap.

Cable diameter was a little smaller then stock on my Marin.

Shifting is much improved over my dirty stretched cables. No complaints.

[Jun 30, 2008]
suvowner

Strength:

easy to setup, light, and very low cable friction

cutting housing is tricky with dremel, have to cut for a split second then let it cool then cut again, about 5-6 breif small less than 1 second cuts to get through without melting inner lining

stock sram xo grip shifter have teflon cables of 1.1mm diameter, most bulk cables are 1.2mm and not teflon coated........and yes i could feel a difference..........

so installed this kit on a fisher supercaliber and couldn't be happier shifting is crisp, and grip turns with ease...rear cable is now fully protected all the way to derailer, should preserve shifting in bad weather....

stock

[Aug 17, 2007]
Jeff

Strength:

Light weight cables. Housing comes in cool colors.

Not enough housing length for the derailler diy kit. The feruls are plastic and lack options.

You will not have enough housing to run completely housed shift cables. There is just enough if you utilize the cable stops on your frame.

The contents of the kit contains feruls but the options kind of suck and all the feruls are cheap plastic.

The brake kit is good however with plenty of cable and housing. The housing is lighter than the cheap stuff and has a nice finish. Comes in pink, orange, brown and black.

Shimano

[Jul 10, 2007]
Gerald

Strength:

Strong housing, slick wires, good finishing details (caps, boots, etc)...

Not enough housing for a large frame bike. Mine is a medium (18) and I had just enough. I had to measure twice to make sure I had enough. I ended up trimming a little more. But it would definitely be nice if they would include more housing...

Great wires so far. I have not had them long enough to find any issues. I have a set of XTR that I could have used instead, but the Jagwires seemed a little better...housing-wise. The cable was exactly the same as XTR. The boots and end caps were slightly different.
My only big complaint is that Jagwaire needs to include a longer housing run.

Overall, great product so far... I will chime in back with a long term review...

Stock cables and housing...

[May 12, 2006]
John

Strength:

Slick coating on cable

Housing short, heavy, ferrule noodles too large

Very disappointed in this cable set. The biggest problem I had is the ferrule noodles are a larger diameter than XTR, and would not fit in the seat tube cable stop of my Fuel. There was not enough housing to fit my x-large frame, so I had to re-use old housing for the Front deraileur.
In spite of carefully preparing and grinding the ends square, the cable length never settles in, resulting in sluggish and sloppy shifting at the rear.
The Kevlar does not appear to serve any purpose at all. The housing is larger diameter and ~25% heavier than shimano. The rain boots do not seem to seal as well as XTR.
Sorry to say that I don't recommend this for anyone.

XTR, QBP