Avid Flak Jackets Cables

Bullet-proof Kevlar® mesh renders our compressionless Flak Jacket cable housing lighter, more flexible and impervious to thrashing. Ultralow-friction Teflon® coated cables make for smooth, effortless control. And the Shield-Lock liner slip over the Shield-Lock ferrules to seal the entire system from mud, grit and grime.

Rich   Weekend Warrior [Aug 05, 2012]
Strength:

Durability

I have had these cables on my GT for 10 years & they have performed flawlessly. I recently bought new levers that changed te lengh of my cables so i am looking to buy another set of them. I had no problems cutting the cables ( i used a dremel tool with a cutting wheel). I ride mainly on canals that are dusty & have never had a problem.

nutz   Weekend Warrior [Oct 11, 2010]
Strength:

smooth shifting, little to no drag/resistance, looks, design and they last

dificult to install, speciality tools (good cutters) needed

these are great wires, I got a set of brake wires in '02 from Avid and installed em on my (then new) XC bike. I noticed the feel imediatly after installing em, the plastic tubes (while faded bad now) have kept the rear wire in great shape, I blow em out every season with some compressed air thats it. I believe 99% of the problems listed above were from install errors and lack of proper tools...if you are not a bike mechanic or dont have acess to some quality tools take em to the bike store to get installed

Similar Products Used: shimano
skijunky720   Weekend Warrior [Feb 17, 2010]
Strength:

Bombproof, Bulletproof, Weatherproof, and all over amazing.

Slightly harder to install than bare cables.

This is a great cable housing setup. BUT!! If you dont take the time to install them properly, then you're gonna have a bad time. I have put these on two bikes i've built, and they have held up perfectly for the last 2 years. I use these in all kinds of conditions, ranging from Oregon summers and downhill/AM use, to North Dakota winters riding through snow slush and 0 degree temps. IMHO, any problems with this setup is because the end user did not spend the time to install them correctly. With a very small amount of mechanical skills and a sharp pair of cutters, these are not difficult to do very well. I do suggest to use a touch of vaseline or grease on the ferrule/housing and ferrule/stringer connection, to completely seal them from the elements. My room mate also uses these on his XC bike as an upgrade from stock wire setup, and it was like a whole knew bike after the change. His bike has been ridden more than mine and still looks like it was installed yesterday. This is a great product and definately does NOT deserve the bad reviews that have been posted for it.

Similar Products Used: xt, stock BS, Jagwire
CBL   Racer [Jul 26, 2009]

Poor cable housing construction

These metal braiding is not bonded to the housing. On housing installed with a bend in it the metal wires kept creeping out of the housing and pressed against the shifter cable making shifting difficult. I trimmed up the wires a couple of times in 3 months before ditching this product for Shimano XT cable housing....much better.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT cables
IF52   Cross Country Rider [Oct 06, 2008]
Strength:

They are just a nice basic cable and housing set

The strands wound into the outer jacket are a pain to cut cleanly, but the clean up with scissors so no worries

I've had no problems with these cables and housings other than the aforementioned issue with cutting the outer jacket cleanly. I think you pay a little more for these than for Shimano cable/housing sets, which impacts the value rating since these perform no better. They look pretty cool I guess.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Dia Compe, Jagwire
fisher_rider05   Cross Country Rider [Sep 15, 2008]
Strength:

smooth shifting, keeps mud and dirt off cables, looks nice

doesn't last, pain to install

This cable set made a nice gift but it was a pain too install because it was impossible to make a clean cut in the housing. Now the housing has given up and lost its compression and starts to make sharp creases when shifting. It was fun while it lasted but I wouldn't buy another set.

Similar Products Used: avid straight jacket, stock cable/housing set
Mike N.   Cross Country Rider [Sep 08, 2008]
Strength:

Unknown

Parts don't fit, instructions incomplete.

Purchased for maximum power to BB7 rear brake. Instructions inadequate and incomplete. Instructions refer to parts by name, but do not list or describe those parts. Silly tubes seemingly designed to catch and hold dust, etc. SRAM ferrules too big for frame's cable stops; prefer not to drill my frame for silly ferrules. Read reviews on MTBR: uh oh! Put instruction sheet and ferrules back into package, and returned to REI for exchange for good old jagwire cable. Mountain biking: as addictive as cocaine, but more expensive!

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Jagwire standard cables, housings
dbruning   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2008]
Strength:

Matches Avid's Full Metal Jacket Brake systems.

After 2 and a half rides, cable housing shifted as in other post. This messed up my shifting and left me with a useless bike for the holiday on a mtb specific trip (thank goodness for the SS backup!) Problem as described in other accounts!

Was hoping for the best and got the worst. I will replace with stock cable housing and return to REI under 100% guarantee satisfaction.

Similar Products Used: stock cable housing (no problems after many installs and years (yes years, Avid!) of use.
Alex   Weekend Warrior [Jul 19, 2007]
Strength:

Excellent ferrules and outer shield system.(though I wish red wasn't the only color..clear or black, and sell the ferrules and shields seperately! please!)

As other reviews described, the inner shield wires migrate out of the inner tube and jam into ferrules. Also had a piece of the inner teflon sleeve migrate into the rear derailler shifter pod housing!! I too thought this was a fluke and reinstalled sections after carefully trimming and opening the inner sleeve etc, I use Shimano pro cable cutters...but after 3 times I've had it. Too many ruined rides from bad shifts at the worst times! Enough! I switched to using some housing that came with XT pod shifters with the Avid ferrules and red tube system and this combo has been trouble free. I don't hose the bike down, I let mud dry then brush off or use damp rag. Have ridden in rain and still the tubes are clear. The Turner's cables run on top of the top frame tube so are exposed to everything (but still a better place than on the front of the downtube!)

I installed several cable sets to date, this is the first one to have these stupid issues of repeatedly migrating inner wires. The outer 'woven' wires are fine, it's the non-bonded 22 ga. wires which surround the teflon cable tube that are the problem! The Gore were the best even with the crazy 'creaking' noise they made...somebody re-issue them or fix the Flak inner jackets! I'm a reasonable guy but this is the definition of a 'defective' product.