Shimano LP-21 Bottom Bracket

Shimano LP-21

faronium polonium   Cross Country Rider [Jul 14, 2003]
Strength:

Indestructo -- built like a brick

Heavy -- built like a brick

This bottom bracket came factory installed on my Trek 950 8 years ago and has lasted until a month ago when I decided it was time to replace the playful, gritty thing with something better. Lo and behold the years of neglect were to make me suffer and the bb was siezed in the frame. After a lot of work (torch, breaker bars, liquid wrench, etc) I got it out, and get this; the rubber seals were still in fine shape (after torching!!) and although caked with rust, it looked OK.

This bottom bracket gave me at least 7 years of worry free performance commuting year round with the occasional race mixed in with a bunch of trail riding. The last two years of commuting on salted roads in winter did the thing in along with a lot of other things on this bike. I'm now a habitual bearing checker/thread greaser.

I doubt anyone would buy this part as an aftermarket "upgrade", so am writing this as testament to shimano's quality.

Similar Products Used: factory installed BBs on 70s road bikes -- still 'live and kicking
rusty   [Jun 06, 2003]
Strength:

absolutely none

creaks from pretty much day one, very noisy!

like i said it creaks and makes a lot of noise, the bearings felt very rough after about 3 months of riding on it, then today i jump a two foot street stepdown and snapped the spindle clean off, the nub left over lacerated the insde of my left leg and put my bike out of commission

anybody looking for a bike that is inexpensive to play around on steer clear of any with shimano bb's, they are crap

andy   Weekend Warrior [Nov 12, 2002]
Strength:

Adds extra friction to make you a stronger rider. You will feel turbo-charged after replacing this with a better BB. If this is on your wife's bike, you will become a hero after replacing this.

Another reviewer said that rocks were probably used in place of ball bearing and someone else said that shimano forgot to lube it. This had a stiff gritty feel from day 1. Most un-campy like ball-bearings ever. Replaced this with a UN series.

Replace ASAP

Similar Products Used: Syncros, Campy, UN, others
Erlend   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2001]
Strength:

After 8 trips it went super non-smooth. This is the worst s h i t I've ever seen

who would ever buy this s h i t ?, I don't event know if it's possible to get hold off except for on stock bikes!! It s u x the big wang.

Similar Products Used: XT (super good)
Rocky   Weekend Warrior [Jul 08, 2001]
Strength:

well..cheap, but thats not a strength

This is absolute crap

I broke it after landing a little jump off a set of steps and it broked right out, my left crank arm flied around and the part that was still on the bike lacerated my inner left leg..outch! (yeah, I had to go to the hospital) Don't ever buy this crap, for myself I'll buy a raceface all the way

Gary   Weekend Warrior [Jun 25, 2001]
Strength:

Rotates, more or less. Less maintenance than an old cup & retainer ring setup. Keeps papers from flying off your desk.

Where to start...

This thing (LP-26) came stock in my bike - I rode it for about 6 months in pretty crappy conditions, during which I freely admit that it rotated as I pedalled. Now that I ripped it out of there to replace it with a UN 72, I have discovered that it is: heavy, cheap, rough, big and ugly. Hey, it's your mother-in-law!

Seriously, this thing feels like it has rocks for bearings. Except that rocks would be lighter, thereby resulting in at least some improvement.

If your bike came with one, ride it until it dies (soon) -- but under NO circumstances replace an existing BB with one of these.

Yeah, it sucks with gusto - but I don't blame Shimano. The real criminals are the bike companies that spec this piece of dung on bikes marketed for serious trail use. Shame!

Chuck Perlin   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 1999]
Strength:

Cheap, noise and ruff in less then 2 months.

Creeeeeked from almost day 1, I was blaming all sorts of other things on the bike, seat post, frame, cranks, etc. Turns out the bearing was making all the noise (intermittently). Just had to spend extra cash to 'upgrade' the BB to a UN72, the LP-27 would probably have been under warranty.

Similar Products Used: UN-72 XT BB, older LX level BB's.
brando brando   Weekend Warrior [Jan 12, 2001]
Strength:

It is solid. It works. No squeaks after 2 years. Still tight. I have not performed any maintenence.

I guess it is heavy although I have not compared it to another because I haven't needed to remove it from the frame.

When I switched my dodgy suntour cranks to Shimano XT I was concerned because the bike shops were trying to get me to buy the new splined products. As I see it my bottom bracket was working fine and I didn't need to replace it, nor did I wish to spend the $50.00 to buy a splined BB. I had do search a little, but eventually got the XT square peg cranks for $120.00 and I got to keep my original BB that is going just fine after 2 years of daily riding and weekend beatings.

Similar Products Used: 1 piece bearing cranks and whatever they put on SIS and DX equipped bikes.
Chris Brown   Weekend Warrior [Jun 15, 2000]
Strength:

Still rotates after 6 months.

Makes noise like an ice grinder! Very heavy.

No value if it doesn't last. There is nothing more annoying than parts that pack up early. A head turner for all the wrong reasons!

Similar Products Used: Too old to mention.
Robert   Cross Country Rider [May 03, 2000]
Strength:

This BB is built tough

It is heavy and does not like dry, grity climate.

This is a good BB. I am not sure exactly when it happened but the thing is grity and makes a lot of noise. It has lasted for a while but could have probably been replaced 6 months ago. Don't rush out and change it. Replace in a year with a Un model.