Cook Brothers Racing Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

Brothers Racing Bottom Bracket

Bottom Bracket

Wild Bill   racer [Sep 24, 1998]

Like all of their products, the bottom bracket TOTALLY sucks! It is hard to set up, adjust and maintain. You almost have to use it with their horrible crank. This makes things worse for the sub-standard crank...taking the crank off and on wears out the spindle holes even quicker! I tried to take it out to replace it with a XTR and split the cup! Like I said in the crank review, I feel disgraced having Cook Brother Racing on my PRO jersey. Cook Bros. really needs to do something about the after market crap they sell.

OVERALL
Rico   Cross Country Rider [Nov 05, 2000]
Strength:

None really

Impossible to keep adjusted. Spindle slides side to side. Bearings don't grip tightly on spindle so consequently sometimes the spindle slides instead of the bearings and it grinds a groove in the nice Ti spindle. The seals seemed to allow more dirt in then they kept out.

I don't know if Cooks still makes this product but if they do I would never recommend purchasing it. The BB lasted about 6 months, at the end of which the sealed bearings were pitted and full of mud, the Ti spindle had grooves ground into it where it contacted the bearings and was loose and wobble and the whole thing creaked like a thunderstorm. At least they replaced it for free once. But the second time they said "Tough luck." What I can't understand is why I kept using the thing. Well, it is gone now, replaced with a trusty old steel Sugino ball-bearing BB. It may be heavy, but it lasts. I've never had anything but poor luck with Cook Bros. Products.

Similar Products Used: Klein BB (great, seemed to keep out the dirt a long time), Phil Wood (just starting to use this, we'll see how it holds up)
OVERALL