Truvativ Giga Pipe SL Bottom Bracket

Giga Pipe SL

• Giga Pipe spindle: Bigger is better
  • Super stiff for maximum power transfer
  • Precision full-complement sealed cartridge bearings
  • CNC'd ISIS Drive interface and alloy cups
  • All models 68 or 73mm BB-shell / 113 or 118mm spindle width

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Aug 19, 2005]
Strength:

Early on it was smooth, somewhat strong

For the replacement price it wears out way too quick

Just back from my local bike shop to have minor play in bottom bracket/crank arms checked out. While not serious yet, the play in bracket cannot be removed and I expect this bottom bracket to wear quickly, according to the shop. I may have 500 kms on this bike. Very hard to accept that a semi high end product can wear so quick from light riding. Shop suggested to replace with the DH model. In our area they are proving to last longer but are heavier. The sl is not a good long term product! If you are buying a bike with this bottom bracket speced, I would suggest changing it before leaving the shop!

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Jonas Neeser   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2005]
Strength:

Light, easy to install

Develops play

The Truvativ Gigapipe SL bottom bracket quickly develops play. Plan on replacing it every year or two.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race Light (same bottom bracket, different decal)
Mike Rittig   Weekend Warrior [Aug 15, 2005]
Strength:

absolutely none.

Frozen butter has more strength than this BB. Total crap. Must be the worst BB on the planet. Shame I can't give it less than 1 chili.

I went through two of this pieces of sh** in four months. Fortunately, my LBS finally agreed to replace it with the DH version under warranty - many thanks to Leasure Lakes.

Similar Products Used: Gigapipe DH - perfect so far.
Paul   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2005]
Strength:

Stiff when it works...

Total disaster... Tragedy... Less than 500miles and it fits garbage can better than my frame...

Waste of money...

Gnagman   [Apr 01, 2006]
Strength:

Lasted just one year, about 4000 km. Developed play and the bearing was in pieaces.

Don't buy it!

Ugur   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2005]
Strength:

just a regular BB

it started to play in month and became worse later.

I ride light cross-country and race. I prefered the SL one that it should be stronger than the titanium ones however as written here it started to play in a month and became a garbage. I don't recommend this product to anybody.

Similar Products Used: First ISIS type I've ever used
Donal   Cross Country Rider [Feb 16, 2005]
Strength:

Fairly stiff.

Wears out in no time - less than 100 miles!

Crap sealing, or Truvativ must be using some patented mud-like grease for a lubricant. Very disappointing compared to Truvativ's excellent chainsets.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT tapered - lasted for ages.
Tom   Racer [Nov 09, 2004]
Strength:

They wear out really fast.

This was the first isis bb I had ever purchased, and did not know about the bearing issues. When it started to develope play in like a month, I came here and saw all the bad reveiws on isis. I wish I had came here first.

The dh version I own came stock on my gemini and I've never had a problem with it, so I figured why not get another one. Must be the extra bearings, I gotta hand it to c'dale for specking a good bb.

If you must run isis, don't get anything less than a dh version. Although they are heavier, the ones with less bearings don't last.

Similar Products Used: I have a dh version in another bike that has held up for a year and a half now.
Gavin   Racer [Aug 27, 2004]

It lasted only 5 months!

Dont Get This, Its Junk, It only Lasted 5 Months then it developed play and grinding bearings, after 7 months it felt like my crank had come loose cuz the play was so bad.