Koski Engineering Stem Stem

• 1 1/8" Steerer Diameter
  • Available in 5 or 15 degree rise
  • Available in 60, 95, 105, 115, 125 and 135mm lengths
  • Available in Polished Silver or Shot Blast Black
  • Weight: (135mm length) 235g.

• User Reviews (11)

blasto   Weekend Warrior [Nov 29, 2001]
    Strength:

4 bolt pattern
    super strong
    stays tight

none yet

The four bolt pattern stays tight, holds bar secure
    Black shot-peened looks great
    Beautifully forged--no welds
    Great value

Similar Products Used: titec
    Jim T   Weekend Warrior [Apr 19, 2001]
    Strength:

Fit and finish, strength, very nice welds.

Why finish this beautiful stem with crappy decals, even my stock marin stem is screen printed.

Looks like a nicely made product, upon installation the decals started peeling off the beautiful shot peened finish. The 4 bolt clamp holds the bar securely and the stem clamp works fine. The welds are consistant and fit and finish are beautiful, why would you finish off such a nice product with crappy decals. With the decals coming off in my hands and the rise not exactly what I wanted (this was my fault not Koskis)this went back, and I purchased a Thomson.

peter   Cross Country Rider [Jan 15, 2001]
    Strength:

cost, looks great

none so far

not only does the shot peen finish look great, the stem is fully funtional with no problems. the four bolt clamp holds with no problem. the decal is not laser etched, but once its fully off, i probably will not replace. best stem i have had so far.

Similar Products Used: ritchey, kalloy, coda
    Tom   Cross Country Rider [Oct 29, 2000]
    Strength:

cool looking
    doesnt loosen up
    not very heavy

the logo is not lazer etched, its stuck on w/ decals

pretty good stem, i got it in a build kit and i havent had any trouble with it. Looks like its pretty durable. the stickers are kinda cheap looking

Similar Products Used: sun ringle, kore
    David   Cross Country Rider [Sep 01, 2000]
    Strength:

S-T-R-O-N-G
    pleasingly consistent welds
    overall finish and quality
    125mm size availability...(PERFECT)

the Koski logo or moniker is not painted or laser-etched, so the stickers that are on this shot-peened finish stem have peeled off waaaayyyy too easy...however, Eric Schurr at Koski hooked me up with a whole envelope of replacement decals...
    ...and it's not OVERLY light, really...around 224 grams for the 125mm, I believe...no matter though, I can readily notice the attributes of its strength to weight ratio, so no complaints.

So far, no problems whatsoever (aside from the silly decal thing)...This stem is the 4-bolt pattern and has proven to be a VERY solid XC stem...I have not been able to flex it at all and it has not creaked or come loose...not even once. I had a bit of a problem keeping my RF SYStem tight and "creak-free"...Suffice to say, I am content.

Similar Products Used: RaceFace SYStem, Control Tech, Kore
    Andy   [Jun 20, 2005]
    Strength:

Great selection of sizes.

Great stem for a great price. Leave the CF and other weight saving crud for the roadies. It has taken the abuse I've dished out with no compaints what so ever. 5 for 5 on this puppy

Similar Products Used: Kalloy
    Bizario   Cross Country Rider [Dec 18, 2002]
    Strength:

Price, Qulity, Stiff and looks good.

Weight (but only if you compare it to stems 3X the price)

Ok, It’s not a Thomson… but if you are a bit shy on the bucks this is the stem for you. I bought 2 of these as interim stems as I gave my wife the Thomson off my GT and needed a stem till I got something better. I put the other on my Marin MVP to get the geometry right until I could scratch up the bucks for a Thomson. Well, 3 months down the road I have to say that the one on my GT will stay. It looks good, feels stiff and it is a bit on the heavy side; but we are talking about a $19 stem. I will spend the extra cash for the Thomson on my MVP as I like the looks (This is just me being anal) and I strive to keep this bike light. I have had no problem with decals (I’m not sure that they are decals) coming off and the only reason to worry about the amount of torque that you use on these stems is so that you don’t crush your bars. This stem is clearly worthy of being classified with stems over twice its price and the length / angle selection is pretty good.
    Bottom line… I give this stem 5 flaming Habaneros

Similar Products Used: Thamson Elite, Easton EA 60, a few nopname stems.
    Hank   Weekend Warrior [Sep 05, 2002]
    Strength:

secure fit. The look is okay, but nashbar's version isn't polished, it's a dull silver-like powder.

the brand stickers. Again, nashbar's version isn't polished silver, so it doesn't match the other silver components on my bike. But who cares... I do alittle :)

For $10, this is a good deal. I still like the polished silver version!!

Similar Products Used: stock trek and stock mongoose
    joshster   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2004]
    Strength:

strong, powdercoat finish, 4 bolt cap, easy to remove logo

not CF light, but then it's a stem & therefore not the best place to save weight
    Lousy labels (no complaints though)

This is a competent, beefy stem with a nice finish. The stickers were peeling, which I think is why it was in a clearance box at the Kelly swap meet. I just used a spoon handle to scrape off the remaining stickers & buffed it out afterwards. Looks sweet now & helped cut down the number of logos on my bike. Peeled the stickers off of my Marzocchi too, so the rig's looking pretty sweet & stealth.

Similar Products Used: kalloy, kona stock (kalloy?), ritchey
    Hervisaurus   Cross Country Rider [Sep 23, 2002]
    Strength:

Super stiff, really sturdy 4 bolt removable face plate, good weight to strength ratio

Not available in 0 Degree rise

It's one of the nicest stems I've used. It's not the lightest stem in the world, so if you're a super weight weenie, don't bother, but it usually beats stock on most bikes. It's really strong and it's the stiffest part of my front end. Everything else under my hands flexes like hell but this thing doesn't move. The forging on it is beautiful. The only problem I found is the rise. I ride a 21 inch frame with a massive head tube, so the angle of my fork is set way back. It would be nice if they offered it in a 0 degree rise or even a negative. Also everyone else has been complaining about their decals coming off, but my stem is laser etched. They must have gotten ripped off. Simply put, if you're looking for a really lightweight stem, go elswhere, but if you don't give a damn buy this stem, it's fantastic. 5 burning mounds of platypus excrement for the value (can't beat 8 bucks) and, although they didn't have a 0 degree, I'm not gonna penalize them on the overall.