SRAM X.5 Trigger Shifter

X.5 Trigger

SRAM X5 10-Speed Trigger Shifter Set. Available in double (2x10) and triple (3x10) configurations, X5 Shifters use EXACT ACTUATION for precise and dependable 10-speed performance.

ems   Cross Country Rider [Sep 07, 2016]
Strength:

Look, feel. Out of the box they worked great

They will eventually fail, something inside breaks and is most likely not replaceable so you end up having to buy a new one.

Rode with these for a year and a half and something inside the shifter broke... my triggers would stick. I took it apart and it was a mess. It seemed to me that the overall construction of the internals wasn't the best. I would like to take apart a x.9 and compare. Honestly for the cost, I would have liked to see them last a little longer but it didn't happen. I probably won't ever buy another set of x.5's, this was more of a test to see how low i could go where i was happy. But now it seems like I'll never go below x.7's, but prefer x.9's or higher or maybe look at Shimano.

Jayem   Racer [Feb 27, 2015]
Strength:

Big paddles are nice for winter with gloves/mittens/through pogies.

Mechanism fails (internals).

Failed just like my X7 on the other bike. Never had shimano's give up after a few months or a year. These aren't the same quality unfortunately.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
mik   [Oct 26, 2012]
Strength:

they work - if you have big hands or you are double jointed

a pain to use

These shifters are the worse ergonomically designed i have had to use. they were on the bike i bought and taken off after one ride of two hours. the problem is that the big paddle closest to you, is to far away from your thumb, in fact your thumb is in front of it; and as the paddle is to big anyway you have to reach back around it to push it forwards. you also have to reach under the bars to push the front paddle forwards to shift up a gear. which if you set the rear up so you can get to it, then the front is to far away.
but what is really bad is this - if the paddles were the other way around, big at the front and smaller one at the back you could get to both of them perfectly- Now, how did they manage that?

chaz123   Downhiller [Feb 22, 2011]
Strength:

reliable and strong(i know i crashed it in to a tree)quick

dirt can effect perfomance

sram x5 shifters are realiable and strong and are good shifters for any downhill rider
a well worth buy which will get you to your destination in half the time

Similar Products Used: none
kjbbb   Weekend Warrior [Oct 24, 2010]

broke after 50 miles

I had this shifter come default on my bike. Unfortunately, the rear shifter started slipping and felt like it wouldn't catch the cable. I had to be very gentle with shifting into a higher gear or it would just slip and not shift. Now, I am not particularly hard on them either. I have 6 year old Shimano Deore LX shifters which still work as well as the day I got them. These broke after 50 miles... Unacceptable.

I bought the x9 as soon as I bought the bike and was just too lazy to put them on. But good thing I bought them because the x5 broke. However, it is still unfortunate that they broke because I was going to give them to someone.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Deore, x0, x9
Mountain_Rocker   Weekend Warrior [Jun 28, 2009]
Strength:

nice looking, bang for the buck although it came with my built bike

hard on thumb fingers.. after an hour ride my thumb starts to feel some pain. Specially when i did rolling climbs.

go for the X-0 Twister instead coz that's what I'm gonna do!

joshwalee   Racer [Dec 30, 2008]
Strength:

Dual thumb controls for single finger operation, quick response, well located and visible displays.

None, unless you prefer index triggers.

I have 2 bikes and run Sram drivetrains on both. My Mongoose Teocali came with X.5 shifters and rear derailleur. My other bike (K2 Lithium) runs an X.7 drivetrain. The X.7 products simply have some machined alloy parts in place of composites found on the X.5. Besides appearance, I would have to say the X.5 does the same great job that the X.7 performs.
The shifts are quick and accurate! It does it's job great for a product you can find at half the price of an LX. It has a bit of a large size, but the performance and price make up the difference. 5 flamin' hot chilis for an excellent product line. I highly prefer Sram to Shimano.