SRAM X9 Shifter

X9

The X.9 trigger shifters from SRAM represents a new step in trigger shifting technology.

Kratos   Cross Country Rider [Dec 07, 2012]
Strength:

quick, precise, reliable, ergonomic, good quality materials, bling effect, lightweight, it's SRAM

This is so perfect, there is no any weakness, it's so precise, much better than any Shimano I've tried, it's so quick and responsive, everything best about SRAM!!!! :D

Similar Products Used: Shimano
caranx   All Mountain Rider [Mar 03, 2012]
Strength:

works when it isn't broken

the handle bar mounts are made of wafer thin metal. The are at least as strong as a toothpick. Broke on a very mild crash at low speed.

These things have fatal design flaws and will be a massive pain in your butt, leaving you stranded in the wilderness with no shifting ability when they break after the tiniest crash. In comparison to handlebar mounts for any other product I'e seen, these are obviously silly.

Similar Products Used: shimano
ekoy   Cross Country Rider [Sep 17, 2011]
Strength:

Price, Lightning fast 1:1 ratio accurate shifting, light weight, micro adjust for front derailleur best for my 2x9 set up..

slippery? the rubber grip if worn hard to find replacement anymore..

the best twist shifter available for unmatched price and performance (if youre an avid fan of twist shifter like me).. only 4 chilis for value rating cause no repalcement for worn rubber grip issues..

Similar Products Used: 2:1 sram attack for shimamo derailleur
freshandfly101   Weekend Warrior [Jul 22, 2011]
Strength:

(2010 3x9) GREAT derailleur, its a clone of x0, without all of the carbon bling, making it more durable, stronger, and in my opinion, sexier. I just went treerooting on these babies and they rock, the chain stays in place, the derailleur's not flying everywhere, with only one mis-shift. with the x9 shifters, they work like butter and always shift BEFORE you let go of the lever

had a mis-shift or two, loses the buttery-ness in gear 9, but thats normal, so no sweat

GO BUY THEM, to avoid all of the problems that are stated in other reviews, dont install it yourself, even if you know how to do it. Have your reputable LBS, and you'll be satisfied. I use from xc--dh, so have fun

Similar Products Used: x7, x5, x4, x3, acera, alivio, deore, xt, xx, x0, xtr
yeahdog31   Cross Country Rider [Feb 13, 2011]
Strength:

Build quality, looks, performance.

None, other than perhaps price if you pay retail. Probably worth it, though.

I came to this product from OEM X.5. I was always hesitant to upgrade because, frankly, X.9 stuff is quite a bit more expensive than the rest and I couldn't imagine it would be THAT much better in performance. The X.5 stuff was always very adequate.
HOWEVER, when I came across the great deal on X.9 shifters and rear derailleur, what a difference it makes! It is a tiny bit lighter, which is always nice, and the build quality is noticeably better. But the biggest difference is indeed in shifting performance. Shifts are so smooth and immediate that I sometimes don't even feel the gear change at all after I pull the trigger. Just a quick shift, just the way it should be.
Installation and adjustments are straightforward and simple.
We'll see how they hold up, but so far so good. And SRAM definitely has a reputation for longevity. Definitely a great upgrade if you enjoy quick, effortless shifts.

Similar Products Used: X.5, Shimano
lmbiker   Cross Country Rider [Nov 20, 2010]
Strength:

This is for the SRAM X9 Triggers:
Functional, shifts OK (if you can figure out the shifting)

The shift engineering here stinks. It is all thumbs (literally) and NOT intuitive whatsoever.

The SRAMs shift OK (more the derailleur than the shifters), but the system is NOT intuitive and you have to think about which direction you are shifting every single time which leads to constant mis-shifts. SRAM X9 Triggers are junk!

Go Shimano Triggers all the way. Shimano's index/thumb combo shifting is so intuitive you don't even have to think when shifting - which is the way it should be mountain biking on techy trails.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX, XT, XTR
fgrcl   Weekend Warrior [Feb 26, 2010]
Strength:

X9 Twister - Fast shifting up and down, precise gear indicator, micro adjust for the front deraileur, very lightweight.

It's hard to brake and shift at the same time, comes only in gray.

I was ready to buy an upgrade to go from Alivio to Deore LX when I got onto a 100 km (62 mi) endurance race in a very dirty place where no rain had been seen in months. After a couple hours my rearderaileur went on strike because dirt almost locked the cable inside the housing. When I got to the finish line I was already decided: SRAM.

I read a few reviews and decided to get the X9 twister. When I first rode it I noticed the weight difference. Actually, the whole handlebar feels much lighter now. And on the trails, it rocks. I can keep the gear until the very last moment. 5 gears down? Here they come. 3 gears up? Here you are. Chain is making noise in the front deraileur? Click and shut up. That simple.

If you have an open mind, you should give the twisters a try. And if you need too much maintenance to keep your rear deraileur working fine, you should give SRAM a try.

Similar Products Used: Shimano RapidFire (Alivio)
laytonkor   Weekend Warrior [Oct 20, 2009]
Strength:

Works reasonably if you never take it apart.

Explodes if you take it apart wrong

For x-9 trigger shifter:
I had this shifter for about two weeks when I needed to remove the cable to repair a dented cable housing. The manual they sent me was for an X.0, so I got confused and took off the bottom shifter housing instead of the top one (my bad). Before I even had a chance to remove the housing piece, something went pop. I instantly put it back together (no pieces lost), but it would not work right. I took it into my local bike shop and they could not figure out how to rebuild it (or for that matter what was wrong with it), and Sram was useless in giving them any help on how to do so. Their warranty policy was: you did it wrong so tough. Buy a new one. Essentially, if you take this lower part off, or even partially off, it ruins the shifter. Why is there no warning sticker? Why are there even screws in this piece? So I had to buy another one. I have had so many problems with Sram components,I am giving them the minimum chilis soley for their pathetic customer service and worthless warranty department.

spaaarky21   Weekend Warrior [Oct 04, 2009]
Strength:

- Super crisp, fast, consistent shifts! I can't stress this enough!
- Unlike the XT's they replaced, they don't struggle to climb a gear and they don't hesitate to drop a gear. They never fail to shift and they don't try to shift on their own at inopportune times. The X.9's are just all around great shifters.
- Can downshift 5 sprockets at a time, as opposed to 3 or Shimano Deores or 4 on Deore XT's.
- To release cable, you push a lever instead of pulling it like a trigger. That took some getting used to but I really like it. I can keep a much better grip on my handlebars that way.
- Installation was quicker and easier than I expected.
- They haven't really needed any adjustments since I installed them months ago.

The X.9's and X.0's don't have indicators to show you what gear you are in. Not having the indicators saves weight but I'm not that competitive. If I wanted to take 20 grams off of a bike, I would take it off the rider. :-)

If you want the indicators, you'll want X.7's or lower. The indicators on the X.7's are pretty neat.

I have the 2008 model X.9 trigger shifters (not the Grip Shift ones pictured.)

I replaced a set of Shimano XT's with these Sram X.9's and it was one of the best things I could have done. I always had Shimano's and just thought finicky was the "nature of the beast." It wasn't until I got a bike with XT's (the less weight-saving version of Shimano's flagship XT-R components) that I realized that shifting should be better than that. I truly had no idea shifting could be so good. If you have Shimano's and are thinking about buying Srams, do it! Do it now! Even if you replace high-end Shimanos with mid-grade Srams, it will be a step up in performance.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore (now rebranded as part of the LX line I think) and Deore XT.
jimfwilson   Cross Country Rider [Sep 06, 2009]
Strength:

When it's working, nothing is better

When it quits, you get to spend more money.

These were so good for the first 9 months. Then, one wet weekend trip to the French Alps, and suddenly the right shifter started hanging up on downshifts. Lube helped for a couple rides, then nothing worked. I found a link on RideMonkey for disassembly/assembly and carefully took it apart, meticulously cleaned and lubed it, but it will not work like it ought to. The top and bottom bolts thread together and when the large lever is actuated, it causes the bolts to tighten to the point where it will not return with the normal spring pressure. I tried loctite on the bolt threads, but no luck. The bushing sleeve on the bottom bolt also appears to siezing up and no lubricant I have tried makes it much better. I used the same twist shifters for 9 years and never had these issues--never missed a shift. I'm very disappointed in this product's short life span.