Bontrager Stem Stem

Stem

Bontrager Racelite Stem

Sam   Weekend Warrior [Feb 28, 2002]
Strength:

Tough
Good finish

Slight rust (normal for steel here)

This is a review for the old quill style stem. It came off my Bonte Race Mtn bike when I upgraded to threadless and went straight to the cross bike. After a year of Mtn. riding and a couple more of cross/commuting it is going on strong. I've bent a couple sets of bars and the alignment on the stem is still dead on and the stem has only twisted in the streertube once (Not bad for a quill). I sure wish Trek hadn't screwed up Bonte's quality, the new stuff is just too hit and miss.

Similar Products Used: You name it
Paul   Weekend Warrior [Nov 17, 2001]
Strength:

Stiff, clamps bar and fork well enough

manufacturing defect - clamping surfaces not perpendicular.

Here I thought I had bent my bar and finally got around to buying a new one. Got tired of having my stem slightly cocked to the left so my hands were correctly positioned. Turns out it is the stem and not the bar! When squared up the right hand is about 1/2 inch lower than the left. One by one the Bontrager components are coming off the bike because they are inferior. You all can believe what you want... but I'm telling ya the quality just isn't there anymore!

Similar Products Used: KORE 3d
Pablo   Weekend Warrior [May 20, 2006]
Strength:

Very stiff and very light

I have never had a problem with the Bonty stuff and these stems are no exception.. I use a 120mm on my XC softail and it is extremely stiff. I use them with Carbon bars and have never scared or cracked a bar yet.

Similar Products Used: all
Rodney B V   Weekend Warrior [Aug 04, 2001]
Strength:

Stiff. Short (60mm). Bonty quality is obvious. Various lengths allows anyone to improve "fit" of their bike.

None.

Switching to a short stem with minimal rise has given me much more control. I'm positioned further back, so moving off the back of the saddle riding down hills is easier. I no longer feel like I'm leaning forward too much. This is the kind of modification that can make a bike FIT YOU. Tweaking your riding position with a quality Bontrager stem (many sizes to choose from) can make a real difference. And about needing two different size wrenches - SO FREAKIN' WHAT! Anybody can install it - and anyone can improve the fit of their bike with the proper length stem.

Similar Products Used: OEM 100mm stem with higher angle.
James Haddy   cross-country rider [Oct 20, 1997]

I have had the stem for awile now. No problems, good stem.

Andrew   weekend warrior [Jan 19, 1997]

The picture is a little out of date, but the aluminum, clamp-on Race stem is soooo cool. Light, strong and a way cool design, it looks like its' not so much manufactured as grown. A definate five star product

Gaoo   [Jan 16, 2001]
Strength:

elegant black finish, light and strong, no bolts will hurt your knees, Bontrager logos

I can say that using 2 allen key is dull but who are too lazy to put this in a weakness?

it's not complex (it comes with a instruction manual!!), 5mm allen key is for tighting the handlebar, 6mm key is to thight the steerer tube. But it's a kind of "agace". Anyways, the general look is good and a Bontrager product will not break. 7 degree angle is ok, a ) degree would be also good

Similar Products Used: Icon Onyx
2Elk   Cross Country Rider [Nov 16, 2000]
Strength:

-strong
-stiff
-relatively inexpensive
-inconspicuous
-Bonty quality
-does what it's supposed to
-steerer bolts tucked safely away
-tough finish

-different size bolt heads for steerer and face clamps
-a touch on the heavy side
-limited rise options
-inconspicuous
-moves when tightened

What can you really say about a stem? The Bonty does what it was designed to do w/o much fuss. It's sufficiently stiff, light, and cheap.

The only issues I have are when installing, the steerer clamp twists a bit to the right when it's tightened down and you need a 5 AND a 6mm allen to get it all done; why not just use one size??? These issues are really nitpicky and have no bearing on its actual performance.

Overall, it's what you should expect from something w/the Bonty logo stamped on it. Nothing too fancy or light; it just plain works. Bolt it on and fuggetaboutit.

5 chilis for value; it's hard to beat 30 bucks.
4 chilis overall for the mismatched bolts and the fact that it could stand to lose a few grams.

Similar Products Used: -Control Tech
-Answer ATAC
-Tawain Inc.
Dan   Weekend Warrior [Nov 16, 2000]
Strength:

stiff, strong, good finish, bolt location

only offered in 7 deg rise

Great design, no flex, bolts are well placed, not the lightest thing out there but not outrageously heavy, good finish, one quirk that I noticed was that, due to the location of the steer tube clamp bolts, the stem will pull to the right about 2 deg when tightening the steer tube clamp - thus requiring subsequent readjustment - no biggie once you are aware of it and can compensate. I just wish they made other rise options in addition to the 7 deg. Five flamers for doing it's job very well.

Similar Products Used: Kore Elite, Control Tech, Kore 3D forged, Generic forged
shanedawg   Weekend Warrior [Jun 21, 2000]
Strength:

Beautiful, inexpensive.

Can't put it on my bike!

I ran the old quill version for 6 years and had no problems. I recently bought a Z2 to replace my old judy and decided to go threadless at the same time. Only one problem. I wanted to get the new bontrager race AHS model but could not find a 1 in. model anywhere. You would think that you could find a bontrager stem to go on your bontrager bike, but NO. Trek decided to be a bunch of knuckleheads so I had to go with the ritchey comp lite instead. It is also a good stem but doesn't have the same lust factor. Thanks for sticking with us Tom! 4 chilis for the price, 1 stinking chili for not making the 1 in available.