Phil Wood Outboard BB Bearings Bottom Bracket

Outboard BB Bearings

Upgrade your outboard-bearing bottom bracket with silky-smooth Phil Wood sealed cartridge bearings!

Rat S Rectum   Cross Country Rider [Mar 15, 2012]
Strength:

Mounted the Phil Wood external bottom bracket 3.5 years ago, spinning a Surly Mr. Whirly and have adjusted the play in the crank arms once. Have submerged the bottom bracket many, many times but have had no problems with the bearings. This is a very well designed and built external bearing bottom bracket and very, very, reliable

All the beautiful machine work is hidden within the bracket shell

The only failures I have had in 6 years of unassisted multi day back country riding have been hydo brakes and external bottom bracket bearings. When I built this new bike my LBS had me call Phil Wood. He has a lot of customers who have put on a lot miles and never had a problem with this bottom bracket

So bottom line, quality rules, quality means cash, but then again......quality means reliablity

Now I have never raced on this bike and the highest drop I have ever made on this bike is 4'3" and stuck the landing. I have cracked a crank arm in a rock strike and yet the bearings in the Phil Wood are still good after 3.5 years of dirt and water.

Similar Products Used: If you are reading this then you know why I went Phil Wood.......because the other 4 brands I tried on my old bike sucked and each failed in the back country. We know why the cheap systems make it easy to change bearings now don't we!
Velocio   Cross Country Rider [Dec 03, 2011]
Strength:

wow, beautiful finish, super smooth bearings, installed and forget them

very minor, my 2006 trek 520 has mountain rear and road front shell. No spacers right drive side, two spacers left (5mm). wish there was more threads left cup for spacer adjustment

wow, great product, really a work of art.... i'd feel more secure if I had more left cup thread engagement with the 5mm spacers... no problems, but 120 miles from nowhere.....

Similar Products Used: shimano deore mountain obb
ItsWin   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2010]
Strength:

The best bearings of any BB I've used so far
Stainless steel cups are beautiful and bomb-proof

Raised ridge behind splines causes some minor compatibility issues with certain products (see below for details)
Does not come with standard 2.5mm spacers

Phil Wood has a well-deserved reputation for making the very best sealed bearings and the "Outboard Bearing Bottom Bracket" (OBB hereafter) is no exception - its bearings are NOTICEABLY better than Shimano or pre-2008 Race Face. Though not a weight weenie's dream come true, the polished stainless steel cups are absolutely gorgeous and will outlast any frame they're installed in. Even the sleeve is polished aluminum instead of cheap plastic. In terms of quality, precision, and workmanship, the OBB is head and shoulders above the rest.

I just had 2 very minor gripes:
First, the cups have a raised ridge behind the splines that interfered with the granny ring on my Race Face Atlas FR cranks, forcing me to trim down the inner part of the ring a bit with my Dremel tool (the # 932 grinding stone works great for this purpose). That same raised ridge also made it incompatible with the original K-Edge DIRT-3 chain catcher, though it should be mentioned that AceCo Sport Group is coming out with a new adjustable model in a month or so that won't have the "hood" around the BB cup, so this will soon be a moot issue. Second, the OBB doesn't come with a standard set of three 2.5mm spacers and you can't get them separately from Phil Wood (for some inexplicable reason they only have 3.175mm and 6.350mm). Fortunately, Wheels Manufacturing makes them (their part # is: BB-2.5) so no problem there either.

The OBB is one of those components you can install and forget about. It was super smooth out of the box and after a year of hard riding, is still running flawlessly. This is the best BB I've ever used (I haven't tried King or Hope, which I'm sure are also excellent).

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Race Face
Kazman   Cross Country Rider [Apr 25, 2009]
Strength:

really good bearings, seemed worth the money, lasted longer than any other BB so far.

as with all BBs, wish they lasted longer

i burn through a lot of BBs climbing with the singlespeed in the Oregon slop. i took a buddy's advice and stuck a set of these bearings into a set of raceface cups. i got about 2 years out of them, better than the standard 6-8 months that it seems to take to wear out a BB. i'd recommmend this as an option for riders that are hard on bikes. thinking about another set of these or King-bling for the replacment.

Similar Products Used: Raceface, XT, LX, FSA, Truvativ, etc.