SRAM TRX Trigger Shifter

• Speed: 8 or 7
  • Material: Composite, alloy

[Feb 28, 2007]
neil

Strength:

Shifts very well and precise

Breaks easily. One of the teeth on the shifting mech has snapped so Fourth gear sometimes skips.

Do not change gears if the bike is upside down because they jump and skip. I have taken the shifters to bits and one of the plastic teeth on the shifting mech has broken off so fourth gear now sometimes skips. They do shift very well when working correctly though. Also doesn't seem to like very muddy conditions aswell. DOn't buy if you do lots of muddy winter riding otherwise you get a lovely grinding noise from inside the shifter.

[Mar 29, 2008]
Barry Leigh

I misspoke earlier. The TRX trigger shifters ARE made of metal. I still like 'em and recommend them as a replacement component for older bikes or even new 7-Speeds.

[Apr 03, 2008]
Cosmin

Strength:

None that I could see. Sram should stop building those and rethink their low end line. For the same money you could buy Alivio's and those will hold you for at least two seasons.

They came on my Ram Ht 1(www.ram-bikes.com). The bike itself for a 400-450 $ bike is well worth the money. You get a complete Sram, Truvativ package with a nice frame and Mavic wheels. But the shifters are horrible, they feel realy weak and the shifting is not confidence inspiring. I broke the left pod after a week of riding (true, it was a nasty crash). Also the riht pod died on me pretty soon after that, I took it to my LBS and when the mechanic opened it I saw that it was all Plastic inside. I had to get Sram X-7 which costed me an arm and a leg but those work great.

I woldn't buy this shifters as an aftermarket, I would rather get a decent low end twister from Sram (they are the best). If they come with your bike maybe you will have better luck with them. If you see them on a bike that is otherwise well equiped and in your budget please take in consideration that you might have to change them.

Shimano Alivio, Deore, Sram X-7, Deore Lx Triggers. Older Sram 6 twist shifters and Shimano Revoshift.

[Dec 06, 2007]
Barry Leigh

Strength:

Interesting design. Stands out from the crowd. Design allows for ample clearance between the shifter and the brake lever.

None so far, but since it's plastic and is subject to pressure, it will wear out faster than metal, I guess.

I am so glad I replaced the stock MRX Twist shifters. They were always indavertently shifting because I have big hands that tended to slide onto or grip the MRX shifters when I didn't intend to shift.

The TRX triggers are great. The LBS installed them for me and its been smooth and rapid shifting ever since. And now I have lots more real estate on my handlebar, so I added the long grips to replace the shorties that came with the bike. The numerical display is great for a geezer like myself. I'd never go back to twist shifters again!!! Incidentally, the molded plastic triggers seem sturdy and durable. Time will tell.

SRAM MRX Twist shifters