Shimano UN54 Bottom Bracket

UN54

One piece cartridge construction allows fast and easy installation without adjustment. Sealed bearings keep dirt, mud and water out. Chainline stabilizer assures the crankarm mounts at the correct position on the spindle.

miguelgcone   [Feb 12, 2013]
Strength:

Durability, very strong and quiet, good for wet and muddy trails. once you install it you'll never hear a single creak, that's because it has a sealed cambridge

the plastic cup! when you install it make sure you don't overtorque it

it has to be one of the best bb, i installed it on my bike three years ago and it's still in good shape

malibu marlin   Cross Country Rider [Jul 19, 2012]
Strength:

smooth action, inexpensive, solid construction

none so far.

I bought my Diamondback Overdrive 29'er in Nov. 2009, and ride give or take about 100 miles a week. Some weeks more, some less. The stock BB gave out recently (although in retrospect, it probably gave out 6-8 months ago, I just never noticed, nor did I ever make the connection as to why I was having to pedal so hard uphill - I thought I was just getting old!! hahaha!) But when I noticed it, I thought my chain got crudded up with the moon dust on the train, so made a mental note to clean and lube when I got back home. It wasn't the chain. The BB was shot.

I changed it out with the Shimano UN54, went for a spin on a familiar trail that takes me typically 1:45 to complete. The trail starts with a 4 mile moderate uphill, then rewards with a 4 mile roller coaster downhill. Right away I noticed how smooth the pedaling was, and I was climbing in one to three gears above what I was set at with the old BB. My time to complete the circuit was 1:15!

Lesson learned. I won't wait 3 years to change out the BB ever again.

mtbnachos   Cross Country Rider [Sep 24, 2009]
Strength:

Price, durability

Weight, non-drive bb cup is plastic

Have beaten this bb to death and still works like I just bought it. This is THE quintessential budget bb for square taper cranks. Only White industries is better than the tough hombre. I am definitely buying more for the road.

rkj__   Racer [Aug 24, 2009]
Strength:

Durability

It's not light, but for the price, I don't expect it to be

Fantastic product. I waited until the end of this product's lifespan to write a review,... I waited 5 years. I just replaced my BBUN54 today because it developed a little bit of play. It remained quiet.

This bottom bracket was flawless for 5 years or riding. It has endured so much. I only own one mountain bike, so it gets quite a bit of use. This BB lasted through many 1.5h, 8h, 9h, and 24h races, rainy 100km rides, sub-freezing rides, 3' drops, trips to the skate park. It has seen many bike washes after many muddy events.

This product is an absolutely fantastic value. For that reason I just replaced it with another BBUN54.

5 chilis.