Gore Bike Wear Ride-On Cables

Ride-On

Gore's patented coated cables are paired with proprietary housing to virtually eliminate friction and insure the most precise and effortless shifting.

83stumpjumper   [May 10, 2012]
Strength:

Smooth worry free shifting for years!

None!

I had these cables installed on my 1997 Stumpjumper Comp when I bought it. The shifting was flawless and smooth. I was even getting strong shifts up hills. Ran them for 14 years and NEVER had a problem! Last summer I noticed a crack in the front brake housing. I contacted the company and asked if I could just buy a new section of housing from them. They sent me a whole new kit!!! I had the new cables installed by a shop familiar with them, and I'm getting the same perfect shifts I had for 14 years prior. Get these cables and never worry about shifting again!

njdj   Cross Country Rider [Feb 27, 2012]
Strength:

Well designed--completely sealed against elements
Great Customer Service Department standing behind the product

I recently installed these on my bike and they rock. They look great and, most importantly, the shifts are very smooth. The system is completely sealed--unlike some of the others (like the Jagwires). Functionally, I can see these staying in great shape for a long time because it will be very hard for them to get fouled with dirt.

That said, the cables are great, but the Gore Customer Service is even better. I messed up my installation and slightly kinked one of the liners. It was my fault--a noob mistake. I contacted Gore and they sent me a new one. I was so bummed but now I am happy again!

Anyway, if you are in need of new cables, these are worth the extra money. Great product and they really care about their customers. I appreciate a company like that and I know which brand I will buy in the future. A+++

Similar Products Used: Standard, non-sealed cables
bobneids   Racer [Nov 16, 2011]
Strength:

Smooth Shifting

Breaks after 3 Months of use

Breaks after 3 month of use.
Had one break during a race at the shifter, replaced with the same exact thing, thinking I was doing something wrong. On replacement I packed the shifter area with waterproof grease, then the day before another race, I had the second cable break.
I took the shifter apart the night before the race, the grease was still intact, no rubbing found on any surface. When I got it off the bike, I also realized it was ready to snap at the derailleur as well, only hanging on by a few strands.

Similar Products Used: Jagwire
TCovert   Cross Country Rider [Apr 20, 2011]
Strength:

Continuous inner liner seals out dirt. Smaller diameter cable reduces friction

Stock cables on my Jamis started shifting hard after about 6 months. Lube would help for a while but then they seemed to get worse (lube pull dirt in?). Switched to Gore and I'm never going back. Liner within a liner helps keep gunk out and the reduced friction when shifting is noticeable. You can install these yourself if you purchase/have the cable cutting tool and a little bit of patience. Customer service is excellent as well. I wore out the end of one cable after a year (I'm 53 and do ALOT of shifting) and they promptly replaced it under warranty. Highly recommend.

Similar Products Used: Stock Shimano shifter cables
RevRacer   Weekend Warrior [May 13, 2010]
Strength:

Installation was really quite easy and the smoothness of shifts is a big improvement over the Jagwire products that came with the product. Not that Jagwire was bad, they are just in another class. I used to have problems with the brake cables freezing or getting dirt after a trail ride causing a loss of braking.

Expensive

Great product for functionality. They don't have the flashy colors, but they work very well. I have installed both brake and derailleur sets and both work much better than stock.

Similar Products Used: Jagwire
ncjumper   Cross Country Rider [Apr 29, 2010]
Strength:

Great product. Right off the bat my shifting issues were gone, because it has been awhile since my last cable replacement. Low friction and buttery smooth. I just upgraded my '05 Epic with lots of maintenance and some newer parts but this should have been the first thing I did. It was that noticeable. Easy install, great video on the website.

Price I guess. But you get what you pay for in this case.

As long as you install them correctly, you will be happy with this product.

Similar Products Used: Shimano and SRAM stuff.
svtrich1   Weekend Warrior [Apr 13, 2010]
Strength:

Very smooth and easy shifting. I ride in the rain and snow, I have not had any issues with shifting.

Cost. I did notice that the rear derailleur cable slipped over the winter, but it's likely that I didn't tighten the cable enough.

If/when they wear out I'll buy them again.

Similar Products Used: SS cables from shimano
JeffThomas   Cross Country Rider [Mar 30, 2010]
Strength:

Buttery-smooth, low-friction shifting,

Extremely long-lasting.

More difficult to properly set-up than standard cables.

I installed Gore Ride-On Cables (both derailleur and brake) on my bike ELEVEN YEARS AGO and they're STILL frikken' awesome. Yes...the Shimano cables that came on my bike lasted around a year. I replaced them with Gore Ride-Ons and the Gore have so far lasted more than 10 times longer!

I raced on these cables a few times when they were new, but for the most part I'm just a cross-country recreational rider who loves technical singletrack, reliable lightweight high-quality equipment, and fast riding.

Since these cables were installed, they've been with me all over the dusty Moab, Utah area (on probably 7 or 8 trips), SLC/Park City area, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Marin County, New Mexico, Phoenix, Tuscon, Sedona, Flagstaff, all over Colorado, two hut-to-hut trips from CO to UT, North Carolina, as well as hundreds of rides closer to my home, in IL, IN, WI, and MI. Trust me, my cables have been used! They've been through mud, dust, and monsoon-like rains.

At the time I bought these, reviewers on this site just SLAMMED them for failing after a few rides. But I'm 99% sure that those who have experienced problems with these cables did not install them properly. They're tricky to install. Most people don't want to bother reading and understanding instructions. And I would guess that many bike mechanics didn't take the time to read and understand how to PROPERLY install these cables either.

I also installed these cables on my wife's bike a year after I did my own. She doesn't ride quite as much as I do, but her cables are also still going strong after 10 years.

Once installed, I have never done anything to maintain these cables. They just keep on working.

Sure, they're more expensive than other cables. But when you factor in their superior performance, their maintenance-free nature, and their ability to far outlast the cheaper competition, they're an extreme VALUE.

Buy them. READ THE DIRECTIONS. Install them. And don't give them another thought for years...

Similar Products Used: Standard Shimano cables
jfrederickisme   Racer [Feb 26, 2010]
Strength:

Fully sealed

Price

These cables are incredible. I upgraded from the SRAM Ride On cables that were supposed to be fully sealed cabled but started cracking after one season. After upgrading to these shifting ease increased ten fold. These things are buttery smooth. They are a little pricy but highly recommended if you ride frequently in muddy or very disty conditions.

They paid for themselved in my first race that was wet and muddy. While every one else was having shifting problems I flew right on by for a 2nd place finish.

Similar Products Used: SRAM Ride On cables
cda mtn biker   Cross Country Rider [Jan 08, 2010]
Strength:

sealed cable system, low friction, accurate shifts, the only maintenance required after one year of riding was to fine tune the cable tension after the break in period. The best customer service department.

May seem pricy compared to other cable systems out there. But you get what you pay for.

The cables will improve any drive train. Smooth and accurate shifting everytime. I ride almost year round and these cables have been put through a lot. They are sealed to keep the grit, grime and mud out allowing them to shift spot on everytime. They also held up great to the dry dusty conditions of late summer where other bands (Shimano/Jagwire) required daily maintenance or produced poor shifting results until they were cleaned and lubed.
They also have one of the best customer service departments out there. The guys at Gore Ride-On Cables are great! Thanks for all the help Lou.