FSA Gap Stem

• CroMo hardware
  • Clamp: 31.8mm
  • Stack: 40mm

longlongpelaman   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2011]
Strength:

Cheap, strong, functional.

None so far

Stripped threads? Really? Common lets face it most of us are not "hucking" it that big. The thing is there are a shortage of short stems out there. Someone was thinking of me when they made this stem. I ride an all mountain bike and free ride it a little. That is what it was made for, not a downhill bike.

OVERALL
OSM   Racer [Jan 21, 2010]
Strength:

This stem is cheap and easy to get a hold off almost anywhere. It is lighter than some that are more pricey.

Nothing special to look at. threads stripped from inside of stem at steer tube clamp.

I got this stem twice. The 1st time I needed a stem fast. It worked, so I ran it for a year untill the threads stripped out from inside the bolt hole.(maybe I over tightened just a bit) I needed another stem so I could go ride. The same product was available for $20 so I got it. well, 7 months later I stripped the top threads on the clamp again. (time for a Sunline V-one 65mm) I did take this stem off 6' drops, 20' doubles a few DH HT races, lots of crashes. lots of climbing hours. some more climbing. At least 700 hours of use between the 2 stems. The bars never slipped and the stem never failed under use. the forks did twist out of alignment w/ the bars one time during a DH race crash. Strong enough for AM use. a little heavy for XC. strong for some free ride, but not hucking a big bike off cliffs.