SRAM 2002 9.0 Shorty Shifter

SRAM 2002 9.0 Shorty Shifter

• ESP 1:1 Actuation Ratio technology: light, precise shifting
  • SRAM patented "SRS" technology: speed release spool detent shifting, enhanced mechanical feel, light precision indexing
  • 8- and 9-speed
  • Shorty" grip length:" 50mm standard length grip cover, ergonomic hex profile shifting cover
  • Quick view mechanical gear indicator
  • Tethered "Never Lose" cable replacement port: easy cable change
  • Detailed specifications: 8- and 9-speed ESP compatible, stainless steel 1.1mm cable, Grilon® composite construction, Index and Micro-adjust front shifter options

• USER REVIEWS

[May 11, 2011]
    Bob Fairlane

Strength:

Looks good, durable, works with Sram 1:1 derailleur and about any Shimano type front derailleur

I don't like them when they get sweaty, I lose my grip sometimes. I don't like the shape of the twist shifters. They are annoying to use unless you have long bars so you can use full length grips next to the shifter knobs.

If you are a die-hard SRAM twister fan, buy these. If not, get some Sunrace or Shimano trigger shifters and a shimano compatible rear derailleur.

SRAM lower tier products, Shimano trigger shifters, Shimano Revo shifter

[Dec 08, 2001]
    See Linda

Strength:

ergonomic, light weight, extremely smooth shifting, very responsive, cheaper than XTR,

SRAM RD 9.0 heavier than XTR.

I have never regreted the day when i upgraded to SRAM 9.0 shifters from Attack. I have used it for 8 months now and unlike Sram Attack and XTR, I have not experience a single gear skipping. The 1:1 ratio Shifting is so precise and accurate even with a fair bit of mud condemnation on your RD.

Extremely good if you love doing trails with blind and unexpected corners.

XTR 8 speed rapid shifter, SRAM Attack 8 speed before upgrading to SRAM 9.0 (9 speed)

[Feb 28, 2002]
    STP

Strength:

Light precise action. Easy to rip a shift in either direction.

One click, one gear. Those who claim that downshifting without pedalling using the Rapid-Fires are only missing out on getting the exact gear at the exact time. The ability to crest a hill and grab five gears in half a second is way superior to pushing the little shift button five times. Secondly, you keep your strongest digit, your thumb wrapped around the bar at all times, which means better control of your bike. Going up hills with velocity, you can downshift precisely at the max power effort you're putting out. Clean, precise shifting without a thought.

SRAM Rocket, 8.0, 7.0

[Oct 29, 2001]
    Ryan Wintersteen

Strength:

Easy to set up. shift buttery smooth. Feel good. SRAM is coming up in the world.

None....

Buy these shifters if you want easy maintainence, quick installation, and TRUE shifting.... SRAM has really proved themselves... If Antbody has a fork with a 1" steer tube threaded or threadless, E-mail me at ravensdaleboy@hotmail.com

LX, 1998 5.0 grip (suck). XTR on my DH bike.....

[Jan 12, 2002]
    Eric

Strength:

Shifts smoothly and precisly, need no maintence. cheaper than shimano stuff of the "same quality"

hard to shift when wet if you don't remember your gloves.

This shifters are excellent, I had a pair of LX rapid fire before and altough they were basically precise, the levers gradually became hard and harder to push. I upgraded to sram stuff when i obliterated my rear deriallur and i have to say they are much better. Buy them. Just don't forget your gloves if its raining real hard and muddy, if your racing, twisting the shifter when its slick is more challenging than it needs to be in a race. but if you wear gloves this doesn't happen. oh and they shifters need way less care than any shimano stuff i've seen.

XTR and LX Rapid fire, cheap grip shift

[Jan 01, 2002]
    Rick X

Strength:

Flawless shifting under all conditions.

Just after I finished building my dream XC bike with full XTR components I had a bad crash and tore 2 of my ligaments in my right thumb. I couldn't put any downward pressure on my thumb and I had no alternative but to switch to SRAM grip shift in order to do any riding at all, as I didn't have any trouble using twist shifters.

I chose the 9.0 shorty shifters over the Half-pipes and use a 9.0 SL rear derailleur. If you are riding any technical trails you won't regret using the shorty's as they are just as easy to use and the shorter length helps avoid unintentional shifts.

After having just come from the XTR front & rear thumb shifters I noticed that the SRAM's were much smoother shifting right from the start. The short time I used the XTR's I found them to be finicky, noisy and in need of constant adjustment. If you tried to shift with tension on the chain you were asking for trouble. Also the XTR didn't work as well when loaded down with mud. I was pretty disappointed because I had been using XT for years without any problems and thought that XTR would offer superior performance. XT works much better under adverse conditions especially in mud.

In short the SRAM works smoothly, predictably and quietly under all conditions. I haven't had a single shifting problem even when everything is caked with mud. The SRAM's inspire confidence when riding on difficult single-track sections. If the 9.0 SL shorty shifters had been available when I switched I probably would have upgraded to those but the 9.0's are excellent.

I like my XTR cranks but would probably switch to an SRAM front derailleur in the future. I can't see myself going back to Shimano shifters & derailleurs as the SRAM's have been one of the best upgrades I've ever made!

XTR & XT

[Aug 12, 2002]
    Matt

Strength:

lightweight, unobtrusive grip means no accidental shifts, durable, quick and precise shifting.

none to think of...

When it came time to build my bike I was a little hesitant to try the gripshift over the proven rapid-fires. I went out on a limb with Sram and I absolutely have not regretted it. I enjoy not having to move my fingers around to shift gears. One thing I was afraid would happen was accidentally shifting (which is why I got the shorty shifters). I can only think of one occasion when I accidentally shifted so I am definitely impressed with the quality of these shifters. One caveat: I have heard the Sram half pipes have a greater tendency to shift themselves.
    Are these better than Shimano? I think they are on par with XT level rapid-fires but shift more quickly and weigh less. You make the decision.

[May 02, 2004]
    Derek Egunam

Strength:

Good Shifting, nice look, easy to get on and off

cleaning becomes tiring after muddy rides. And When youre in highest gears it takes a few seconds to change

Great shifters, the best i've ever tried and looks great and if you dirt jump make sure your chain is tight just incase the chain skips on you. Great for jumping and North SHore!

Shimano Acera, Shimano Alivio, Shimano SIS

[Feb 05, 2003]
    BRUNO

Strength:

Simple and sensible. Ergonomically superior to (Shimano)thumbshifters, i.e., a clean, uncluttered sweep across the handlebar, no jagged pods hanging down. Gripshift twisting action just plain makes sense, while being precise and fast. I have had NO accidental mis-shifts. One easy twist will get you across any number of gears from 1st all the way to 9th, if you need. Lightweight. Excellent tactility.

Hey, SRAM, why aren't these wonderful shifters spec'd on more highend bikes? They are certainly worthy.

Terrific! It's not that Shimano doesn't make good components. But, the SRAM operation is faster, quieter, more amenable to the natural movements of the hand. Most important to me is that I can instantly change across a band of 1 to 9 gears with one twist. You can't do that with Shimano. Highly recommended.

Everything Shimano (but not now that I've ridden the clearly better Sram), and old Suntour.

[Oct 06, 2002]
    E R

Strength:

Crisp, precise shifting, durable, trouble free.

These are great shifters. They simply work, trouble free.

My only wish would be a narrower profile with a smaller gear window to get another 1/4" of handlebar space back.

SRAM Centerra half pipes.