Nashbar Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

Nashbar Bottom Bracket

Lee   [Dec 20, 2006]
Strength:

cheap, lasts a while

axle pits after a while,
ticks under load

worked fine for 5 months, a few thousand miles, until I took off the cranks (cheap nashbars too). When remounted, the axle and crank pitting didn't line up again, so the cranks didn't run straight.

What else could you expect from an $8 bottom bracket? Not a fan of regularly overhauling bottom brackets, so back to Shimano's UN-5x series

Mark   Weekend Warrior [Sep 22, 2000]
Strength:

None.

Extremely poor bearing quality.

This bottom bracket lasted two hours in a road bike before the spindle began to wiggle inside the bearings. I am not a heavy rider either, nor do I abuse my equipment. The unit was installed with care, and absent any manufacturer torque specs, was torqued to approximately 50 lbs-ft per side. Nashbar is refunding the purchase price plus postage, which speaks highly of their service, but I cannot understand why they would want to put their label on an item of such sub-standard quality. Even at 7 bucks, this BB was no value, and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Campagnolo
Gus   Weekend Warrior [Jul 05, 1999]
Strength:

Only $10.00

Only lasted two rides.

From what seemed like favorable reviews, I bought one when it was time to replace my 93' LX bottom bracket with over 4000 miles. Started grinding after my second commute to work ( 30 miles round trip.). Maybe I got a lemmon. YMMV

Mike Giafagleone   weekend warrior [Dec 07, 1998]

Good, cheap bottom bracket for first couple of rides. After a few creek crossings and muddy rides, it starting making a grinding sound. Became hard to crank so I cleaned it out and repacked the sealed bearings but this did not help. After two months, I had to throw it out when the shaft started slipping.

Phil...   cross-country rider [Jul 03, 1998]

I purchased this bottom bracket in the 68 x 115 size, but it was too long, so I sold it to a friend on whose bike it fit. The quality seemed better than Shimano UN52, which I ended up with. The mounting cup for the left (non-drive) side is actually metal with a built in rubber seal, rather than the cheapo plastic (with no extra seal) provided by shimano (Bless the Big S). Since my friend is using it, I won't have any idea as to the durability of the product until I he has ridden it a few months. Anyway, that may be moot by then, since this part is currently on clearence from Nashbar.
I give it a 5 for its quality appearence and price, and a 3 for the unknown factors such as durability.

Jim Cim   cross-country rider [Jun 18, 1998]

I installed this BB about 6 months ago and it has performed very well. It's very smooth and I haven't had any problems with it, even after approx 300 miles of hard riding, which is better than I expected after paying only $10. So far it has performed better than the Shimano LP26, which is what I had on there before.

Chris C   weekend warrior [Feb 11, 1998]

I think its a Best value for the money around. Much smoother spin than low end Shimano and better fitting seals. Installs easily with standard Shimano tools. Not for weight weenies..but its all relative. I've had mine in for only about 300 miles and still spins free and smooth. Recommend for the non-status conscious.

Bob C.   weekend warrior [Jan 22, 1998]

On sale for about $11 bucks. Good replacement for a old beater
bike that still uses the three piece bottom bracket setup. Its
heavier than teh UN52 in hand because of all steel construction. but
it has nice seals. Smooth spin. For the money, its worth it for a
beater bike that's Tourney equipped.
Comes with two bolts. Says made by VP in Taiwan. Same people that
made the Nashbar Modus headset.

Ethan Cohen   [Apr 09, 2001]
Strength:

Cheap

Doesn't last more than 6months

Junky stuff, but what did you pay for it? It only lasts about 6 months in moderately abusive use. Typically dies a
creaky death.

Similar Products Used: UN-72,UN-71
el ray   [Dec 09, 2006]

I have these on all my bikes. They've lasted for years. Bearings are smooth with no play whatsoever, even after years in muddy, harsh, and abusive conditions. Square taper is the most reliable, affordable and oftentimes the lightest way to go. These bottom brackets are fantastic. I can't imagine why some riders are going through them, but I know that sometime during the past few years, the manufacturer of the product changed. Obviously, Nashbar does not manufacture many of the products it labels, and I know the newer bottom brackets are made by RPM, which seems to make quality stuff as far as I know. All I can say is that this product has worked for me - I can't vouch for anyone else.