Delta Teflon Cables Cables

Delta Teflon Cables

matt   Cross Country Rider [Apr 11, 2006]
Strength:

teflon inside and out. low friction

hard to cut clean, even with a good pair of wire clippers

I have used these cables many times over and over only because they are the best cables performance bike sells, and I get free coupons for thier store. However, they don't last long at all. the housing has this really thick metal casing, that is hard to cut clean. Every time you cut it, the inner lining is kinked. The furruncles will not keep water out of the housing, so it will rust. These cables will work great for 2 months. Then they will cease and not work at all. Replacement every 2-4 months.

Similar Products Used: jagwire, gore rideon
Dan   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2007]
Strength:

These seem like well designed/constructed cables, but I can only comment on the operation of the front brake cable which was smooth, precise, with good modulation. I can not comment on the operation of the rear cable because (see weaknesses)

Delta did not send me enough parts for a complete installation (missing 1 linear pull brake cable guide). No big deal except that I had to call on 3 separate occasions requesting the part. Delta seemed helpful at first - claiming each time to send the part.

The part never showed up - even though the third time that I called, I offered to pay for the shipping. So half the cable set is not usable because of a small plastic part.

Similar Products Used: Factory cables
EzE   Downhiller [Oct 24, 2006]
Strength:

NONE!!!

This cable s**ks, it's crap period, the cable line frayed after one cut and it detangles ALMOST ALL THE WAY, On top of that the wire grouping is not a tight fit like the XTR or Gore Tex cables, AND the teflon is lame the coating is one coat so the cable becomes dry, I swear DELTA makes cables for Huffys'.

Don't buy these go for XTR Shimano Cables you can get those cheaper then these rip off cables. I was in a rush to get them that's why I had to get a set, BIG MISTAKE SAVE YOUR $ get better ones. I recommend XTR cables very nice, even though some of the XTR parts break, I won't comment to many to name.

Similar Products Used: XTR Shimano Cables, and Ride-On Gore Tex cables.
smokey   Cross Country Rider [Apr 05, 2001]
Strength:

same as my first report last year. cables have needed zero
maintenance and still work perfectly. i'm pretty picky about
the shifting on my bike and these cables make for really slick shifting.

same as before. you just need to have the right tools to cut
them, especially the housing. a park cutter or dremel work well.

have been using these cables for a year now and they still perform like new. have been through dust, mud, rain, snow, and some pretty good crashes. they were a great buy, many other aftermarket cables cost more than twice as much.
i'm still pretty new to mountain biking, but have been a motorcyclist for 29 years and good cables are critical for
both of them. if you want to get the best out of those fancy new derailleurs and brakes, make sure you get the best
possible cables for them. in my opinion, the delta cables are a very good choice.

Similar Products Used: stock cables.
Green Giant   Cross Country Rider [Nov 01, 2000]
Strength:

Nothing

mmm.. where to start. Not smooth right out of the box, stiction from hell.

The biggest waste of money I have spent on a cycling product over 15 years of mtbing. 40 bucks for a full brake and shift cable set. Installed properly, I used to run a shop and build up several bikes a year still, thought I'd give them a whirl. Took them off after one ride, causes spongy braking and tight shifting. Put on regular cables and housings, and bingo everything is all good. I would never, ever recommend these cables to anyone, especially for 20 bucks for a brake or cable set. Just horrible crap. Didn't render things useless, however when 2 dollar cables and 50 cent housing work considerably better they are a huge waste. Do NOT buy this product.

Similar Products Used: Regular shimano cables and housings
smokey strodtman   Cross Country Rider [Sep 03, 2000]
Strength:

improves shifting and braking, reduces maintenance.

housing is much stiffer than stock so it is important to cut it to the correct length.

well worth the money! i think this is one of the single best upgrades that can be made to any bike. you will notice a difference, especially in your shifting. it's important to use the correct tools when installing. i used a park cable cutters for the cable and a dremel with cut-off wheel for the housing, then LIGHTLY rounded the hole in the housing with an awl. getting the correct length on the housings is important, too. went for a pretty muddy ride last week and it didn't bother my cables at all, ferrules did a good job of keeping out grit and mud. 5 big flamers for value and overall!

Similar Products Used: stock cables.
Quakeroats   Cross Country Rider [Jun 29, 2000]
Strength:

teflon,stiff housing.

I dont understand what everyone is complaining about. If your not a hack mechanic, these cables should work flawlessly. The stiffer the housing the better. Dont these hacks know that flimsy housing makes for mushy brakes or shifting? Didnt think so.

Similar Products Used: regular stuff.
Mick   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2000]
Strength:

None that I could find!

Incredible lack of durability!

Upshifts on the rear derailleur were slow and unreliable, and I thought I might have a problem with cable drag. Although I couldn't find any real drag, I thought I'd treat my bike to a set of Teflon-coated cables, and I bought these. I installed and them, with new ferrules for good measure, checked for freedom of movement, and went for a test ride. The first time I went through the gears, shifting seemed OK. A couple more times and the problem was back - in fact, it seemed worse. Then I noticed that the front derailleur wasn't shifting properly either - and there hadn't been a problem on that end! I checked the cables and discovered that so much of the Teflon coating had scraped off around the ferrules that my housings were so clogged up with the debris that proper shifting was impossible. I’d ridden less than a quarter mile, and gone through the gears three or four times! The dealer I ordered them from was willing to replace them, but why replace crap with crap? I went to a local bike shop and bought a set of no-name plastic-coated cables, for about a buck and a half each, and had no further trouble. Maybe I should’ve been wary when I saw these cables listed for about a third of what Avids go for. The old saw about how you get what you pay for comes to mind, but in this case I didn’t even get what I paid for – I got nothing but worthless crap. One flaming chile only because none isn’t an available option.

Similar Products Used: No-name coated cables from a lbs.
Val Atkinson   Cross Country Rider [Jan 19, 2000]
Strength:

Easy installation, no cable stretch

So-so cable ferrules

Have had these on my bike for 6 months now and they still shift great, and the cables did not stretch very much at all. They greatly improved the shifting of my 9 speed drive-train, which can be more finicky than 8 speeds. I would not use 9 speed shifters without these. I think good cables are one of the best upgrades for the money. I have not tried their brake cables since I have disc brakes. I am amazed at the people who will dump 2 grand on a bike and then use cables that are the same quality as those on a Huffy! If 25 bucks is too much money to improve one of the most critical areas of your expensive bike, then buy a pair and just use them on the rear derailler. Front derailler adjustment is not as picky, and uses less housing, so friction is not as much of a problem anyway.