Jagwire Ripcord Brake Cable & Housing Kit Cables

Ripcord Brake Cable & Housing Kit

Jagwire Ripcord Brake Cable DIY Kit: Jagwire Ripcord Mountain Brake Cable & Housing Sets.

navymtbr   Weekend Warrior [Oct 25, 2010]
Strength:

Carbon look housing works well with my bike, carbon headset spacers. Slip on ferrules.

Instructions a little weak. Could use a couple of housing guides in the package.

Went from partial housing, OEM set-up used exposed cable on the top tube, to full housing with the ripcords. Difference in feel and modulation of the BB-7's is absolutely incredible. Brakes feel like hydros. Park CN-10 cable cutters made the job easy.

melineman   Cross Country Rider [Mar 18, 2010]
Strength:

Responsive braking. Transformed my Avid BB7's. Looks amazing. CUSTOMER SERVICE (see below)!!!

Housing a tad short to do front after running rear. NO WORRIES, the newer kits solve this (longer housing).

First and foremost, Jagwire needs a reward for impeccable customer service. My housing was too short to finish the front so I tried to jerry-rig it and consequently ended up cutting my front brake cable short to try to make it work. I emailed Jagwire, got a super-fast (24hr) response from one named MacLayne (John perhaps? haha) stating that older kits had this prob and took a bit to cycle them through the old stock in some shops. He asked for my email and the next day had my new housing out the door. ON TOP OF THIS Jagwire also replaced the brake cable I hacked too short, which I offered to pay for since it was my idiocy. The reason this customer service was so great was because Jagwire solved the problem, went above and beyond, did it within 2 emails, and made the process QUICK. Because of this experience, I bought my fiance a Pink housing/cable kit for her Rocky, and will now be switcing from over-hyped SRAM JUUUUUUNK to this system.

Performance wise, in my first few rides so far the verdict is: Best braking I have had with my BB7's period. No soft spots, no hesitation, just power. I was thinking of going hydro brakes but upon researching cables and going with Jag Ripcords I can honestly say that idea is out the window. This is a quality product, an easy to DIY kit (USE GOOD CABLE/HOUSING CUTTERS LIKE PEDROS OR PARK!!!), and it looks awesome. I will be back for more. SRAM can eat my a$$.

Similar Products Used: SRAM, Shimano, low end bulk shop stuff on 1000' reels.
Mike Sinkoski   Cross Country Rider [Jan 09, 2010]
Strength:

light weight, good looks, compressionless,nice end fittings

too short of housings for fully sealed routing

nice kit for builds or upgrades. Smooth action,compressionless housings that look good and are lighter than others. For the price housings should be longer, and Jagwire will send extra if they aren,t long enough/awesome!!New kits are supposed to come with longer housings.

Similar Products Used: shimano
mscookla   Cross Country Rider [Dec 12, 2009]
Strength:

Don't know yet

Although I have not used the product yet I have this comment. There is not enough housing to do two brakes on most mountain bikes in this kit.

Similar Products Used: Regular cheap cables and housing
BruceBrown   Cross Country Rider [Jun 25, 2009]
Strength:

Comes with everything you need to run full length housing to your mechanical brakes. Compressionless housing with great cables that glide so easily, one finger braking no longer requires any effort with the index finger. Try a bad lever and cheaper cable/housing to get that sponge and effort feel. ;-)

The housing is light compared to the less expensive housing and allows you to get a pretty decent weight weenie build at both brakes.

Coupled with great levers, this is by far the best performing housing/cables I have used since 2002 on my bikes. Cut them correctly and avoid too many bends in your cable routing and these brake kits bring your brakes to life again. Well worth it!

Similar Products Used: Specialized, Shimano, Avid
Langdog   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2008]
Strength:

Anti-compression housing and teflon coating combined make a very smooth cable.

Makes your friends feel bad about their crappy cables. :(
A little expensive?

These cables are the smoothest I've tried. Compared to my friends mech disc cables, these react much quicker on the return and give you great feel. I've experienced very little or no stretch in the six months I've had them.

Similar Products Used: OEM's on other bikes, my Spesh came with these, but I replaced them when swapping from rim to mech discs
Frs1661   Cross Country Rider [Jul 03, 2008]
Strength:

Attractive housing.

Lacked enough ferrules to do my bike. What are these POP ferrules? There's no instructions or explanation.

Wish they had given me enough ferrules to finish the job. I'd recommend you run full length housing, both for the increase in braking power and then you won't need extra ferrules. Braking power with these and the BB7's is excellent.

Todd   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2007]

I've used several differnt cable systems over the years, but I've never had a brake cable set-up cause so much drag. The rear brake felt awful. I switched back to the Avid Flack Jacket and that cured the drag problem. These cables are middle of the road at best.

Shawn   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2007]
Strength:

They lasted a long time and they never gave me any trouble.

None, really.

I can't really find anything to complain about with these cables. I changed them a couple of weeks ago because I got a new fork with longer travel and my front brake cable wasn't long enough. In all honesty, I probably could have just kept using the rear brake cable, though it was starting to get stiff from age. Other than normal wear and tear, these cables never gave me any problems. If I hadn't gotten tired of the "bulletproof Kevlar" gimmick, I probably would have bought another set.

5 chilis for value, 4 chilis overall because they did eventually start to wear out. (5 is reserved for perfection.)

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Jared Glenn   Cross Country Rider [Aug 06, 2005]
Strength:

Lots! Zero compression in the line. It's wrapped in Kevlar, so I'm now bullet-proof. The ferrules look great. The color/finish of the housing is really cool. Teflon coated wires!

None really. Just be sure not to cut your peices to long.

I run Avid mechanicals and could never get them to give me the power I wanted. I asked my local wrench if there was anything short if hydraulics I could do to improve the power and feel. He told me that he was turned onto these housings at Sea Otter and that for the money there was nothing better on the market. So, he ordered me a kit from QBP. Man, what a difference! I felt like Kirk asking Scottie for more power and man did he ever deliver! No more mushy feel in the lever and I swear the brakes are nearly as strong as any hydraulic system I've used. And this system is a lot lighter and much less expensive than the Nokon system I was also considering. If you want more power in your brakes, buy this system. It works!