Truvativ Giga Pipe Max TI Bottom Bracket

Giga Pipe Max TI

The Max Ti model uses a whopping 4 sealed cartridge bearings for maximum life and bearing impact strength plus a titanium spindle.

mr. toad   [Mar 06, 2006]
Strength:

well I does come apart.

play

I thought this BB would be as good or better than my EB 71. 4 bearing and giga pipe, sound good. the thing had play after a month. I've put up with it for too long. Last night I took it out for the six month clean up inspection and took off a retaining ring. It looks like I can completely rebuild it. If I can get bearings from some one as cheap as I have for a set of wheels I rebuilt it might be worth keeping. The slop has got too much to put up with and I can't see any good replacements out there with out replacing cranks. thats too pricy for this year. I can't give it a one on the overall because it hasn't falled yet. Maybe there's HOPE.

Similar Products Used: every kind except Hope.
Matt   Weekend Warrior [Mar 09, 2005]
Strength:

Four sealed bearing sets, very stiff, stong, quite.

None.

This is an excellent bottom bracket. It is VERY stiff and strong. It's snug and does not rattle, squeak, or anything. The spindle is huge. It is an ISIS interface so it is only compatable with ISIS interface cranks. When I put my weight into the peddling with my old BB the flexing of it was painfully obvious. That's gone with this BB. There is no flexing with this thing. I would recommend it to anyone!

Similar Products Used: Truvativ square-type BB
Rob   Cross Country Rider [Oct 25, 2004]
Strength:

Durability

I have not thought about my BB since I installed it a year ago. This is a good thing, because I have gone through several and none of them have lasted this long. No problems with noise. Great customer service from them. I called before my purchase and was told about their warranty and how they will stand behind their products. If you are near 200 lbs or more and have found that BB do not last long for you try Giga Pipe Max Ti! There are lighter BB, but all the lighter BB I have tried have failed in 6-9 months.

Similar Products Used: FSA and Race Face
Daniel   Racer [Sep 09, 2004]
Strength:

Nada None Zip

Can't hear myself think over the noise this piece of crap makes. I've tried everything to shut it up!! Grease, Teflon tape, recommended torque, extra torque, and so on. If you make it to tight it takes effort to spin the crank because of the extra set of bearings, and if its as the specs say a grinding sound can be heard when spinning. I give up!!!

I'm not a newbie and i'm a pretty good wrench but I sucked it up and took the X to the shop to see if they could get it to stop scaring the wildlife and they gave up just like me. I paid a ton of money for this BB and its worthless. I gave it 2 chilis just because the crank does at least turn.
As you can see, my X is built with some of the best component's out there so it's not about the money. I now have a FSA and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

Similar Products Used: Raceface, FSA
Greg   Cross Country Rider [Jun 14, 2004]
Strength:

Warranty Dept is alive and kickin'

This is a follow-up to the review below. When I originally tried to email Truvativ, I must have sent it to the wrong address. The second time, I sent it to the right address and Rob called me back the same day.
It seems that this problem has occured on a few ti bikes. The specs on the threads and bearings in the ISIS BB are pretty exact. So, some ti bikes apparently may need to have the BB shell threads tapped a little "deeper" to accomodate and not cause the drag on the spindle when tightened.
Rob hooked me up with the crash replacement program which was more than fair since this problem was not necessarily their fault.
After that experience, the warranty dept certainly gets 5 chilis. I'll give them another 5 to redeem them further after I ride the new BB a bit....

Similar Products Used: several
Greg   Cross Country Rider [Jun 10, 2004]
Strength:

The promises sound great

Performance and durability are non-existent. As is the warranty department, so far.

Purchased on 4/8/04. Installed and noticed increased "drag" on the spindle as soon as the BB was snug. If you torqued as recommended, the spindle would not turn.
Sent my frame back to Moots to have BB shell re-tapped (thinking that was the problem). Per moots, the BB shell was fine.
Now, after less than 500 miles, the BB feels pretty trashed.
My initial inquiry (email) to Truvativ got no response. I'm giving 1 chili now and i'll reinforce it with another 1 chili if the warranty dept. doesn't come through......
Until CK comes out with a BB, the ISIS drive is just a good idea that didn't work out....