FSA Ultimax Xtreme ISIS Drive Bottom Bracket

Ultimax Xtreme ISIS Drive

ISIS stands for International Spline Interface Standard. This new crankarm interface has been developed by a group of designers and manufacturers including TH Industries. TH is currently the only manufacturer with the abiliity and knowledge to produce a forged ISIS Drive spindle. By using a forged spindle we are able to offer a stronger, lighter weight and more reliable product. All ISIS Drive mountain cranksets are designed to work with the 113mm spindle.

• Ultimax Xtreme Pro Ti BB - 158 grams
  • Ultimax Xtreme Pro BB - 225 grams
  • Ultimax Xtreme BB - 253 grams

• User Reviews (26)

Tim   [Jun 11, 2003]
    Strength:

Lasted a year?

Bearing developed play after 6 months. The spindle shattered after 1 year.

Seemed ok for first couple months. Then major slop in the bearings after about 6 months. The BB just shattered and is in for warantee. I wouldn't reccommend it for any free-riding. Go for the Platinum or go Race Face.

Similar Products Used: Race Face BBs
    Sean   Weekend Warrior [Jun 12, 2003]
    Strength:

Pretty. Smooth movement. Looks well engineered.

Only lasted 3 months.

This BB has only 100 miles on it. It's hard to believe that it has developed play already. The XT's never did this. It's covered under warranty, but I'll be getting something different—maybe the RaceFace Signature FR.

Similar Products Used: XT square taper.
    John   Cross Country Rider [May 28, 2003]
    Strength:

Stiff! Easy to install and very, very strong

None so far

Recumbents are very hard on bottom brackets and cranks due to the force that can be put on them when the rider braces himself in the seat. I have tore chains in half (Shimano ones) due to the pressure. Switched over to a TruVantiv Elita 45/42/26 crankset and went with the FSA Ultimax. That BB is stiff, strong and can handle long hills and off-roading with no problems. Easy to install, easy to maintain and very high quality. $45 at the LBS and I am very pleased with it's performance, price, quality and weight.

Similar Products Used: Shimano taper, Stronglite taper and others
    Alan Chan   Cross Country Rider [Jun 07, 2007]
    Strength:

The BB bearing comes loose after one week of riding. Currently in the process of claiming warranty.

The bottom line is...this BB is crap. I only do XC and max jumping is not over two feet. Bearing comes loose as I can feel the gap with my crank arm on with one hand! This usually happens to old bottom bracket that has been used for a long time (2 years approx) but this is happening to mine that was used for less then one week! I never tried FSA product before so I decided to give it a try. I will never go back it. Going back to Race Face...

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX, XT, XTR, RaceFace Prodigy, RaceFace Evolve XC
    James   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2001]
    Strength:

Decent weight
    No Flex
    No Lockrings

Wanted to go ISIS for the commuter bike. Didn't like the design of Truvativ BB's and Race Face just cost waaayy to much!

Got this one and had it installed same time bike was being rustproofed. No complaints to register. Shop installed cranks on 'em and they've stayed on stiff and tight.

I do see a bit of spline on the BB spindle, but it does not affect chainline. These things make the bike feel stiffer than the Race Face Crank/BB on the other other bike with square taper. No problems with fit, loosening, squeaking. I've almost forgotten about 'em and that the best compliment.

Similar Products Used: Square Taper BB's
    Matt   Weekend Warrior [Apr 08, 2004]
    Strength:

Good bottom bracket, sturdy design. Never creaked or groaned from urban assaulting or dirt jumping.

One of the crank bolts backed out and I lost it. FSA has to be different of course, and has a special sized bolt that you can only get from them for $15.

I prefer the truvativ, due to the availibility.

Similar Products Used: truvativ gigapipe DH
    Biff   Cross Country Rider [Jan 26, 2004]
    Strength:

Very light as claimed

I have gone through 2 of these in less than a year. I sent the first one back for replacement after 200 miles and almost 5mm play side to side at the tips of the crank arms. FSA treated me good and had as new one right out to me with in 5-7 days. I am a 165 lb xc rider who does not go big. The BB has never bee submerged and again after 300-350 road miles here we go again. It's not the Ti it's the shi__y little bearings FSA is using. I am considering going back to steel. It's 1/3 the cost and only a few ounces heavier.

This product has such a short lifespan I find it hard to belive that FSA has not addressed the problem. If I were selling a $90 plus BB I would make sure than in addition to being light it actually performed. Ti-whatever! This is a novelty Item.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
    Owen   Downhiller [Apr 22, 2003]
    Strength:

nice looking, smooth bearings when new, good quality axle

Mine didn't actually fit a standard BB shell. Yes I measured it, yes it was the right width etc, no my threads aren't deformed. It was just wrong. And also it doesn't seem to fit standard ISIS crank bolts, including those supplied by FSA with their V drive cranks. Anyway, I rode with it fitting badly, so it wobbled. It couldn't be tightened cos it didn't fit, so I was stuck. And now the bearings are completely shot.

It might be good if you get a fitting one. I got it mail order so I might try buying it in person next time. Actually thats a lie, I'll buy a RaceFace one instead.

Similar Products Used: Truvativ on mates bike, UN52, Onza square taper, XTR on mates bike.
    Kyle   Downhiller [Jun 27, 2006]
    Strength:

It's stiff, unlike shimano which they apparently think that BB's are made of jello, and that nobody over the weight of 180 pounds rides a bike. I've twisted every single octalink BB mady be shimano, as well as others. this one held up easily

none, this one actually works, and more people who are have play develope in the spinle, KEEP UR BOTTOM BRACKETS TIGHT.
    play is developed when the bearings can move lateraly, and when they do that they wear unevenly, unevenly worn bearing=spindle play.

buy this, if your have the balls to put it in ur bike properly(tightly, with cheater bars otherwise don't complain). the only reasone I could see not to buy one of these is if you don't own a bike, even then It'd be cool to own a fine piece of machanical engineering. (THIS IS THE ONLY BB THAT HAS COME OUT OF MY BIKE THAT YOUR COULD TURN THE SPINDLE BY HAND)