SoftRide Suspension Stem Stem

Suspension Stem

Softride Suspension Stem

dan cuaron   Weekend Warrior [Nov 04, 2008]
Strength:

a 29ers rigid fork companion works great with rigid fork. absorbs that nasty jolt you get from off roading. arms wrist hands feel great after 4 hour rides . with carbon fork weight is super sweet around 2 pounds .

have to spend a lot more for stem than a regular stem. have to run flat bar . 25.4 diameter. lenght may be an issue only ones i seen are 130 and 150 mm long

rebirth for rigid 29ers you can have precision handling plushness & lightweight.great for xc technical riding. not intended for hucking or extreme downhilling. this is great for long rides. fatigue is greatly reduced. you have to shop for bargain. there are 4 models from softride from steel to lightweight aluminum. make sure you ck size of diameter they come in 2 sizes. riders that want to have comfort and still enjoy rigid fork precision will enjoy this product. i must mention that there no feeling of instability of bike with suspension stem . again this was a 29er review. happy trails.

Similar Products Used: girven flex stem
STEVE CAIRNS   Cross Country Rider [Jul 09, 2003]
Strength:

GOOD PARALELL FUNCTION, UNLIKE GIRVIN FLEXSTEM. LESS BOB THAN A PAIR OF SUSPENSION FORKS. LIGHT WEIGHT.

I HAVE THE YELLOW MORE EXPENSIVE MACHINED MODEL. THE PAINT TENDS TO FLAKE OFF FROM TIME TO TIME. SPARE PARTS MIGHT BE A PROBLEM IF REQUIRED.

AS LONG AS YOU LOOK AFTER IT AND GREASE AND TENSION BOLT REGULARLY YOU SHOULD HAVE NO PROBS.

Similar Products Used: SUS FORKS
Joseph Seckelman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 16, 2007]
Strength:

I have used it for 14 years and loved it until today.

Metal fatigue at the stem, after 14 years of use caused it go give way while I was going down hill and I ended up with holding my handle bars with no connection to the bike! Needless to say I crashed. It is a great product but would recommend changing it more frequently than I did.

Good but watch it, the metal fatigue could kill you.

Scott   Cross Country Rider [Jan 16, 2007]
Strength:

Light weight compared to a fork.
Works well on the small stuff.

flexs side to side.
Doesnt do any good on rough down hills.

Works very well on the smaller rough stuff. Great for cross country stuff. Light weight. I used to ride a full suspention bike. I rode a single speed and decided to build one. I used a softride stem on it and I love it. I havnt riden another bike since.

Tom   [May 04, 2007]
Strength:

Small to medium bumps are totally eaten up.

Small amount of side to side play.

Fabulous for commuting and touring. Mated with big, low pressure tires and a good saddle and you'll be smiling:) Really takes edge off. But if getting air time is what you like, get a fork. Sudden drop offs can be really disconcerting. Air = Weightless = "Oh Nuts!"

Similar Products Used: Forks of many types. Name it, I've probably tried and/or owned it.
Andrew Havens   Cross Country Rider [Oct 14, 2002]
Strength:

Minimal Maintenence
Super Reilibility
Light Weight

This product works and works well. I have riden it hard for 7 years for 15,000 plus miles. Raced it on a college team for two of those and have taken it for a week in Moab, Utah and down trails at Mt. Hood on a few occasions. It has been taken apart once for cleaning. I have never had to replace the bushings and it still works like it did when I rode with it the first time. As others have stated the stem shines in tight technical and general crosscountry riding. It is not as good for fast down hill decents but, if you are a "capable" rider its strengths far outweight its weaknesses. I have demoed suspension forks that cost $600 plus and would still pick my Soft Ride over them.

The Softride suspension stem should be used by anyone who is looking for relief from suspension maintenence nightmares and all of you weight concious riders out there. Suspension forks are great for their intended purpose, but if you ride tecnical crosscountry, Softride is the way to go.

silly boy   Cross Country Rider [Jul 26, 2001]
Strength:

when you talk about the weight compared to a REAL sus fork, you should add the weight of your fork too. Silly. Great suspension for your hands, nothing for the bike.

not a real bicycle suspension option

Silly product

Mike   Cross-Country Rider [Apr 11, 1999]
Strength:

Light and low maintenance

Not much good for really big hits

I replaced the stock stem on my bike with this unit because the frame does not have suspension geometry and I did not want to spoil the handling. I have teh Al Pro with the damper and find that there is a huge improvement over the rigid stem and the handling is as sweet as ever. I can now ride for hours with very little fatigue and the bike goes exactly where it is pointed. I have ridden a few bikes with good front forks and I really did not notice any appreciable difference between them and mine, in fact I thought that the stem is smoother and less bouncy than most forks. The only real problem has been the bolts continuously loosening. I typically have to tighten these up every couple of hours which is a pain in the ass but otherwise no maintenance problems. Oh, the other thing is that the the damper bolts are not available in titanium so if you spent the extra $$ on the titanium hardware for the Al pro, it is 50% wasted because you have to use the shitty steel bolts supplied with the damper (the nice machined ti units are too short). Overall I would reccommnd it as a real(and worthy) alternative to front forks.

Similar Products Used: No others really like it
Dave Kondrit   cross-country rider [Jul 21, 1997]

Well, I have had the experience of riding both a fork (girvin) and the softride stem.
I must say the stem is effective in certain situations. If the going is relatively smooth
or the bumps are small stutter bumps, the stem works. However, once the terrain turns
choppy and the speed increases the stem quickly finds itself over matched. Although
the stem will absorb some of the impact it really doesent offer suspension. It does
offer comfort but not a lot of control once things get hairy. Also, the stem tends to dive
down which places the rider over the front wheel. The more aggresive I get the
more I have to lean back, which takes weight off the stem, making it less effective thus
jamming the bar back into your hands. On the upside, it is very light (for those gram counting weenies among us) and as I stated earlier,
it will work well in certain conditions. If you are a hammer head who likes to slam down the trail
or ride an area with big baby head size rocks and sharp bumps this is not for you. If you like to finesse a trail
or ride where the bumps are small this could be your ticket. It's not all bad, but its not great either. By the way, I have ridden the stem for 1 1/2
years. I am buying a judy fork. I am 6'0, 180 lbs., and ride agressively. I give it 2.5 chilis rounded to 3.

Dave Blake   racer [Jul 16, 1997]

I've been racing 7 years. I've used several suspension
forks. Then I got a Softride. It was different, to be sure.
1) It only cost $100
2) I felt I lost no speed on any terrain relative to a 2 travel
fork of any kind - even compared to friends riding
Judy SLs
3) it is significantly lighter, and front end lightness is
important for handling
4) it does not change the best line on technical trails
relative to riding rigid
5) the front wheel tracking is perfect
6) the real clincher is, I cannot even notice it working
because it is so smooth.It is no wonder there were three world championships won
on stems OVER forks. I will be using them in the future,
and saving money and weight. In my opinion there is
no product for $100 that will improve a rigid bike
more, and no fork with less than 3 travel that I would
rather use. Period. It especially shines in technical
terrain that need to be ridden slower than 10 MPH -
it is least effective on point and shoot high speed
fire road downhills.