Truvativ Sealex Spline BB SL Bottom Bracket

Truvativ Sealex Spline BB SL Bottom Bracket

Truvativ BB's. Featuring the ISIS Drive System, Our spline BB's are 25% stiffer with twice the strength* which means you'll spend more of your time on your bike... not in the shop.

• CNC machined AL
  • Sealed cartridge
  • Hard chromed spindle

*as compared to a equivalent square hole crank and bottom bracket.

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 26, 2003]
    King Bernas

Strength:

None beyond the fact that they fit ISIS drive cranksets, which by the way aren't any better then shimano octalinks.

"Sealed" bearings.

I went through two of these BB's in the past year. the first one developed play after around 6 mos but it was used in a bunch of adventure races, a 24 hour race & a lot of wet muddy rides so i guess that was understandable. the next one didn't last much longer though, despite the fact that i was more diligent with having my bike serviced around once a month during our rainy season (muddy, wet rides, river crossings, etc.) yet it still broke! worse it happend during the first day and 35 km into a three day 120 km bikeout in the Cordilera! it developed play, started squeaking before finally, literally grinding to a halt! i had to bail and take a long bus ride home while the rest of my friends rode on.

While this BB has been on some set, muddy rides, it hasn't gone through anything that i haven't done on my old square taper Shimano UN-52, which by the way still works fine! i bought the ISIS FSA cranks & Truvativ BB because i was upgrading & wanted to try something other then Shimano. what a disappointment! the FSA's are great but if the Truvativ SL is indicative of the quality of ISIS bbs, forget it! they're expensive too! they're priced at the same level as Shimano XTR bb's, and a lot more then the XT/LX model!

i replaced the Truvativ w/ an FSA Ultimax Pro (only one i could get at the local shops since apparantly ISIS BB's are really hard to find here in the Philippines) that was at least the same price as the Truvativ SL (but still more then Shimano's. but i've learned my lesson though. as soon as i can afford it i'll be replacing the whole crankset/bb with Shimano

Shimano UN-52

[Dec 01, 2001]
    Doug

Strength:

Adjustable serviceable bearings (I think)

None...yet

I started with a Race Face Prodigy ISIS but the bearings were shot in less than 3 months. My LBS replaced it under warranty with the Truvative. it has been fine for the last four months with zero problems. However after just now reading the other reviews I am nervous as hell. If I had read these reviews earlier I would have never let the LBS put it in! What is left to use? I have no trust in Truvative or Race Face at this point. Wasn't Chris King in on this ISIS project? Where is his bottom bracket?

Shimano square taper, Race Face Prodigy ISIS

[Jul 02, 2002]
    Geoff Goldsmith

Strength:

Fitted well onto the bike

Creaked far too much, poor quality bearings

I was initially happy with this bottom bracket until it began to creak like a mofo shortly into it's life. A bit of grease seemed to solve this problem but then I noticed that it started to feel notchy. This combined with a return of the creak.
    The BB finally expired when we broke it trying to disassemble it.
    Looking at the innards of the BB I could not help but be disappointed at the state of wear of the bearings which had only done about 2000k's of cross country riding.
    I would not buy another truvativ BB although I do like their cranks (I am using stylo teams).

Shimano, FSA

[Mar 13, 2002]
    Mat Wintzer

Strength:

Relatively light. Uses the ISIS drive. Extremely affordable. Not Shimano. Maintenance free

Should come with some lock tite on it or some pipe threading tape.

I have had no problems with the Truvativ BB. It works fine. It is stiffer, lighter, quieter, and cheaper than Shimano. It seems like most peoples problems stem from a lack of lock tite or threading tape. Most of these poor reviews would not exist if Truvative put lock tite or threading tape on their equipment.

If you are having problems with your BB or crank set coming loose, go to the hardware store and buy pipe threading tape for $0.65 and place it on the bottom part of the thread closest to the bolt. This will prevent it from coming loose and rusting shut.

Shimano LX (that creeked on every stroke even without a load)

[Dec 02, 2001]
    Charlie

Strength:

It works, Fairly light

Requires special tool

My bottom bracket works. After about 6 months of use I noticed that some side to side play had developed and I took it to Matt at Adventure in Mesa as I didn't have the "special" tool. I don't know what he did, but there is no more play.

So at this point I would have to say that this is a good product. I weigh 215 and am an aggressive XC trail rider -- I don't know what others are doing to break these things.

Another year and I'll give the thing 5 flaming turds.

Shimano XT taperd spindle

[Dec 03, 2001]
    Brian Shiverdecker

Strength:

Super stiff, ISIS Drive compatible, Smooth, Rebuildable, great value.

non yet!

I'm a fairly serious racer and I've been using my Truvativ bottom bracket for almost a year and it's still holding up great. I just wanted to give ISIS Drive and Truvativ a bunch of Chilis and let everyone know that it's working well. I'll probably get a 2002 version for next seaoson, I've heard rumors of some improvements.

R.I.P. George

Peace!

Shimano XTR, XT and LX. World Class.

[Dec 03, 2001]
    Shawn

Strength:

Can you get any closer to profection? This thing is Bomb proof. The Bottom bracket will not lose its smoothness. Its like butter (Only Smoother). I definatly would say this is the best BB out on the market. The best thing to do is run Truvativ cranks along with it. Then you know your getting optimum usage out of you BB.

Not a single thing.

Get off you lazy butt and go buy one.

Every other crap on the market.

[Jan 25, 2002]
    Dave

I bought a Truvativ crankset and wore out the chainrings, crank arms constantly came loose and the BB developed about an inch of slop in less than three months. Truvativ told me that i needed to tighten the BB and the tool i needed was not available yet, i would have to send the BB back to them to tighten. Question: Why would Truvativ make a BB that they knew would need serviced and not have the tool available? Truvativ was good about sending me another BB, i even got some cool stickers. However this one has lasted less than two months. Although i race and ride alot i only weigh 140lbs and a BB should last at least a season. My shimano LX BB lasted over 5000 miles!!

raceface XS ISIS

[Oct 21, 2002]
    Alan

Strength:

Less than 100m iles on a bottom bracket and the bearings are shot, poor quality, poor customer service!

If this crap comes on your bike ask your shop for a credit and replace it with something else! This is not the first problem I have had with truvativ. My BB on my Kona Stinky Deluxe had the outter retainer ring sheer off like some of the other people in the reviews I read. I sent the back to truvativ and they never even responded to it.

Shimano un72, world class ti, Shimano Dura-Ace, Shimano Ultegra.

[Jan 21, 2004]
    Joe Case

Strength:

ISIS Drive

short life span, not

Came with the bike and is just about dead after 5 months of use. Guess it can last longer if you stick to fire roads and flat single track, but according to mech at the shop, just not designed to handle any kind of sustained bump or abuse. Started hearing slight grinding after a couple of months (about 300 miles), then just went downhill quick from there. Will give RF or FSA a shot next.