Suntour XC Pro Top Mount Shifter Shifter

XC Pro Top Mount Shifter

Suntour XC Pro Top Mount Shifter

xmessenger   Weekend Warrior [Oct 31, 2011]
Strength:

Feel,build quality, weight, obvious reliability.

Not for DH

Love these. Compared to Shimanos, these feel more solid and tight. Not so clunky, not that Shimanos were that bad. These shift better on 8 spd cassette than Shimanos with the extra space for 8, something I was very concerned about when bidding on these. I also have Campy top mounts as an investment/backup. I have never set up the Campy but in feel the Suntour have similar feel/quality although the innards of Campy are definitely superior materials. Both have pronounced indexing but the design edge goes to Suntour with its friction option and lack of break in that the stiff Campy will obviously require. The best Shifter ever made!

Similar Products Used: DX thumbies, Icarus thumbies, xt trigger,GS xray and srt500
tundrabum tommy   Weekend Warrior [Mar 02, 2010]
Strength:

They work 100% of the time, every time without fail!

No longer made. Fell out of favor for the "Ease" of index shifting...

With well over 25,000 miles on different bikes, these shifters have been the constant. Friction shifters shall ALWAYS be superior in every way to indexing. Bend this, break that, at little chain or cable stretch? No problem with friction. They have infinite adjustment. The bottom line: If you know how to shift (or want to learn) go with friction. As I have always said, "You don't see frets on a Stradivarius!"

Similar Products Used: Many shifters, but none that can compare!
Big Daddy Blue   Cross Country Rider [Jun 27, 2003]
Strength:

Nicer than XT thumbies, more positive, more bulletproof, everyone makes fun of you for riding Suntour, youngsters don't even know what they are.

What did you say?
Where do you get them?
Will you sell me yours?

Been riding these bad boys for 10 years. Bought them in Boulder Colorado at the Velo News swap meet off some buffoon what thought RF+ was the best. S'okay though, cause I only give 'im 5 smackers for them. Betcha can't find any RF+ or GS fer 5 bucks and ride them constantly for more than 10 years. Still feel like they did when brand new. Betcher 10 year old RF+ and especially yer GS don't feel like they did when new. Here's a little secret I'll let ya in on - git the 8 speed version if ya can and run em with yer 8 speed XTR cassette and whatever derailleur you choose. You'll never be tempted with 9 speed foolishness agin, I guarantee!!!

Similar Products Used: XT thumbies
Gripshift(yeah, right - gimme something that WORKS!) RF+
jojo   Cross Country Rider [Feb 25, 2002]
Strength:

light, simple, durable, easy to operate

mine are only 7 speed compatible, they don't make them anymore, shifting the front derailleur into high gear is a bit of a thumbstretcher.

Folks, I own two sets of these gems. I've owned them over ten years. Until recently, they had been sidelined in a box. I recently set up a bike with them and couldn't be happier with their performance. They work flawlessly and are so wonderfully simple compared to all the new stuff out there. Not the best choice for high-intensity racing, but for fun rides these are great. I love riding my retro bike set up with these shifters and my old dia-compe ss-5 levers. It may not actually make me ten years younger, but somehow I feel like I've gone back there for at least a little while. It's hard to find them now, but there will always be some chump who thinks they're outdated junk and will be willing to part with them at garage sale prices. Happy hunting!

Similar Products Used: XT thumbshifters (much clunkier and slower shifting), Gripshift 600
Peter Obleg   Cross Country Rider [Feb 14, 2003]
Strength:

Simple, durable, precise shifting, as light as a feather, look great :] Perfect for those who need low-weight quality shifters. I have owned them for over 1 year and their performance is flawless

I love those shifters. Light, precise, durable and simple. In conjunction with XTR derailleurs they form an ultimate shifting weapon ;)

Similar Products Used: Old shimano deore and XT (topmounts), various rapid fire, sti and gripshift
Steve   Cross Country Rider [Jan 05, 2002]
Strength:

Shifting

Hard to find

They work better than anything else made to move a derailleur. And, they keep working.

Similar Products Used: Everything
jonathan   [Dec 29, 2001]
Strength:

It's all been said before...
But, they ARE indestructible, super light, and more durable than any other shifter ever made. XT top mounts don't even compare!

That would be that they're not made anymore.
(can also be a strength if you're lucky enough to have them; they're rare and half the new riders have never seen 'em before)

I never ever want to have to deal with front chainring indexing. If you ride technical trail, your ring are not always going to be true.
I love these, I'm just bummed that I stupidly stripped the threads on my main pair, had to cannibalize the older ones till I can put a helicoil in :)
Even the really old ones work great! Pair these with a smooth rear mech and 8 speeds and you'll be very happy. Never any hesitation or missed shifts. No need for sill Optical Gear Displays!

Similar Products Used: gripshift, rapidfire, rapidfire plus, shimano top mounts
Marco   Cross Country Rider [Sep 16, 2006]
Strength:

Smooth, consistant shifting. Option to use friction shifting.

Haven't been sold for over a decade.

BEST SHIFTERS EVER MADE!!!!
Front deraillier shifts perfectly every time.

Rear derailler is a different story. These shifters are spaced for SunTour cassette (top cogs are wider spaced and bottom cogs are more narrow spaced). Shimano cassettes have even spacing.

SUNTOUR SHIFTERS WILL NEVER SHIFT PERFECTLY WITH SHIMANO CASSETTE. That being said, they do shift alright. You can set them up so the top (or lower ratio) gears shift well, but the 8th cog doesn't always hit. Or run a 7-speed cassette; first 6 cogs will shift fine but you may need the extra click (i.e. 8th) to get into the 7th cog.

Unfortunately, I will resort to a pair of Shimano 8-speed bar end shifters transplanted into the suntour body housing (should work like Paul's Thumbies).

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore XT top-mount shifters.
Andrew   Cross Country Rider [Aug 02, 2001]
Strength:

Bombproof - indestructable

none! are you kidding?

Please please please somebody start making these again! I got 'lucky' and found a pair of these brand new, but probably overpaid for them -- actually no - it was really worth it. Too bad there are riders out there that will never experience anything but indexed shifting. I swear there is nothing better than a very high quality friction shifter -- accurate shifts - easy adjustment (if it ever needs it), 7, 8 and 9 speed compatable (no buying new shifers every time you upgrade) - these things just rule.

Similar Products Used: grip shift, rapid failure, deore top mounts
g   Cross Country Rider [May 20, 2000]
Strength:

Bombproof. When nuclear war hits, all that'll be left will be cockroaches and these shifters.

No longer made.

These shifters are the best pieces of bike equipment I own. I will never get rid of them, and in the odd chance that they break, I'll bronze them like baby shoes and display them in my living room.

It's all been said before in the other reviews, but these are simply the best shifters I've ever ridden. My first bike was a Kona with Deore DX's, and one too many crashes rolled the stamped steel lip too far. I replaced it with the only XC I could find for the front, and now the rear is shifted by a Sachs- and while that's a decent shifter, it's nowhere near as precise or easy to shift as the Suntours.

May the pair (or three) I have live forever, or please let someone start fabbing some more...