Truvativ Power Spline Bottom Bracket

Power Spline

Power Spline bottom brackets feature a twelve-spline tapered spindle utilizing the same heat-treated Cromoly.

Roy   [Aug 31, 2013]
Strength:

Taking a high stress beating that comes with single-speed cranksets

Heavy-duty means heavier too.

This is a decent low cost bottom bracket. I find it pairs nicely with the ss cranksets I've got it mounted with, which has a big chainring on it. The smaller diameter spindle offers more rugged larger ball bearings, which has lasted at least 2000+ miles for me. Not bad for a dirt cheap BB. It's not what I'd race with if $$s was not an issue, and time was paramount. But for my training fixie, and my daily commuter, this is the go-to arrangement.

The only downside (and why it doesn't score perfectly) is the annoyingly proprietary spline dimensions, which limits upgrade paths.

casamtb   Cross Country Rider [Aug 15, 2012]
Strength:

none that i can think of

creaks and wears out yearly

worst BB ever. bought a 2007 GT Avalanche 2.0 as a beater/urban assault/winter bike and I am about to replace the BB for the 5th time. it would be fine if the OE just sucked and I could replace it with a better one... but no. only one size for this uniquely POS BB.

JJ   Cross Country Rider [May 12, 2010]
Strength:

Inexpensive, strong at the spline.

HEAVY! Cheap bearings and seals. NO performance replacement available!

While not a particularly bad BB, trying to find an immediate replacement when it does go out can be an issue. One that usually involves a two week special order wait. It is quite a heavy unit and there are no options to replace it with a lighter or better performing part. If you want to ditch the powerspline system, you also have to ditch your crankset so be prepared to spend some $$$$ if you head in that direction.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, A/C, Specialized.
Martin   Weekend Warrior [Apr 21, 2010]
Strength:

This bottom bracket is utter ....., I am now onto my third one in as many years and the bike really only gets used for commuting.

The oil seals are rubbish and don't manage to seal the crap out of the bearings resulting in rust and corrosion inside the bracket which mean clicks and clangs when riding.

As soon as I wear out the truvativ crankset I will be moving to shimano, truvativ are the end product of the alimentary canal.

Similar Products Used: Shimano - any of them
Steven Chebba   Cross Country Rider [Dec 25, 2009]
Strength:

performs like any bottom bracket I have ever used

heavy like all bbs in this price range and cannot be used with other cranksets

After purchasing my GT I investigated the quality/price of some of the stock components and at first was disappointed to see how cheap this BB is and I know for just a little more money a bottom bracket gets a lot lighter (and to me the avalanche cannot afford to be any heavier) but it so far has performed well enough.

Similar Products Used: shimano UN line
jdub   Downhiller [Jun 14, 2009]
Strength:

Still running great

creaks

riding ss this bike takes a beating but the bb is the last thing I worry about great part, have run it over 4000 miles

Similar Products Used: square taper
gmrv4   Cross Country Rider [May 21, 2009]
Strength:

The BB bearings started to growl and grind after 2 years use. Went to several LBSs to replace, only to find out they were uncommon and low quality OE installed stuff. We finally found the correct replacement as I didn't want to spend the money to change out the cranks to a more common spline pattern.

When buying a new bike stay away from anything with a Powerspline BB.

Brakebreaker101   Cross Country Rider [Jan 04, 2009]
Strength:

Durable

Creaks

I love this bottom bracket. It has lasted well over 3000 miles and is still running smoothly. I plan to replace my cranks but keep this BB.