Ritchey WCS Mountain Stem Stem

WCS Mountain Stem

winsail   Cross Country Rider [Oct 02, 2012]
Strength:

Very Light seems to clamp tight

Bad engineering or bad advertisement you choose. Does not work with bars beyond 20mm rise

I'm giving this stem low ratings because it ruined my salsa pro moto carbon riser bars. This stem probably works great with flat bars or the bars I replaced my old ones with 20mm lo rise easton carbon bars. I bought this new in the box with no warnings or directions. I had to go online in the ritchey tech section to read a pdf saying this stem may not work with all bars?! That's an understatement. I feel like the advertising should fully disclose the inability to use this stem with any bars beyond 20mm rise. I would not suggest you buy this stem unless you're using flat bars. Crank brothers cobalt 3 stem has the exact same problem. Pleae advertise these stems as limited use or re-engineer them.

Similar Products Used: FSA 0S99, Giant Carbon Stem, Crank brothers Cobalt 3, Race Face
swiss4ever   Weekend Warrior [Mar 25, 2009]
Strength:

Light,

I've been using Ritchey's WCS stems on both MTB and road bikes for the past 5 years, nevey had a single problem. Always bought it at a local distributor, it might be worwhile sometimes to avoid the hassle of warranty if bought cheap on the net.

Similar Products Used: Race Face
Al Garcia   Cross Country Rider [Dec 09, 2008]
Strength:

very lite, nice graphics

weak stem, although it was tightened with a torque wrench the stem craked at the mounting bolts after a couple months of use.

stem is very lite and has strong grab on handlebar. however, the metal used is either week or britle and cracked at the upper mounting bolt within 6 months of use. this bike is used by my girlfriend for very lite xc - no jumps. im quite dissapointed with product quality.

Mervin Jumawan   Weekend Warrior [Feb 06, 2003]
Strength:

One of the lightest MTB stem I've used; very stiff, very beautyfull nice styling.

None at the Moment

For XC rider and Touring this Stem is really good because its so light and Stylish and tough enough for a 75 KGS guy like me jumping and going rough.

Similar Products Used: Amoeba, KORE.
Ryan Baumann   Cross Country Rider [Oct 23, 2005]
Strength:

Lightweight. Strong. 4-Bolt Clamp. Looks Great too

The four bolt face clamp with two seperate hinges is not as carbon friendly as I'd like. Could be stiffer, but not an issue unless in a longish legnth (>120mm)

A great lightweight, strong stem for the money. If you plan on usin carbon bars, email Ritchey and ask them to send you a small shim to make the clamp more carbon-friendly. It's a decently stiff stem, but you can definatly tell that a Thompson Elite is stiffer.

Overall, for the weight, it is a great XC racing component.

Similar Products Used: Thompson elite, Easton EA 50, Specialized flip-fop
HTail   [Aug 12, 2003]
Strength:

Light, stiff, strong.

As previously posted, surprisingly stiff,and strong. It defies it's weight and whispy looks. If you're not a huge person and freeriding, I think this makes for a great trail riding XC stem.

Similar Products Used: Answer, Specialized
Chris   Weekend Warrior [Jan 09, 2003]
Strength:

Probably lightest MTB stem available; nice styling; unique diagonal clamp slit with opposing bolts for even stress on steer tube; four-bolt removable front clamp with open center; low profile clamp (adds very little to stack height).

None. It just stays there doing its job and looking good.

Was looking for light weight stem with adequate strength and good looks. This stem shines in all those areas. I really like the look of the Thomson, as well, especially since it would match my seatpost, but this was lighter and the older Thomsons (without the serial number printed on the front clamp plate) were reported to be scoring carbon bars and causing them to fail.

Similar Products Used: assorted generic
Rex   Cross Country Rider [Sep 11, 2003]
Strength:

Once it's on the bike, I forgot about the stem, and never have to worry about the stem.

This stem is one of the lightest stem you can find, and it can handle everything a cross country rider throws at a bike. The stem is supposed to be inactive. The fork and the front tire is absorbing all of the front end forces, so the stem just need to turn accurately and not flex. This stem certainly does not flex. The bar will flex before the stem moves. It provides a solid feel to the bike when I grab the stem to push the bike up the hill or when I need to turn the bike around. I am very happy with this stem.

The only theoretical concern is that aluminum can get catastrophic failure without warning. In that regards, a ti stem might be more reliable since it will bend, but not break. However, I had my old aluminum Ritchey stem for 12 years and it is still holding up my old Bridgestone. I am counting on the Ritchey to do the same for my Seven. Perhaps I can upgrade to a titanium stem once Seven or Moots make a lighter and more affordable stem. Until then, this is one of the most solid light stem you can get on the market.