White Industries Cro-Mo Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

Cro-Mo Bottom Bracket

White Industries Cro-Mo Bottom Bracket

mohouli   Weekend Warrior [Feb 20, 2009]
Strength:

I have the Titanium version, and I have had it for 17 years. The set-up is very light, and it works fine.

The bearings rust readily, I don't ride in water, I guess the water comes in when I wash the bike.

The setup is very light, and White Industries will give you replacement bolts for it if you need them. Enduro Max bearings are easily found. Don't use the titanium crank bolts, they may gall, so replacement will be imposible to do.

Similar Products Used: I used a WTB bottom bracket the first time the bearings rusted out. Suntour, Shimano, Campagnolo
rudy   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 22, 1999]
Strength:

finely machined
durable
spins like nothing else
adjustable chain line

the ti version of this bottom brachet has been on a merlin for 5 years. It is absolutely the best bb i've ever used. smooth, easily adjustable, finely machined well sealed.

Similar Products Used: too many too mention
K   weekend warrior [Mar 01, 1999]

I've had this bottom bracket on various bikes over the past few years, and I can say that I've been nothing but pleased with its performance. What really makes it nice is the super simple chainline adjustment. Simply loosed 6 tiny allen-head pins, lightly tap the spindle or crank (this can be done with the cranks installed!) until the required position is attained, and snug up the allen pins. The bearings have always been, and remain, buttery smooth with no slop whatsoever. Sure you can spend huge bucks on a stupid light Ti BB, or just buy good long lasting reasonably light stuff that will outlive the framesets they're installed on. This is one great no-frills product.

Marcus Ward   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2003]
Strength:

flawless dirt seal, easy installation

none that I know of

I've got the titanium version. This bottom bracket has been on my bike for what, 8 years now? I recently took it apart after not maintaining it for 5 years and it was fine, the grease seal was still solid and the bearings were fine. I don't ride through lakes, I think I'd check it if I did that. I weigh 250 lbs and it doesn't flex much and seems solid. I've ridden tons of xc on this thing and it's bombproof. Love it. I don't know if I'd use this for downhill bombing but it's great for xc.

Similar Products Used: shimano cartridge
guy grimsley   Cross Country Rider [Dec 28, 2000]
Strength:

I got the Ti spindle had it installed and forgot about it

after 4 years of maintinance free xc riding I rode through a lake(3 to 4 feet deep 200 yards long) and 2 months later the sealed bearings finally went.Started freeriding and bent the Ti spindle

For xc hands down no complaints ,but not for freeriding ,I think I'll try a phil wood next

Similar Products Used: first aftermarket bb
joe   Cross Country Rider [May 17, 2000]
Strength:

Light, adjustable chain line.

Weak, soft aluminum used in cups. Bearings are not sealed well. You can only remove one seal (unless you you want to press out the bearing) which makes it difficult to service the bearings.

The bottom line is that this is the last time I buy a product just because it's light. If you are a little guy who weights 135 or less you may be able to use this BB without trouble. Rudy, up there lives in New Mexico and thats why he thinks it's well sealed. I've used it for one winter/spring in norcal doing a few wet rides and the bearings are shot(not happy). "k" is weekend worrior so it doesn't get much use, and no you can't addjust the chainline with the cranks on. Take my word for it get a sealed BB like a syncros, only 35grams more(8 seals).