Contol Tech Stem Stem

Contol Stix Stem

weather expert   Weekend Warrior [Oct 05, 2002]
Strength:

er...cheap?

badly aligned--the stem and the bar aren't perpendicular to each other!

this stem came and it looked somehow different. i put it on anyway but soon discovered that the bar and the stem are not at right angle. talking about quality control eh?

Similar Products Used: salsa, icon, syncros
Jo Blo   Cross Country Rider [Apr 18, 2004]
Strength:

-Light
-Clean looks

-Chews holes in carbon bars
-Handlebar clamp is JUNK and DESTROYS CARBON HANDLEBARS
-Threads strip very easily
-Flexy

This stem was a stop-gap just to get my bike on the road while waiting to get something real like a Thomson or Deus. What a mistake that was...This piece of junk is the antithesis of what a stem should be: the handlebar clamp simply does not work and will not hold a riser bar tightly wihtout self-destructing and eating the threads; the entire stem flexes wildly when riding; and WORST OF ALL, THIS THING RUINS CARBON HANDLEBARS.

Seriously, to anyone considering this stem for use with ANY carbon handlebars, AVOID IT LIKE THE PLAGUE! It took chunks out of the clamping area of my Easton MonkeyLite, and this is AFTER I TOOK THE TIME TO FILE & SAND ANY AND ALL SHARP EDGES AND BURRS BEFORE INSTALLATION. The points around the clamping area seem to dig into the bar during use, slowly taking chunks out of the bar. Luckily I noticed what was happening after only 5 days of use, but enough damage was done to make me wonder if the bar is still safe to ride.

Compared to the SyStem: the Race Face is probably 200% stiffer (40g heavier); the quality of finish of the RF is head and shoulders above the CT in terms of machining and tolerances. The only drawback to the RF was it creaked when dirty.

Compared to the old (pre buy-out) Syncros: the Syncros had to be the stiffest stem on the planet and was beautifuly constructed -no comparison at all, really.

Compared to the Specialized Ti: the Specialized was also a flexy unit, but level of finish was still far better than the Control Tech. At least the clamp worked.

Bottom Line: this stem is absolute junk, and if you care at all about performance, strength, and longevity, get something else.... ANYthing else. I wouldn't ride another one if I were paid to.

Similar Products Used: Race Face SyStem, Syncros (1996), Specialized S-works Ti
Chris   Cross Country Rider [Dec 21, 2001]
Strength:

Durable, reliable

No complaints

I have been using this stem for over 6 years and I still think that it is the best value out there. It has out-lasted 3 bars and still clamps reliably. Building a new bike and will pick up another one of these to hold my bars on.

Chris Baker   Racer [Aug 10, 2001]
Strength:

Strong, rigid, long lasting

logo wears off after 10 yrs

I've owned my Yo Eddy for 10 yrs and it has been raced hard during that time. There are several components that have remained on the bike for the duration of 10 hard years without failure and still performing at a high level. This stem (130mm, 5degree rise) has been one of them along with an Easton Taperlite bar. I just bought another Control Tech stem (97 model brand new) for a new Factory limited frame I'm building. GOOD STUFF, don't know what happened to the guy that flamed this stem???

Brian   [May 31, 2000]

This stem rocks!! I ordered the last Mango one from speedgoat.com It doesn't flex but the paint was chipped right below one of the handlebar clamp screws. Mine slid right on my steerer tube without any problem and there was paint in the inside of it. All of ya'll that have problems with this stem must be stupid or really fat. Mine is a 135mm length and works perfectly. 5 chili's for the best stem for the best price!!!!!

Chad Knisely   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 02, 2000]
Strength:

Steel thread inserts, a major plus.
Good welds.
Flex, what flex?
Well made.
Much better quality then anything I have ever tried.

The people who gave this stem less than five stars.

I really like this stem, I notice no flexing at all, yeh I do ride hard. I ride trials once and a while and it has held up just fine to the extra abuse. I think this is a great product and would recomend it to anybody. I bought one for my wifes bike I liked it so much.

Similar Products Used: You name it.
SUPERMEX   Cross-Country Rider [Jul 20, 1999]
Strength:

PRICE

?

IF YOU POSERS ARE BREAKING STEMS, YOU MUST ALL BE WORLD CLASS DOWNHILLERS. SOUNDS TO ME YA'LL NEED TO STEP UP TO THE NEXT LEVEL.
BUY A DIRT BIKE (MOTORCYCLE) THEN LET'S SEE WHAT YA CAN BREAK BESIDES YOUR
EGO'S! LET SEE JOE THE PRODUCT DESIGNER, CAN WE MAKE A STEM THAT WILL BREAK CAUSE THE MARKETING DEPT. SAYS THAT'S WHAT REAL MOUINTAIN BIKERS WANT CAUSE IT MAKES THEM APPEAR AS AWESOME RIDERS. LITIGATION DEPT. SHOULDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM THE NEW CONTOL TECH PASTA STEM.

Pip   [Jul 13, 1997]

I like most of the things others say below about the CT stem. But, and it is a big but for me, the thing doesn't grip my Titec Hellbent handlebar well enough, even with high torque levels on the clamp bolts. I read a writer in Mountain Biker had the same problem with this handlebar, but it's far more important than a stem. So, soon as I find a mail order shop with Titec's new Fathead stem (155 grams, Ti and downhill strong) I'll be putting the Control Tech on a friend's bike.

Jim Cim   cross-country rider [Jul 11, 1997]

I used a 1 threaded version without front suspension from '92-'94 (back in my militant rigid days) and found this to be a very durable and reliable stem. I had no problems with it and would definately recommend it to anyone looking for a quality stem.

Chris   Cross Country Rider [Jan 14, 2000]
Strength:

Light, Cheap, Strong.

The mango paint has faded a bit.

I have wrecked multiple times and no problems. I run them on both of my bikes. I will say it again....Light, Cheap, Strong. What else can I ask for?