Race Face Taper Lock Chromoly Bottom Bracket

Taper Lock Chromoly

brennan   Racer [Jun 02, 2003]
Strength:

light weight?

horrid bearings, easily stripped and weak cups

i swapped out my stock xt bb for a "better" race face taperloc. after about a year of once-weekly rides (primarily a road racer), noticed a gravelly feeling coming from bb. drive side cup was cracked clear through and non-drive-side bearing was completely seized. I HAD BEEN GRINDING METAL FOR WHO KNOWS HOW LONG! one of the cups stripped so badly upon removal i had to cut it from the frame! Ironically, i put the xt back in and it has been like butter for over 2 years.

Similar Products Used: shimano
Tom   Cross Country Rider [May 30, 2003]
Strength:

Adjustable chainline is nice
Nickel-plated cromoly spindle
Rebuildable

Aluminum cups are easily chewed up by Park BB tool-female portion is not deep enough to accept tool.
Ultra-crappy stock bearings, DS went out in less than 1000 miles.

I probably would not have bought this BB, but since it was on the bike when I bought it, I used it. The drive side bearing went out very soon after I bought the bike. I do not like using the Park BB tool on aluminum cups that are not Shimano, it just doesn't match as well. I rebuilt it with better bearings and am using it again, but I wouldn't buy another one when an XT is cheaper and just as dependable.

Similar Products Used: Real BB
Most of the Shimano stuff-LX and lower
Michael Murphy   Cross Country Rider [Mar 06, 2006]
Strength:

Reasonably light, adjustable chainline, quiet.

Everyone but me seems to hate it?

Installed around '98 or so. I've taken it out once, but just to clean out the shell and put in fresh grease to get rid of a little squeak.

I'm a finesse- rider, 5'6" and 155 lbs, so that might be why. The trick is to install right the first time. I chased and faced the bb shell, then applied some grease and installed this thing very tight. I also applied a little grease to the spindles and tightened the heck out of the cranks. I checked the crank bolts the first few rides to make sure they didn't loosen up. Since then, no problems, and it's been YEARS.

I'd buy another.

Similar Products Used: UN72
Jo Dirt   Cross Country Rider [Jan 17, 2006]
Strength:

Strong (relative weight), tough as anything I've used, adjustable chain-line

at 225g, not as light as some would like

Im not sure what the problem is with this BB? Ive ridden it through hell all across Western Canada for two years now, serviced it once (the internals were pristine after 12+ months), and it still spins absolutely smooth. The recurring issue of soft cups/bad threads seems ot me to be more an issue of user overtightning than a product fault. Yes, they are made from aluminium, and yes aluminium is relatively soft, but using the proper tool and tightning to the specified torque, they should be quite fine.

In all respects -durability, bearing quality, serviceability, seal quality- this BB passes with flying colours. Not only is it reasonably priced, but it is among the strongest spindles available at a weight that is certainly respectable. Superb value for money, in my mind.

Similar Products Used: everything shimano has made, old school Syncros gorilla series Ti
Rob Fraser   Cross Country Rider [Oct 13, 2002]
Strength:

It is solid.

Had to tighten the crankbolts alot when they are new.

Chromoly will last along time as long as you aren't a stupid hack. They are a sweet addition to my bicycle. I am thinking of keeping mine as a back-up to a Ti taper BB since (Blue TI) they were out fast.

First of all, don't spray water at your crank sideways and the grease will stay in for a little while. Second, don't DH or FR on the thing. Even though they last 20 times longer than LX they are for that.

Similar Products Used: None are quite the same.
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jul 18, 2002]
Strength:

Easy to Install
Not too Heavy

Bearings Suck
Noisy
Cups are easily damaged

I bought into the Race Face Hype. This bottom bracket was good for about 4 rides, then the bearings decided to break apart and eat themselves. My last bottom bracket lasted 3 years, no problem, stick with shimano.

Similar Products Used: Shimano BB's
Mikie OOOOOO......   Cross Country Rider [Sep 10, 2005]
Strength:

serviceable

Weak cups. Poor threads. After 3 years riding I had to get a new one.

Very unhappy . I also had to remove there headset due to poor bearings. If you want to keep costs down go Shimano. Want to spend a little try Phil Wood. Product looks good till you put it to the test. Im going back to XT put it in and forget about it.

Similar Products Used: XT, Cook Bros..
Bart   Cross Country Rider [Jan 24, 2005]
Strength:

- Adjustable chainline
- Bearings
- Seals

- Very weak cups and easily damaged threads

First of all, bottom brackets just aren't made to last so keeping that in mind, the important part is how long you are able to use it before it dies. Frankly, nobody knows even with so called high quality bottom brackets. I had UN52's and UN72's that lasted for 3 months, others lasted over 4 years! I bought the taperlock because I hoped to find a reliable and long lasting bottom bracket. At that time I did not switch the old taper style for the ISIS or Octalink types because I was suspicious about the bearing quality due to the wider axle.
I had no problems with the bearings whatsoever, after three years of riding they still run very smooth, there's no play and they are still filled with the factory grease. So far so good. But this BB is overpriced! The cups are made of cheese and are easily damaged using traditional BB tools. Cup threads are poor and easily stripped. During my last routine maintenance I discovered a serious crack in the re-inforcing sleeve at the drive side bearing (I am a lightweight cross crountry rider)?? It doesn't seem to affect the mechanism though but it was reason enough to swap the taperlock again for the good old UN72.
In conclusion, this would be an outstanding product if Race Face paid more attention to the details instead of shaving of a few grams. Shame because it really works well. But who cares any longer, square tapers are becoming extinct anyway. For what it's worth and for all you afficionados try to find some spare Shimano BB's, for old times sake!