Race Face Deus Stem

The Deus XC stem is highly engineeredTo maximize stiffness & minimize weight. Featuring aerospace 7050 aluminum alloy,This stem is ideal for high level cross country racers & riders who want a performance XC stem. 3d Net forged 7050 aluminum Four bolt bar clamp 6 deg rise 1 1/8" steerTube clamp Published weight 135 grams (100mm w/ 31.8 clamp)

MikeO   Racer [Jul 13, 2003]
Strength:

Light, great clamp for bars, bolts don't stick out that much so your knees feel a little safer.

The black anodization is kind of weak compared to their cranks.

This stem is sweet. Lighter than my Thompson and best of all it doesn't mover around on the steer-tube like the Thompson did. Just as stiff as the Thompson, a little stiffer than the old Bontrager. The clamp for the handlebars is really nice, especially if you have carbon bars because the edges of the clamp mechanism won't dig into the bar when tightening. They did a good job with the placement of the bolts that clamp the steer-tube, they design is pretty smooth and they don't stick out like pungi-sticks. I am really happy with this stem so far, the only downer is the black anodization, it doesn't look as dark-black as the cranks - but then again I should be smacked for such a lame complaint! 4 Chili's for the price because I didn't pay retail, but it's on par with most high end stems.

Similar Products Used: Thompson, Bontrager
Biz   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2003]
Strength:

Bullet proof, sexy looking, relatively light

Price

No creaking or loosening of the allen bolts yet--this thing is tough, ultra-sexy looking, and light. I have the 5 degree 100mm stem, and it's served me well so far. Main competition would be the Thompson Elite, but this one's a bit cheaper than that

Genital Apparatus   Cross Country Rider [Jun 28, 2003]
Strength:

Very cool looking, finishing is awesome, very light but also strong.

Maybe price, but not for me because I got a really good deal on it...otherwise, no weaknesses

Probably the best component I own since I'm sort of a newbie to all of this. Cool looks, excellent manufacturing quality. I'll never forget the name Raceface ever again. Recommend for anyone who can afford it or who gets a good deal on it...Raceface is an excellent manufacturer.

Similar Products Used: Cheapo stem, came stock with my crappy bike.
demonic   [Jun 25, 2003]
Strength:

stiff stiff stiff

great stem, stiffer than the thomson IMHO and doesn't look at klunky either. the RF stem face is also much kinder to cables than the thomson because there are no protrusions.
worth the cash.

Similar Products Used: thomson
blatido   Cross Country Rider [Sep 02, 2003]
Strength:

Pretty nice looking!

Haven't found any

This is a very good product right out-of-the-box. I cannot say it makes me a better rider, if it's better than Thomson or how to evaluate stiffness, but one thing is for sure: you put in on your bike and you forget about it! Well, at least until someone else looks at your bike and say "Wow! Your stem looks cool!". One of the best stems on the market. Nuff said.

macaigne cyrus   Weekend Warrior [May 22, 2003]
Strength:

stiff, very good looking, very good clamping system

none (price maybe?)

this is the perfect stem. buy this one or the thomson.
it has a very good clamping system, with 4 bolts, it is very stiff and light. and it makes my bike look so cool!

Similar Products Used: a lot of different stems: some as light (bot not as stiff) some as stiff (but a lot heavier)... only the thomson fr stem would match
Jim Tremblay   Weekend Warrior [Jun 08, 2007]
Strength:

Great looks. Locally made. Quality materials.

Pinch bolts are too small and easily stripped when torqued to factory recommended specifications. I only use quality MAC Tools inch lbs torque wrench.

This product was purchased to complement a full XTR groupo with Easton carbon bars. Every part has been selected for top quality construction and materials. The pinch bolts started to strip when torqued for the third time, to Race Face specifications. I immediately removed the stem and took it plus my expensive MAC Tools micro torque wrench to Race Face for inspection as they are local manufactures. The warrantee department replaced the bolts, sent me away and threatened that my warrantee would be void if I returned the stem directly myself. They said warrantee claims would only be considered if sent be a dealer. The bolts failed when the dealer reinstalled the stem and Race Face denied any further claim. Buy a Thompson! I have had mine for quite some time and am extremely satisfied.

Similar Products Used: Thompson
SA   Cross Country Rider [Apr 24, 2003]
Strength:

So pretty

Makes no difference what-so-ever it terms of performance.

I bought this product because it makes my bike look nicer and I have nothing else to do with my money, not to make me climb or descend better. Period.

5 chillis for shear beauty
4 for overall value considering price

Similar Products Used: nothing worth mentioning
Scott   Weekend Warrior [Oct 08, 2002]
Strength:

Two bolt opposing rear clamp design. And the CNC work on this stem is a work of art!

None so far

I got this stem as a Trade for my Thomson stem that would not hold the steer tube. I love this stem, it stays tight, I like the opossing bolt design, and the four bolt handle bar clap. The stem feels stiff, and I have no worries of it coming loose. If you want a stem that is simple to adjust and stays were you want it, by the Race Face!