Profile Racing Stiffy Ti Stem

Stiffy Ti

Profile Stiffy Ti

Mountain Man   Cross Country Rider [Dec 30, 2000]
Strength:

STIFF! Light, Cool Looking and Exotic

Price...
Creaks (what do you expect? it's titanium! who cares, it still works great!)

The first two reviewers of this stem are complete idiots. Look at stems for their STIFFNESS, not their LIGHTNESS. Notice how it's called the Stiffy and not the Lighty? And stop your complaining about the weight! My stem's about 200 grams and I consider it light! Profile probably weighed the stem without the bolts in it, but so what? 172 grams is a VERY light stem! If you want to save weight so bad, go shave your head, you'll save a lot more than the 20 gram difference you're complaining about! And you'd even be able to wear a smaller size helmet!
You're an idiot to be using Ti bolts in a Ti stem, haven't you ever heard of mechanical bonding? Anti-seize isn't always 100% effective!
I value a light bike, but you hate your stem because it's 20 GRAMS heavier than you thought?!? That's pathetic! What are you, a leg shavin', paint strippin' roadie?!?
This is a great stem, value it, treasure it, and stop b*tchin' about it!

Similar Products Used: Titec 'Lil and Big Al, Profile BOA, No-name POS
cm   Cross Country Rider [Aug 31, 2000]
Strength:

STIFF! good looks and fit.

binder bolt broke (partially my fault...I torqued it too much...
Graphics are fragile

Great stem, nice stiffness and durabilty. Good for heavy riders wanting a good tracking front-end.

Similar Products Used: KORE lite 3
Knute Aberhanson   Cross-Country Rider [Oct 05, 1999]
Strength:

Looks cool

WEIGHT!
Price
Creaks... as Ti does...

Now that I've owned this stem for 3 months, I can give this piece a REAL review: Unless you've got the bucks forthe wow factor, save your cash and get a Kore or Control Tech stem. The 120 x 1-1/8stem weighs 172 gm (almost as much as a control tech aluminum - and that's AFTER I swapped out the steel bolts for Ti!!!) It flexes, creaks and if you are not careful, you'll damage the threads if using Ti bolts like I am currently doing.For the price I paid, this stem is a rip! 1 flaming dog terd for this piece of work!

Similar Products Used: Kore Elite
Control Tech
Syncros
Knute Aberhansen   Racer [Jun 07, 1999]
Strength:

Looks cool
removable face plate

PRICE!!!
Weight: Heavier than advertised, almost as heavy as aluminum stiffy

I bought this stem because the sales person(at Profile directly!) confirmed that indeed the stem was 140 grams for the 120mm stem, and even when I got the stem right there on the box in big bold letters it says less than 150 grams. Since I'm a techno/weight geek I weighed the thing: just over 170 grams! Yes that's pretty lite, but FAR from what is quoted and had I paid retail, I would have sent it back and stuck with my Kore Elite or Control Tech!BOTTOM LINE: Looks cool (rounded square cross section and Ti appearance of course) It is pretty stiff! BUT over priced for the weight and function that every other Mfg has to offer, so only 3 flaming buffalo bagels

Similar Products Used: Control Tech
Kore Elite (awesome!)
Knute Aberhansen   [Jan 23, 2001]
Strength:

VERY Cool looking - WOW factor

H-bar plate design, creaks (it's Ti!), overpriced.

This is my third review to counter the other hotheads that slammed my other reviews... my view still holds.

This stem is overpriced (even though I paid ONLY $100 for it), flexes more than aluminum and weighs about the same... The reason this creaks I believe is the H-bar plate design... almost all the load is placed on the bolts since the design has a smaller than usual "base" area that the H-bar seats on. And YES I use Ti bolts on a Ti stem... if you use the proper anti-seize and torque the bolts propery, I've had no problem in this application.

True this stem should never fatigue compared to AL. If you can get it for under $100 consider it... it is very cool looking... now that I've had it for a year... here is my final on the flamin' chilis:

Similar Products Used: Kore, Control Tech, etc.