Race Face Taper lock Titanium Bottom Bracket

Taper lock Titanium

C Dub   [Apr 27, 2003]
Strength:

wieght

there is nothing like being at the bigest reace of the season and have your bottom braket explode, litteraly. even better when you are a mechanic for 5 years and everyone knows you never have mechanicals on the trail. When I say explode i mean explode, so much in fact the bearings wore developed play, broke, than the axel of the bb started to wear away on the bb cups, why did i not stop, well there was nothing I cound do to fix it so I finished the race, i ahd to run up every hill.

I have been running shimano ever since and I am always happy. I can't wait for kings bb to come out. As for race face headset (SL) it worked just as well. I think I am the only person that owns a Rocky Mountian with no piece on it Race Face. I make a point of doing so.

Mike   Weekend Warrior [May 30, 2005]
Strength:

light

flexy, poor seal, developed clunk

I am 150lbs and this bottom bracket flexes like crazy. I am on a single speed so there is a little extra stress there but at my weight that is unacceptable. also, the seals suck donkey balls.

I am going to slap a cheaper and better un72 in there tomorrow.

Similar Products Used: un72, race face deus, bonty isis, octalink
Vinny   Weekend Warrior [Apr 16, 2002]
Strength:

Super light super strong and very very smooth.

180 lb limit

This b/b is wicked sweet. ive had my friends bet me that their splined b/b is lighter and we tookem out and weighed them and i beat them all. the only thing is they wouldnt use titanium b/c your not supposed to jump with them. i dont really pay attention to them, i do huge drops and huge jumps and theres no cracks, and no strress marks but im only 130 so i dont come close tho the limit. the bearings are very smooth and are easily repleaceable so im a very happy person. i dont think the trials rider would want this just maybe the xc weight freak whos not too heavy.

Similar Products Used: almost every b/b available
Sam Wallace   Racer [May 23, 2002]
Strength:

Light, strong, adjustable

Great product, I have no need to switch to isis until this gives out. I have to tighten periodically and grease it and clean it after riding in mud but that's it! It has performed beautifully and this is a great combo with next lp cranks.

Similar Products Used: XT
n peter   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2002]
Strength:

one of the less flexy Ti BB's. Has worked flawlessly for well over 3 yrs. of year-round riding. lighter overall than ISIS spline systems.

need to use TI antiseize on tapers for best results.

Over 3 yrs ago i got these since they were state of the art then; since then, ISIS (and Shimano) spline drives have kinda taken over but i've concluded that for XC / light freeriding, these are still the best way to go. I did have to replace the RF bearings (after about 2 yrs) with some Enduro bearings (supposedly, the best there is) and it's all goood. I use Ti AntiSeize on the tapers; unlike grease, this doesn't wash off. I get no creaks, no problems at all. I weigh 190 lbs. and tend to crank pretty hard on hills but don't do big drops. Some mfgs. went 'stupid light' w/ their Ti BB's, but RF kept the axle a little beefier & i'm glad they did.

Similar Products Used: white, shimano XT
Soggy Biscuit   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2002]
Strength:

Light, easy to install (uses standard Shimano tool) Bearings are standard 6003 cartridge bearings and easy to remove and replace. The extra seal in front of the cartridge does a very good job of keeping crud out of the sealed bearing.

I had to replace the bearings in my hardtail (drive side bearing developed too much play) after about 1 1/2 year (riding about 100 km or more per week.) I ride in lots of mud and rain. I only weigh 150 lb so I think that it is just a weak bearing design. After bearing replacement, no problems (but I did switch this bike to be a road/commuter bike.) I got a fs bike with same ti taperlock BB and got a bearing creak after less than a year. The aluminum cup threads galled in the frame shell and I had to get the threads chased. I think that I'll try another BB design for the replacement.

Good product but not ideal. It is a compromise in weight and strength that would be ok for someone who did not ride hard lots in wet and mud.