Specialized Elite Cartridge Bottom Bracket

Specialized Elite Cartridge

Bender Jr.   Weekend Warrior [Jul 03, 2002]
Strength:

Everything,only lasted 8 days then it bent and started to creak.

SPECIALIZED bikes are the best but i dunno why they would put that p.o.s on there bikes.

Similar Products Used: BMX,UN-72
Jim K   [Sep 10, 2001]

Had about 1500 miles on the bike when it developed the creak. Push hard on either pedal and the BB would creak. Removed the bottom bracket and I could see fretting where the removable ring mates with the other part of the assembly. Cleaned everything up and reinstalled with Locktite where the two parts touch. Creak is now gone. While you're at it, you can also carefully remove the seals and re-grease the bearings. Hopefully, I'm good for another 1500.

Who   Weekend Warrior [Jul 18, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap

Cheap

The one thing you can normally count on being bombproof is your bottom bracket. Not this one. After 10 months of moderate use (1500 miles), this bottom bracket bombed out on me. 2 an 1/2 miles of climbing with a major creak about drove me NUTS! Specialized, you should be ashamed for putting out crappy products such as this one. I hope you spec your future bikes with better products (at least a Shimano LX).

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX
mikw   Weekend Warrior [Mar 18, 2001]
Strength:

Strong shaft. I am a heavy rider and have had no problems the shaft is still straight, even though I have pole vaulted a few rocks on some single tracks.

Sealed bearings didn't last very long and they arn't servicable.

I use my bike for both off road and urban riding and have about 3200 mi on it. This is one of the components that I didn't think that I would have to replace this soon. I am sure that Specialized had other choices when it came to what BB they would put on their bicycles.

Penguin   Weekend Warrior [Dec 10, 2000]

Piece of Junk

I too was unlucky enough to have one of these on my 98 Specialized FSR Comp. In less than a month the bearings were shot! LBS had no problem swapping out to a UN-72, as they already knew there was a ongoing problem. Kudos to Precision Bike- I was back riding in less than a day!Un-72 has been on for two years-no problems.

Similar Products Used: UN-72
Dmitriy "Flip"   Downhiller [Nov 11, 2000]
Strength:

It worked for a while

It didn't work good long enough.

This was a great piece of SH!T people. After like 4 months or so, it was creaking, I figured needs some grease, nope...I just needed a new BB. Whoever said Specialized is crap is a complete IDIOT, they just put crap components on their otherwise AWSOME frames! It broke on me after I jumped an 11 set of stairs.

J B   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2000]
Strength:

It makes a great leg strengthening tool once it starts to "break in"

pure crap

Specialized is hurting its image by putting these on their otherwise fine bikes. I discovered mine was toast about 6 months after I bought my bike, while replacing the cheap Specialized crank that was fastened to it. It no doubt had been worn out for quite awhile, it was grinding badly when I turned it. I actually raced on it, the added friction from worn out races and bearings probably added minutes to my time.

If your bike comes with one of these get rid of it ASAP before you hurt yourself or breakdown in the middle of nowhere. This product should listed in the Hall of Shame and Specialized needs to quit producing them.

Similar Products Used: Shimano UN72
Ian Brown   Cross Country Rider [Sep 01, 2000]
Strength:

Heavy enough to do some damage if you threw it at the Specialized product selector

Heavy, seals don't seal.

It only took three months for this piece of garbage to go: it was a grinding, creaking, squealing mess.

When I took if off my bike, I peeled off the so-called "seals" to find rusty bearings reluctantly turning in a rusty race.

After dropping that kind of cash on a new bike, I'd expected the drivetrain to last at least through the first season, especially the BB. The Specialized frame is great, but they should leave component design to the grown-ups.

If I buy another Specialized bike, I'll make sure that any Big-S componenents stay in the showroom. If you're buying a Specialized bike, you should make sure that the Elite BB is swapped out, too.

Similar Products Used: Shimano BBs
Zach   Cross Country Rider [Aug 17, 2000]
Strength:

Came on the bike

Shouldn't have ever been on the bike

For the casual rider this might be sufficient. For a mountain biker who rides hard and rides long, this product is entirely insufficient. This creaks and carries on and it's been doing it since it was about three months old (believe me I feel fortunate to have made it this far). I plan on replacing everything with XT (crank set and BB). On a $1800 Stumpjumper Pro, Specialized could have at least spent the $20-$25 that it takes to put an XT BB on the bike.