Truvativ Powerspline Bottom Bracket

Powerspline

TruVativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket. Proprietary spline design popular as OE spec with many moderate-priceTruVativ cranks. Proprietary spline design popular as OE spec with many moderate-priceTruVativ cranks Please note:This item is NOT ISIS Compatible Item Specifications BB Shell Width 68 mm Weight 305 g BBThreadType English Spindle InterfaceTypeTruVativ Power Spline

ChewynMe   All Mountain Rider [Dec 02, 2012]
Strength:

Will get you back to the car if not broken?

Noisy, rough rider, low-quality, proprietary

The PS BB came on my Trek Cobia. After my initial 4 rides I returned to LBS due to uneven pull from the crankset. Oddly enough, there was 5mm of play. This was 10 months ago before I spent so much time on MTBR learning about these things. Since that trip to the LBS, I have gone back 4 times and each I have had the same amount of play. This BB causes a loss in efficiency (especially on climbs), cracks/squeaks/squeals like there in no tomorrow, and collects dirt/mud/grime like a Dyson vacuum. I understand the price is not great, but neither are the prices of a decent BB30, GXP and even the Octalinks (which are similar) have better marks for about the same price. This BB going in my trash pile as soon as I can upgrade my crankset.

phinx^007   Cross Country Rider [Jul 21, 2008]
Strength:

Good commute Bottom Bracket

After a year it started creaking and it is near impossible to replace bearings or even grease them so if you have money to waste on a new bottom bracket every year go right ahead.

If it came with the bike, use it till it ceases and don't go out and buy this Bottom Bracket again if you can help it

Similar Products Used: campagnolo
Billy   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2007]
Strength:

price

compatability

I mtn. bike all winter and usually trash two BB's each season with the snow, slush, mud and road salt. I also do some shoreline riding and pick up sand and salt water. The price attracted me to the PS and I had my shop install one. The crank bolts loosed up on the initial ride, I tightened them and the problem has not repeated. I grease and lube on a regular basis and have not had any noise. Not only did the PS get me through the winter, it is still going strong. For the first time ever I have had to replace chainrings before the BB. And, I installed a PS when I rebuilt my other bike.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore
Ray   Weekend Warrior [Aug 20, 2007]
Strength:

This BB is what came on my bike. I was on my 4th one in a year and called it quits. I called Truvativ and they sent me their Style Pro Crank with the GXP BB, and it too has now failed after 1 year. They are sending me another GXP BB, which will be my last Truvativ product.

This BB is pretty much junk and I would not recommend them to anyone. They are not interchanable with anything.

Similar Products Used: raceface,shimano
Andy Walker   Cross Country Rider [Jul 23, 2007]
Strength:

Well its gotten me this far but...

I just removed it from my bike to clean and it feels like its full of sand when I turn it. So I look to upgrade it online and then it hit me, I cant. Not unless I want the exact same piece o' crap. I feel betrayed by specialized and disappointed with Truvativ. I was thinking of getting a new truvativ crank eventually, the stylo 3.3, but i wont buy from swindler or cheat that takes advantage of me. fool me once shame on you, fool me twice? No freak'n way! DO NOT BUY THIS OR ANY TRUVATIV PRODUCTS!!!!

Noisy, Heavy, Cheap, NOT REPLACEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RATING: ONE HALF OF A FROZEN COLD CHILI

Similar Products Used: Nothing is similar to this piece of crap.
Jay Penev   Cross Country Rider [Jul 20, 2007]
Strength:

It worked for awhile.

Started creaking after several rides in the mountains and progressively got worse.

Not only that I had to replace it with something better, I also had to get a new crankset , because the stock one that came with it did not fit the new bottom braket (the GigaPipe DH). Do not waste your time on buying it. You'll go through many of these and it's a pain to pull them out and put the new ones in. Not to mention the waste of time. It's cheap, because it's made with cheap materials and in a cheap manner. Go for the more expensive stuff (within reason, of course).

Similar Products Used: Truvativ GigaPipe DH.
jabpn   Weekend Warrior [Jul 10, 2007]
Strength:

Crank and rings have held up just fine.

Starting to get some creaking indicitive of a BB failure in the future.

This BB came stock on my road bike. So, how has it held up? For the most part, being that it's a entry level bike, not bad. I've logged almost 7,000 miles on it and it is still going. In short, the BB was supposed to be a sort of splined replacement for square tapers. This is not a typical splined BB like an ISIS or Octalink because the spindle in much closer to square taper specs and so larger bearings can be used which proportionally, ideally anyway, means longer bearing life. However, the bearings are cheap and the seal design isn't all that great. Being that this BB is entirely proprietary and sealed I found that I couldn't get better bearings. Oh well, but I wish I could have. OTOH, replacing the crank and everything else is an expensive alternative. For $20 I'll probably just get another. It's really not that bad, but again, I'm using this on a road bike so adjust your expectations for a mtn bike. The BB price is definitely cheap enough that it's a good value for it's longevity. Overall though it's a marginal product at best.

Friedrich Leutz   Cross Country Rider [Jun 18, 2007]
Strength:

Strong Crank, hard worker

TOO Lose, too cheap, sounds like a soda pop bottle when it comes loose

It' a piece of crap which has to be tightened every two weeks and for what ?