Zoom Telephonics Stem Stem

Zoom Telephonics Stem Stem

Zoom Stem

[Apr 25, 2010]
LPLives

Strength:

strong,cheap,easy to maintain

screw loosens after a while

It's a good, cheap and a very strong stem. I did a jump, which was 3 meters long and had now problems with it so far.
Only disadvantage is that the screws, from the faceplate, loosens itself after a while.Defiantly a go when you're on a budget like I am.

[Jul 10, 2003]
adam di cara
Downhiller

Strength:

i lasted a while before it broke

the main bit in the middle twisted about forty degrees i have to admit it was a harsh jump i wouldnt trust it on big jumps

its cool for cross country if you dont have much money then go ahead and buy

too may toolst

[Oct 23, 2005]
Alex Bonvie

Strength:

light, cheep, strong

too long for my liking

good fore some one saveing to get a new better one

none similer

[Feb 22, 2001]
Justin

Strength:

-very light for the price
-not completely ugly
-very strong

-face bolts tend to come loose occassionally

If your just getting into mountain biking this is going to be the best stem for your dollar, it will last you for many years, i have done everything with this stem, downhill, cross-country, you name it and it's still held up! This stem could be used by any type of biker, i'm not sure how much it weighs but i've heard it's only about 220 grams! which isn't too shabby considering it only costs about thirty bucks at a bike shop.

cheap k-mart crap

[Oct 20, 2000]
Sam Hewitt
Downhiller

Strength:

SO DAMN strong and good looking. Hard as hell

A bit heavu and bolts react uneven if done wrong

Get it if your on a budget, otherwise get something like the 24/7 stem+riser combo

Velocity stem / Kona stem / Box stem

[Jun 17, 2000]
ron spillers

Strength:

great looks, very light! Zoom competition zero degree rise 1and1/8 inch steerer.

I just noticed stess fractures in the front portion that wraps around the handlebar!

This is a great stem that gave me some good years of service. I ride fairly hard, but never really jump off canyons or anything. I was actually contemplating switching my handlebars because I was worried about fatigue when I noticed the stem itself was beginning to rip apart. This is kindof scary because I'm imagining myself on a fast descent with my handlebars coming completely detached from the bike. Another three or four weeks and kabloom!, I would've been dead. I'm not badmouthing Zoom, but it's a good reminder to be wary of light weight parts that are several years old. I've never broken anything in the past, I always figure it happened to other people. Bottom line, Where can I get another NEW Zoom stem to last me several more years!

[Jun 16, 2000]
Susan

Strength:

Extremely adjustable and well-made. Does what it's supposed to do. Light weight, too.

Looks weird

I needed a stem that was very adjustable and this does the trick. No problems at all. It's relatively lightweight, adjusts well and holds up well under use.
My only complaint: it looks dorky.

Coda

[Feb 13, 2001]
Jason

Strength:

Strong, cheap, light

This stem has been on two of my bikes and is one of the only original parts from my first bike, which basicly everything else fell apart on (even the frame rusted which is why I bought the Mongoose). It is a solid piece and has held up through a few good crashes, including one that I snaped the brake lever off the bike. If you have limited cash and need a new stem I don't think their is any out there that would serve you better.

Koshi, interloc, Kona, cheap department store crap

[Feb 02, 2004]
American Lesion

Strength:

Purdy....heh heh. Seems strong. Dirt-cheap.

Graphics will no doubt scrape right off...oh well.

Seems pretty servicable. No knocking the price. Nice finish, but the graphics look pretty lame (the 'Zoom' logo looks like it was sprayed on by an 8 year old).

Nashbar, Tioga, Kore, JD Components, SR, Nitto...etc, etc.

[Apr 17, 1999]
Joe

Strength:

+Stiff
+Cheap (it came on my bike though)
+Looks kinda cool

- Mysterious loosening of the faceplate bolts
- Looks kinda stupid

This stem does its job and it just plain good. I can't comment about weight because I haven't weighed it. Actually I think I heard it weighs something like 220 grams but I'm not really sure. The only bad thing about this stem is that on two occasions I have had the faceplate (the thing that holds the handlebar to the stem) bolts come loose and it made for a hard ride home (with the handlebar twisting back and forth!). It is not that big of a deal, but it was very unconvenient. I beleive this was due to me using the mtb that this stem is on for jumping off my backyard ramp (although I use it for XC racing too) and that might have been the cause. Still, I am only 100 pounds (junior racer) and I don't think my using the stem on jumping is a good enough exuse for what happened 2 TIMES. So, besides that it is perfect, so 5 flames, but subtract 2 for the loosning of its bolts.

Various other stems