Race Face Deus XC Stem

Deus XC

Deus XC stem has been dramatically re-designed to minimize weight. We’ve kept the same performance enhancing features that have made our stems some of the industry’s best. However, we’ve trimmed the excess weight, making this stem ideal for high level cross country riders and racers.

• Forged 7050 aluminum

Wheelspeed   Cross Country Rider [Aug 27, 2011]
Strength:

Low cost, light weight.

Bolts rusted after awhile, but, I never dry my bike after it gets wet and it rains a lot in Pittsburgh.

Stem has been fine. I'm 170# with a 3x9 drivetrain and using CF bars. No problems. I don't normally rate parts, but I happened to see people's various complaints. Here are some pointers:

- If you're over 200#, you probably shouldn't be choosing lightweight parts. (Well, light derailleurs/shifters should be ok.)
- If you're using singlespeed or maybe even 1x9, then you probably shouldn't be using light xc stems since most of you guys like wide bars and need to pull on that bar pretty hard up hills.
- If you're using CF bars, it's probably a good idea to touch the edges of any stem with some emery paper or some kind of wet-sanding paper to be sure there are no manufacturing burrs on the edges that can score your bars or create a stress-concentration area.

Similar Products Used: Various no-name stems from the LBS parts-take-off bin box.
Acid   Cross Country Rider [Nov 21, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, nothing more

- CRACKED !!!
- Peeling finish
- Looks very bad in silver

Where is the quality???

I agree with the opinion:

"For the finish on a high end stem to peel off after a couple of months and then to crack after a year after jumping off nothing higher than a foot is completely unacceptable...don't mess around, if you wanna spend this much get a thomson!"

pine_o   Cross Country Rider [Jul 25, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight

Very poor craftsmanship

I purchased the white version of this stem. The white paint is very fragile and began chipping off during the installation. The top bolt did not thread properly and stripped the bolt. This is a lightweight stem, but the craftsmanship of the white version is weak.

Similar Products Used: Race Face Evolve
Easton 90
dubdryver   Cross Country Rider [Mar 29, 2010]
Strength:

One of the lightest stems for the price, and even against stuff much more expensive! Solid construction

lame Race Face "eye" emblem on the front?

I read some of the other reviews for this product. I have the black version, it looks a little better I think. By the price/weight ratio there is nothing that really even comes close to to this stem. I run Easton MonkeyLite XCs CNT version and have no problems with the stem doing bad to the bars. It has been solid and has performed beyond my expectations.

There is a rumor, well maybe not..its true, there is a bunch of clydesdales riders rolling around on light XC equipment, and then putting a bunch of negative reviews on everything. If you are 220+ w/o gear, and rolling around on light XC components, news flash! You are probably going to break it! Thats just the way it is. Go out and purchase all-mountain type components and thrash it. It will better serve you! Its like taking a SID to a downhill event...not very smart.

I weigh 178 w/o Gear, and I ride hard and ask a lot of the stem, and it has held up flawlessly, so take it as a grain of sand, if you feel you fit the perimeters of this product's limits, you won't be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Easton EAs, Truvativ Stylo
mtmtbkr   Cross Country Rider [Mar 12, 2010]
Strength:

Clean, Four Bolt Face Plate, Matte Black Model

none so far

For over a year this has served its purpose flawlessly. I run a typical XC set-Up in the Intermountain West. Never had a doubt about the strength or ability of this stem. I don't run Carbon bars as I am 200+ packed with gear.
Stiff, Lightweight, well made.

Similar Products Used: Thomson, Syncros, Ringle, Easton, Syntace
Ecogeek   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap, light, strong enough in shorter lengths. 4-bolt face-plate.

Slightly too weak for strong, heavy riders using longer bars and bar-ends.

Great deals to be had on this stem. If you use a shorter stem and/or are a lighter rider and use shorter bars this will be fine. If you use a long stem/bars, and/or are heavier (>180lbs) you should probably look elsewhere. I have the 110mm non-chrome version holding a 26" Easton Monkeylite XC carbon riser bar w bar-ends. I weigh 180lbs and 190lb+ loaded and haul on the bar ends. No problems so far (touch wood). I changed the stem and bars at the same time, so I'm not certain yet whether the extra flex I feel is just the 25.4mm carbon bars, or bars and stem. The reviewer that said this stem broke his Monkeylite probably had a scratch on the bar, a defect to the bar, a burr on the stem that was missed, overtorqued it (should be ~6.5N/m), or a combination of the above. These are def fine w carbon if you take care setting up. When you set up a carbon bar, you have to make sure the stem is free of sharp edges/burrs. I think at $25 these stems are a steal for the XC rider. Def a bit too light for heavier riders looking for an all-mountain stem. But that is not only obvious, but it's absolutely clear from the manufacturer. I switch this out for a shorter Easton Vice stem for freeride. Any fatties using the 130mm+ versions of the Deus for downhill are asking for trouble, but that is SOO obvious, you can't knock the product for failure under those circs. Certainly, if you're a strong, agressive XC rider, you will wonder if this is strong enough. I still wonder, but so far so good. 1chili off for making me wonder. V light though.

Similar Products Used: WTB. Truvativ. Titec.
Andy   [May 26, 2008]
Strength:

Light and nice looking.

Narrow walls.

The narrow walls trashed my beautiful Easton Monkeylite bar. Was torqued to 40 inch pounds with a torque wrench. These are NOT carbon safe. GARBAGE!!!
WTF Race Face???

Similar Products Used: Old Race Face Deus, Thomson Syncros and many others
Evan Price   Cross Country Rider [Dec 27, 2006]
Strength:

Light,looks bling when new

Silver chrome finish started to peel off after a month or so. Was completly gone after a year and peeled off leaving sharp edges.
Cracks developed at the headset side on top and below and spread towards the handlebar.