American Classic CroMo Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

American Classic CroMo Bottom Bracket Bottom Bracket

• Axle Lengths: 103, 107, 113, 121mm
  • 134 grams (103mm), 140 grams (107mm), 144 grams (113mm), 150 grams (121mm)
  • Grease Injection

• USER REVIEWS

[Mar 14, 2004]
    Kevin

Strength:

Light and inexpensive

Poor reliability

This is the ISIS version. I bought this with an urge to save weight ( 145 grams) and they ran out of production at one point becuase of demand. This was about 1 year ago. I was dissapointed that the bearing seals were poor causing this to last 3 months riding in typical mixed off road conditions. Becuase of this, I would never buy anything made by American Classic again.

Race Face, XT, XTR Bontranger Race Lite

[Dec 24, 2005]
    Bret

Strength:

Lightweight, better chainline than outboard bearings, easily replacable bearings

tiny ISIS bearings- but you knew that!!! you MUST have a PROPERLY FACED BB shell for this product to function!!!I know this from experience.It is not forgiving like a full cartridge set-up.

Nice, lightweight servicable BB. It Will wear out- but for 10.00 bucks worth of bearings you get a practically new BB.

FSA Platinum Pro

[Mar 10, 2003]
    Marc Campolieto

Strength:

This bottom bracket is the lightest chromoly ISIS drive I can find. The operation of it is smooth.

Chirps like a bird. I had this bb for two months and it started chirping

I took it out, greased it and reinstalled it only to have it chirp again after five rides.

I love the way the bottom bracket feels. It seems to work well, and adjustments are not difficult. External greasing is not really of interest to me but it is a nice feature of the bottom bracket. I think a trip to Whistler Bearing to look at other bearing options might be a good idea.

Race Face titanium.

[Mar 30, 2003]
    Ben

Strength:

Light, stiff, easy to adjust.

Bearings wore out after six months of use.

The American Classic ISIS bottom bracket is one of the lightest out there. It is even more impressive when you find out that it is a chromoly bottom bracket. On the gram scale it weighed 144 grams. When new, it was as smooth as any other bottom bracket that I have used. Unfortunately, after six months of use, the bottom bracket started to chirp and no amount of greasing could stop it. Luckily, American Classics has a two year warranty on this product and they suspected that the bearing were load incorrectly and wore out. I am waiting for my warranty replacement. Their customer service is great. If you are a weight weenie, this is one of the lightest bottom brackets out there. In terms of stiffness, it is just as stiff as anything Shimano produces or better. We'll just see how well the replacement unit lasts.

Shimano, World Class

[Apr 07, 2005]
    Buc

Strength:

ISIS CrMo spindle. Replaceable bearings. 151 grams on a gram scale. When installed properly you can spin the cranks and get 10 full rotations before it stops. Very smooth. Can be serviced at home with at vice, hammer, wood block, and some lube.

You should not buy this if you have a bike shop do all of your maintence once a year or less often. You must install the BB and the crank arms with a torque wrench to ensure a long life. It may be overpriced for its simplicity but I guess you pay a premium for a good design.

I recommend this BB for those who are in tune with their bikes mechanical operation and are tentative to the needs of a super lightweight and serviceable BB.
    I didn’t use a torque wrench the first time I installed and had too much torque. When it started creaking I continued to tighten up and trashed the bearing within the next 20 miles. I bought replacement bearing and split rings from AC for less than $20 with shipping.
    I installed a second time with proper torque and let it go even though it felt like I could still tighten it up even more. You must use a torque wrench to install. With other BBs the tendency is to over torque when they begin to creak but not with the AC.
    So now that it is properly installed, it should work for many miles.
    Also, even if I do have to replace the bearings once a year, that is a small price to pay for such a lightweight and serviceable BB. AC is very responsive and is working on a bearing replacement manual. For now, follow these instructions…..

Remove from bike.
    Hold drive side bearing cup loosely in vice and protect the threads.
    With wood on the spindle, hammer the spindle through and keep track of the bearing and bearing cup assembly, the silver split rings, and the black outer press fit ring.
    Repeat on non-drive side with vice supporting the bearing and hammer the spindle through.
    For reassembly on the non-drive side I installed the split rings, slid the bearing against the split rings, slid the black outer ring against the bearing, then slid the crank arm against the black outer ring. Then tap the crank arm with a hammer to get the bearing sliding on the split rings, when the crank bolt begins to hit threads, press the bearing the rest of the way on by tightening the crank arm with the crank arm bolt. repeat for other side.

Therefore, for the money and when installed properly I give it 5 flamin' chilidos.

UN52, UN72, old XTR, campy chorus,

[Oct 11, 2004]
    John

Strength:

Lightweight & bearings are replacable!!!

This review is for the American Classic ISIS CrMo BB. I have ridden it for over 6 months now at least two 20+ mile rides a week. I have none of the problems other reviewers have complained about...squeeking or worn out bearings.

I have experienced first hand overtightening of a BB and it will cause the bearings to wearout prematurely. I used a torq wrench and followed the instructions with proper 20 lbs of torq. I have not touched my BB since and no squeeking.

I weigh 183 lbs and ride dusty So Cal trails.

What I like the most about the American Classic BB is the bearings can be replaced. The bearings cost $7 each and thats a BIG savings over a new BB. Not only that but you get lightweight 154g.

I have already bought 2 sets of replacement bearings waiting for install. My Truvativ Gigpipe SL lasted just over a year and about 1500 miles.

Go ahead and pay whatever but you won't get an ISIS BB with replacable bearings. Plus it only weighs 154g!!!

Truvativ Gigapipe SL ISIS, Shimano XT ISIS

[Jul 10, 2002]
    John

Strength:

Light, quiet (at least initially), very smooth with minimal friction, very adjustable chain line.

Installation is a little tricky related to chain line.
    The instructions are very sparse: we need more detail.
    I had to deviate a little to get the chain line under 50mm by installing both cups, then tweaking each side. The lock rings do not seem very robust and I expect problems keeping them tight.

So far, I am impressed although I’ve only had the product for a few days.
    I was amazed at the quiet, smooth rotation – something I could never achieve with my previous Race Face BB.

Shimano, Race Face