Race Face Signature XS Bottom Bracket

A refined version of last year’s XS ISIS BB, the Signature XS is the perfect high performance, multi use bottom bracket. It is light enough for cross-country use but strong enough to take the hits you’re willing to throw its way.

Features:

• ISIS Drive
  • CNC machined, heat treated, hollow, bored out M15 chromoly spindle
  • Shot peened finish for strength and nickel plating for corrosion resistance
  • Double row angular contact bearings
  • Proprietary non side loading design
  • Forged and CNC’d aluminum cups and reinforcing sleeve
  • Heat treated stainless steel crank stoppers
  • 8 independent seals to keep out contaminants
  • Adjustable cups fit 68 and 73mm shells and allows adjustability of the chain line

Sizes: 108mm 113mm
    Shell compatibility: 68 & 73 mm (adjustable)

• User Reviews (37)

StuBaDub   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2009]
    Strength:

It held the cranks on my bike successfully, crank bolts didn't loosen off. It fitted in the hole provided for it. Didn't develop any play.

Seal drag, rough feeling from bearings

Looks like raceface are trying to improve their bearing seals, by filling thier bottom brackets with rubber. The seal drag on my unit was enormous when it was new, to be joined by a notchy feeling after about 3 months of riding. To my surprise it began spinning more freely after about 3 years of use. If you have to buy one see if you can find a second hand one somebody else has broken in for you, otherwise don't bother.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Un-72
    Jeff   [Jul 10, 2003]
    Strength:

Strong
    Great Warantee
    Great spline quality and finish

Fairly Expensive
    Loosens over time
    Bearings aren't great
    Won't fit certain frames without mods (it physically won't fit into the shell)

An otherwise decent bb that refuses to stay tight, the threads seem to be of poor quality and refuse to hold no matter how much you torque down the cups. I've had similar problems on my RF taperlock, but never on any other bb. I gave up and just locktighted it into my frame. Also on so frame it won't fit through the bb because of clearance issues. For example Norco VPSs have a reinforcing ring inside the bb shell that must be filed slightly in order for this bb to fit. There are better BBs out there, especially for the price.

Similar Products Used: XT and XTR (both great), Truvativ and RF taperlock (not so great)
    Duane   Racer [Jun 18, 2003]
    Strength:

Pretty, looks heavy duty, raceface name

doesn't fit, too big to install

This seems like a great bottom bracket if it fits into your ride. There is a super tiny lip in the middle of my bottom bracket shell that won't let this thing slide in properly. It's odd that I have had this problem with NO other bottom bracket that I have tried. The thing is just TOO big. This lip is something you almost have to feel to realize that it is there. Hello Raceface, maybe you should rethink your tolerances on this one. Plus or minus 5% could make all the difference. Picked up a Bontrager Race Lite at the lbs for $35. At this price I can replace two of these and still save money on the non-fitting raceface.

Buy at your own risk.

3 chilis for value - this thing isnt' cheap
    1 chili for crappy fit issue

Similar Products Used: shimano, bontrager, truvativ
    Jason Martin   Cross Country Rider [May 26, 2003]
    Strength:

Light weight (um..well..that may be it's weakness too!)

Poor bearing durability, TERRIBLE CUP DESIGN!!

In RaceFace's quest to make light weight products, they obviously forgot about durability when they made this bottom bracket.

I first installed RaceFace bottom bracket on my old Mountain Cycle, it only took about 2 months before it started to fall apart. I ride most in dry weather, so this is completely unacceptable! I pulled the cranks off & the outer seals on the bearing fell off! How about that for quality. I put a new one in, & sure enough a few months later, the spindle had some play in it as well as a little bit of grinding!

The other problem is the cups. How about giving us some threads for once? You might as well of wrapped some aluminum foil around the ends of the bottom bracket. Shimano bottom brackets thread very easily every time I use them. When I recently built my FXR up, I chased the threads before I installed the RaceFace. Then I partially threaded in the non-drive side, which went in like butter. Then I started the drive side, & noticed that it was starting to bind up by the second turn. I immediately stopped, & inspected the spindle to make sure it was still centered in the bottom bracket shell, it was. I decided to remove the whole assembly & take it down to my shop.

I pulled the drive side out with no problem (the side that was binding), and the threads on the frame were fine. Then I started to pull the non-drive side, and noticed that it was turning but the cup was not coming out. All the threads came off the cup as soon as I turned it. I ended it pulling it out with two needle-nose pliers. Of course, the cup was shot, & the threads on my frame were all buggered up! I took it down to the shop, chased the threads, and installed a Shimano unit right away, with no problems.

Unfortunately, there are only about 10 microns left on the non-drive side threads. So, I may have to heli-coil the frame (a $2000 frame!) at a later date, all thanks to this bottom bracket.

Now, some of you may say that I am an idiot because I cross threaded the cups. I work in a manufacturing plant, I know how to install anything that has threads. I started both sides by hand. The non-drive side went in almost 2 turns before I used the socket. The problem is that the cups are too thin, they warp way too easily. If there was some more meat to these cups, this probably wouldn't happen. I plan to take a thread guage tomorrow and measure the threads on this bottom bracket too.

Bottom line: RaceFace lost another customer. My friends that work at shops have many of the same problems with these bottom brackets. For the sake of your frame, DO NOT BUY THIS BOTTOM BRACKET! IF you DO manage to get the bottom bracket in, you will only have to REMOVE it again in a few months when the bearings are shot. I learned the hard way...I am back with Shimano. If I could give this product ZERO chillies, I would. It is a piece of junk. Bert & Ernie could engineer a better bottom bracket.

Similar Products Used: Shimano taperlock
    Richard Ecclestone   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2002]
    Strength:

Nice colour

Bearings completly worn out after 5 months light use, incredibly difficult to remove old bearings

After problems with a Prodigy bottom bracket I fitted the more expensive XS only to find that its just as bad. Obviously Raceface bottom brackets are not upto UK weather & mud conditions. To replace the bearings you need special ring pullers, which I produced in a machine shop. After disassembly I found that the bearings were completly shot and coroded. Once I have the money I will be purchasing a shimano crankset & bottom bracket.

Similar Products Used: Shimano XT, Raceface prodigy
    Richard Brassington   Weekend Warrior [May 18, 2003]
    Strength:

Easy to fit, lightish

Bearing play after 6months, complete failure after 12 months

I've given up on ISIS (and Race Face), after FSA B/B lasting 3months then a $100 race face developing play after 6months. Going back to shimano even if I have to replace every 6months it will still work out cheaper. Race Face market themselves as hardcore but some of there products (anything with bearings in !) just don't make the grade

Similar Products Used: FSA, Shimano
    Bob Engelhorn   Weekend Warrior [Oct 07, 2002]
    Strength:

decent weight, great looks

bearing quality

Like others, the bb started out really strong, but the bearings have gone south on me after a year. Granted, I live in the Pacific Northwest, but RaceFace is from Vancouver, BC and they talk about the quality and durability of their product, but the reality is somewhat different. I've owned the RaceFace taperlock as well and had the same experience. The bearings are smooth and silent for awhile, but they always go bad. For the price I expect more. I'm going to try the FSA this time around and see what happens.

Tracer   [Jan 28, 2004]
    Strength:

stiff
    adjustable chain line

bearings
    cups

I had these in my Tracer and they worked well, that's till the bearings locked up. I heard they had redesigned them and decided to give them a try.

First the drive side cup would not go in. Went to the shop they did not dare go on either. So two days later I got a new cup, went in like butter.

After a month the drive side started to develop play. Tightened the cup over and over again but kept on developing play, worse it started to ruin the bb shell. I think the bb shell of the Uzzi is a bit roomy, this does not hold the flange less cups well.

I've changed to an FSA with flange on the drive side and it's holding up for months now. Also much and much cheaper.

Similar Products Used: rf taper lock, fsa, shimano
    LP Morat   Cross Country Rider [Dec 16, 2003]
    Strength:

ISIS - Stiff, Smooth, Strong Ass spindle/crank interface. Bearings seem great to me, and I've been mud-bogging in clay so deep i thought i might have to leave the bike or die - no joke. Yet I power on week in, week out.
    So Far So Good...

None To Note

- new BB? Better Install?? Better Frame (Ti)??? Probably D, all of the above. It's working great, and I'm a big dude who likes to climb and bomb - old school, like johnny T!