Truvativ GXP Bottom Bracket

Truvativ GXP Bottom Bracket

[Feb 01, 2018]
RustyIron

Strength:

The initial price is afordable

The plastic bushings wore out after a few hundred miles.

Purchased:
New
[Jan 11, 2015]
azgoat

Strength:

Cheap and easy to install

I need a new one after 5000 miles

I believe the reviews, but my experience has been different. I have a SRAM Force crankset with English 68mm BB on my steel rain bike. I live in Seattle, and have done NOTHING to service it in two years. It just started making noise after 5000 miles. I am replacing it with the same. YMMV.

[Dec 03, 2013]
Giblet

Strength:

Relatively cheap and easy to install

Poor longevity - non drive side bearing grease has washed out after 1 wet season
Poor seals - non-drive side outer plastic seal doesnt seem to keep the water and grit out
High maintenanence - based on the above seems like it needs to be stripped and cleaned regularly after wet rides

This BB came with the XX1 crank. Installed easy and initially nice and smooth. Have ridden it through one tropical wet season at a low mileage rate (<100 km/month). Stripped out the BB after the last ride (as per SRAM instructions) to get to the bottom of some squeeking and found the non-drive side bearing grease black and watery with grit inside the bearing causing a lot of friction. The drive side bearing appears fine with the grease still blue and no dirt ingress.
Figured I would see if they would resurrect before ditching the bearings for some Enduromax repacements. Washed out the crappy grease and grit in the bearing with isopropyl, checked the bearing ran smooth and repacked with grease using small syringe. Seems to be running smooth enough to get going again. Will see how long it lasts.
Cant complain too much since it is a pretty cheap BB, though definitely not as reliable as the former Hope BB with Enduromax bearings installed (ceramic bearings didnt last a wet season either).
Bottom line - if you have done a few wet rides, give then a check and re-grease as necessary.

Race Face, Shimano, Hope Ceramic

[Nov 12, 2013]
Nils Larsen

Strength:

Nice design, low price

Poor overall quality, sealing

Bought this X7 crankset w. GXP cups to try out something different than Shimano. SHOUDN'T HAVE! Riding in muddy/gravel trails during wintertime has shown that this product is not worth the money. The chainring is wearing down as fast as lightning and the sealing on the drive side is non exsisting. As some said how to avoid problems with SRAM: 1. Unscrew the SRAM piece. 2. Fit Shimano. 3. GO!.

Shimano LX

[Aug 31, 2013]
Al

Strength:

Poorly designed bottom bracket. As in a lot of the other reviews the cap/seal on the drive side comes loose, causing play in the crank. I have gone through two items, hoping that the first one was faulty but after reading countless reviews on this BB I realise that these BBs are just crap.

Save yourself the hassle and find something better. Sort it out SRAM and let us all know when you can design a good bottom bracket!

[Jul 05, 2012]
Chad Thomsen

Strength:

Price?

Crappy design!!!

I bought two of these thinking the first one was defective, and I was on a tight budget. Both of them the drive side plastic bearing cover comes loose and pulls out of the bottom bracket. On the second one this happened on the first ride after installing it. I used a gheto fix of electrical tape wrapped around the crank spindle that goes though the bottom bracket. Shame on you Truvative/SRAM for NOT FIXING this after its a known problem for a few years!!!! After I blow though these two crappy bottom brackets I am getting a Chris King. In the long run Chris King will be cheaper as it lasts forever and does not need a "gheto fix" to make it work. Enuff said!!

[Oct 12, 2011]
deadkenny

Strength:

Cheap, easy to fit, just works.

Perhaps cheap quality, but had little if any problems.

Numerous times I've stripped down the bike to clean and remove creaking which turned out to be coming from the pivots and not from the BB, every time. The BB has been on there for 2 years in the most muddy conditions possible and not a creak or grind from the BB itself.

One thing though is as mentioned about the fit. These were pre-fit and have just never been a problem. Servicing the pivots on my GT requires the cranks to come off, so I've done that a few times and first thing I read was a tip to tap the cranks with a rubber mallet when they're bolted back on just before a final torque to ensure they're tightly seated. Not sure if that was something GT or even SRAM said, or I just read it somewhere on the web, but I do that and torque up to spec. Never, ever used loctite and the GT manual never said to do so either (it specifies where on the bike to use the stuff).

Another thing I read somewhere was to use plenty of grease on the exposed parts of the bearings and the contact point of the crank, as well as the splined part of the crank axle.

Also, the Firex canks I've got are self extracting bolt style with just hex key on the axle bolt to remove and fit. This pulls the cranks together. Don't know if some have a different system, or all GXP cranks are like this. Again, torque to spec.

One other thing to point out is since many of these reviews, SRAM have made some modifications to the BB cups with better seals to avoid muck getting in there. Got another bike now with these BBs and will see how I get on with it.

[Sep 11, 2011]
PointBoy

Strength:

nothing

worst designed BB that I have ever used. Plastic dust cap/seal on drive slide constantly slides out causing play in the crank arms. I have two bikes with this bottom bracket, it happens on both bikes. My friend has a GF Rig and came with the same BB; happens on his bike too. Search these forums or google it and you will find countless people with the same problem.

not even an email address listed on the SRAM website? Come on - wth.

Shimano, Chris King, etc..

[Sep 06, 2011]
Ant-Eater

Strength:

Works well when new

durability.

These suck. This bottom bracket came stock on my Trek/Fisher Rig. I've been through three (3!) sets this summer. One set lasted less than 100 miles before becoming so loose and sloppy that I could feel the cranks move with each pedal stroke. Another set failed in the middle of a race so that I could not even pedal. Thanks. I finally go so sick of them that I ordered a Chris King bottom bracket. If I get a full season out of the King bearings it'll be cheaper than what I've spent on SRAM's junk this summer. SRAM/Truvativ should be embarrassed and ashamed to sell something as poor as these.

many different bottom brackets over the 25 years I've been riding.

[Aug 04, 2011]
John

Strength:

Still rotates smoothly, no drag, even after having the crankarms off and on many times for chainring swaps. There isn't any play in the bearings, yet.. Read on.

Starting to leak grease from the bearing seals.. Not a good sign of things to come. Probably will need replacement before the Fall.

GXP bottom bracket came stock on bike with a set of SRAM carbon cranks 2x10 setup. The bottom bracket is the cheap black cups GXP unit, about $25 everywhere so it won't be expensive to replace. Durability doesn't look good for the future as it was leaking grease from the bearing seals after only a month of riding. I prefer low maintenance over cheap replaceable components. Especially for something as critical to bike performance as the bottom brakcet.

Too many to bother listing. But the best so far has been a Race Face X-Type ATLAS bottom backet on my former bike that has lasted over two years now. Not too shabby..