FSA XC-120 Stem

• CNC machined aluminum

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 02, 2003]
    Ron

Strength:

Weight

square edges, I have striped 2 of the 6 ti bolts...I work in a shop and understand that you need to first losen a bolt before you wrench down on it......

cost vs. weight vs. reliablity....I would go with a Thompson next time

[May 20, 2003]
    easy rider

Strength:

Looks good, did everything it was supposed to... for a while.

durability?

The front clamp on mine cracked near one of the bottom bolts only after about 6-7 months... disappointing as I only use this bike for commuting on roads/paths. I contacted the local distributor and they agreed to meet me half way for the replacement cost of a new front clamp. I guess its better than nothing but im sure the bolts were not tightened too much so really I expected better. I would try it again though as im assuming it was just a faulty clamp.

kore,titec,kona

[Jul 02, 2002]
    Mick

misclaim on the weight

This stem will do what it is intended to do. It looks nice which is only a small consolation to that fact that the published weight is grosely understated. Mine weighs 156g instead of the published 120g. Not a huge difference but if I would have know that before buying, I would have gotten a Thomson. FSA, you loose a chili for lying.

s-works; 200g but has a weak clamp.

[Oct 22, 2002]
    Joel Rogers

Strength:

Lightweight, Ti bolts, 4-bolt setup makes it stiff, priced pretty reasonable considering it's so light...

Steerer Tube clamp has semi-sharp edges, so it isn't very knee-friendly...most all stems used to be this way, when the whole threadless movement came along...and they stopped making them that way for a reason...I guess if you never crash, and you never banged your knee into the back of your stem, you'll be fine....8^)

Seems as though this stem is pretty stiff, which is a good thing considering how light it is. Gotta be careful with the Ti hardware though.

Ritchey, cannondale, Kore (it had a really smooth steerer clamp), but weighs a ton...

[Apr 22, 2003]
    Sindross

I just had to post a review on this stem as soon as i got it! I bought it from pricepoint.com. Its incredibly lite! The box claims it weighs 130grams, but that's problably for the smaller stem, 100mm or something. I got the 110mm so its problably a bit heavier. I'll post another review in a few months, then i will know how it handles the trails...

[Dec 18, 2002]
    Manuel Ang

Strength:

Headquarters located minutes away!

None really.

Update from previous:
    I wanted to do some maintenance on the front end and needed to remove the stem, crud, the head on a Ti allen bolt stripped, saddened I looked up their website and was suprised that their HQ is located right in the next town over - right off the bike trail even. I told the Service Rep the problem and he told me to come in and get a replacement. That simple, by the end of the day instead of having to communicate to an international company I had my part as was ready to go. For you local Seattle Northend riders that should be a big plus!

Upping the rating for service!

Other stems on other bikes. Mostly no-name or in house brands.

[Aug 13, 2002]
    Andrew Klauser

Strength:

Low Weight, finish

none.so far

Weighs in a bit below 160g. So some grams more than the Ritchey. But the additional meat translates into a much stffier feeling (I=220 lbs). So, inmy oppinion, the ideal stem for a light xc bike. The Ritchey is to flexy for my taste (and weight). The others are heavier. The Syntace is good, stiff, dependable, threads tend to give. The Roox is super stiff, for hard core fuzzies very recomendable. The Syncros is a pain in the neck to install, the Kore is uneaven, the Race face talks with you.

Syntace Megaforce, Race Face System, Ritchey WCS, Syncros Cattlehead, Roox Danny's Stem, Kore

[Jul 25, 2002]
    Manuel Ang

Strength:

The FSA stem (although not the highest ranked stem) is one of the lightest with a 4 bolt retention and the fact that colors matched my bike was the lock.

I don't know why I would spend $60 on a stem???? One of the screws was semi-defective - the allen head.

I guess its a XC stem. Its construction tells you not to use it for DH. It is still one of the absolute lightest stems available with a 4 screw retention system. It also has a cool cutaway look on the portion attached to the steerer tube. It also appears to be machined which adds to its value points. I don't know, I would not get a stem unless cutting grams or trying to make a bike fit themselves. If you've never experienced bar movement and the bike fits you forget it. If you are DH that might be a different story as durability plays the biggest role but for normal bike applications if it ain't broke don't fix it. Apparently this unit weights in about 1 ounce more (28 g ) than advertised at 120g. I saw it advertised at 145g and it is still one of the lightest.

Original products that came with bike.

[Jul 25, 2002]
    Stephen K. Barbar

Strength:

Light, Look nice, Stiff, less vibration than other Alumium stem, the color match my bike.

None so far. I suppose you should not too tighten the titanium screws (the matal is supposed to be soft).

I would like to recommend this stem to my friends. It is so good looking, light and trouble free. I don't know why, I can feel less vibration from this stem when compare with other alumium stems. May be the claim is a lot wider and it uses 4 screws. I use 6 degree rise and 120mm length and it is working good for me. From the review below, my stem also weight 156 gms. I think the 120gm on advertising is for its 90mm length stem. +/- 10 per centage in weight is acceptiable to me. I am quite satisfied with it.

Brontrager, Aximon, icon.

[Apr 18, 2002]
    pedalAZ

Strength:

Good lookin'

Not as light as advertised

Ordered this from Jenson USA after Jenson's ads touted its weight as 120 grams. Actual weight on digital scale for 120mm x 6 degree stem is 157 grams. 105mm model weighed 145 grams, per another Arizona customer.

Still a decent value at 59 bucks, but WAY off on weight claims. Beware!

I'm only giving 3 chilis because of the misrepresentation. Workmanship looks good, and I am happy with my other FSA product (crankset).

Kore Ahead Lite