SRAM SX4 Trigger Shifter

SX4 Trigger

• Speeds: 8 or 7
  • Compatibility: 1:1 rear derailleurs

David C   Downhiller [Jul 02, 2011]
Strength:

Low cost, 7-8 speed compatibles, good gear indicator.

Slack trigger (does not mind)

Good for the price, (lot of them on eBay!), still available for 7-8 speed and still have a nice gear indicator. If you need a shifter for 8 speeds 1:1 r/derailleur, don't look further. X-4 is the updated version that include zero loss travel, so no slack trigger, but the indicator is not as easy to read. Get them even for DH. Best value/price ratio ever out there for $20/set.

strakalas   Cross Country Rider [Jul 07, 2010]
Strength:

good upshifitng
good gear indication

incorrect from towards lower gear.
the plastic cog-wheel broke completely.
long travel, pretty hard to shift.

if you do shift frequently, go for better gear.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Alivio. [just works]
Shimano Deore. [rhymes well with adore]
Crby101   Racer [Apr 19, 2010]
Strength:

really quick down-shift handy for long trails

slow up shift

good shifters for someone who rides moderate trails.

Similar Products Used: shimano twist-shift
jay   Weekend Warrior [Apr 23, 2009]

The unit was on the bike when I bought it new. It never shifted right from the start. I went for one casual mild ride and the internals failed 1 mile out when up-shifting. It is the second Sram set up I have had on a bike and the last time I had simmilar results.

westcoastdl   Weekend Warrior [Mar 31, 2009]
Strength:

Cheap?

Weak, plastic

This little gem broke within the first few weeks of me having my new bike. Took her apart and their was nothing but broken mangled plastic. If you need new shifters spend a bit more money and get something better... I know I will.

Similar Products Used: Shamino
sam vilneff   Weekend Warrior [Jul 26, 2007]
Strength:

very strong and easy downshift.

harder upshift.

I am very satisfied with the trigger shifters and I recomend them to anyone who is getting a new bike. they are evey bit worth it.

Gabe Czarnecki   [May 03, 2007]
Strength:

Ummm, fun to shift?

Broke within first two weeks of use.

These shifters came with my bike and broke within the first two weeks of use just commuting to and from work. The shop where I purchased my bike set me up with some SRAM X7s and I haven't had one problem in a year of daily riding.

Similar Products Used: SRAM X7, Shimano LX
Spencer Stagg   Cross Country Rider [Nov 07, 2006]
Strength:

I love the way they shift

seem flimsy, heavy, cheap, hard to tune, no 9 speed, and they did break on me once

While they do have their weeknesses, and I couldn't wait to get rid of them in the begining, they have really grown on me. I can shift through all 8 gears up or down in about 1.5 seconds, whithout hardly a thought provided I let up a little on the pedal (new cassete would probably fix that), and I like them more than sram's higher quality thumb only triggers. I just wish sram made a higher quality lighter pair of these in 9 speed. Oh and i have no idea what broke on my right shifter, just took me 2 hours to take it apart, put it back together, and get it working again

Similar Products Used: sram x7 triggers
Piers Morton   Weekend Warrior [Nov 30, 2007]

Not strong enough, plastic gear

They left shifter broke after my 5th ride of my TREK. I pulled it apart and a large plastic gear that pulls the cable has broken in half. It happened on a bike path with a slight incline. ???? My previous bike was a GIANT RINCON (2 years) and I never had a problem. I'm a bit disappointed so far with the TREK drivegear. My bike keeps jumping gears.

Dave   Weekend Warrior [Oct 22, 2006]
Strength:

Fairly smooth shifts when tuned right and working properly. Good value for the money, however, mine came stock with the new bike.

I have had to take the bike back to the shop twice just for rear shifting hassles. I only ride on the weekends for the time being, so I would bet that a more avid rider would have upgraded by now. I am going to replace them soon.

You get what you pay for. If you want more, you need to spend more. These shifters will work fine for the weekend rider who does not ride too hard or abusively.