Bontrager Race Mtn Stem

Bontrager Race Mtn Stem

• Forged from 6061-T6 aluminum and has better fatigue characteristics than any threadless stem we've tested
  • Steerer tube binder bolts are mounted forward and on the side to avoid contact with your knees
  • Handlebar clamp is a dual bolt design to make stem changes simple 46mm stack height abd 1 1.8" steerer clamp diameter

• USER REVIEWS

[Jan 24, 2002]
    CHUCK COOK

Strength:

VERY LIGHT-STRONG AND STIFF.LOOK'S GREAT

NONE,THAT I FOUND.

THIS STEM CAN'T BE THAT BAD,IF ROLAND GREEN THE #1 PLATE HOLDER IN THE U.S.A.RUN'S THIS STEM ON HIS TREK.IT HAS HELD UP GREAT VERY STRONG,VERY LIGHT,LOOK'S AWESOME.I GAVE UP MY 120MM FOR A 90MM AND IT IS A LOT BETTER ON MY BACK NOW.GO OUT AND GET THIS STEM.YOU WON'T BE SORRY.....

RACE FACE-CONTROL TECH

[Oct 07, 2002]
    Ed Salazar

Strength:

Tough, Great bolt position, inexpensive, came in 1" to fit my steerer (Keith, why did you stick with the 1" so long? Shocks with 1" steerers are getting tough to find.)

Mine is a pre-Trek stem. I have heard rumors quality has slipped but who can be sure

It fits, it dosen't squeak, in three years of active riding I have done nothing to it but remove the faceplate so I could replace the bars. Install it and forget it, just how components should be. All the other stems I have used have started squeaking or slipping or something after only a few months use, not this one. For the change it has been an oustanding stem.

Many and various

[Sep 14, 2002]
    Steve Eckardt

Strength:

-Very strong/stiff
    -Good steerer clamp bolt placement
    -Oversized bolts
    -Nice finish (silver "satin")

-I have not found any yet

This is easily a $100+ value. The stem has taken 4 years of Sport-level racing/training punishment with absolutely no problems. It is very stiff and does not creak. I like the knee-saving steerer clamp bolt placement, too.

I was seriousely thinking of changing to a different stem, but after considering how well this one has treated me and reading the other reviews, I would be stupid to stop using it. Bontrager has an excellent quality product with this stem. I would recommend it to anyone.

Kalloy - Giant house brand

[Mar 19, 2002]
    Ethan

Strength:

Binder bolts. Looks. No problems yet.

Great stem. My knees love the out-of-the-way binder bolts (not that it doesn't still hurt to smack the stem on eject). The bolts are also a bit bigger (6mm?) than other stems, so you can crank down a little harder on them.

I'm pretty rough on my bike and no squeaks or creaks yet. The bars haven't slipped once. Fairly light. Good looking. Can be found cheap.

A good deal overall.

Some Specialized stem.

[Aug 30, 2002]
    Charlie

Strength:

I love the way it looks even though looks shouldn't count for much. The silver model is very satiny and goes great with my silver anodized frame. The stem is a little over 200 g (I have a 120 mm)just as Bontrager says it is. It is very reasonably priced. There are no welds to break. Everything is cold forged and then bead blasted. The position of the binder bolts is very nice. Very secure because of the oversized bolts (need a 5mm wrench instead of the usual 4 mm). No creaking. The stem seems to be very stiff, though it's hard to measure.

Excellent value and no problems at all. They seem very solid and therefore confidence-inspiring to me. Buy them.

Salsa, Ritchey

[May 26, 2002]
    keefe ward

Strength:

Price,strength,choices

none at this price

Can't go wrong for the price. Weight isn't bad either. Takes an extra minute to setup because knee saver bolts are on the side and pull the stem to the right when you tighten them. I have 2 of them one 90mm and one 120mm. No problems ever.

salsa,trek OEM