SRAM 2001 DualDrive Shifter

SRAM 2001 DualDrive Shifter

DualDrive caters to the specific shifting needs of a comfort rider while presenting the market’s most revolutionary transmission system. Single-sided shifting allows riders to use one hand to easily click through a 24- or 27-gear option. By eliminating the front derailleur, allowing the rider to shift at all times (even when stationary), and including load-shiftable servo technology, DualDrive redefines the concept of bicycle transmission systems.

[Aug 06, 2017]
Los Marauder

Strength:

Smooth, ergonomic, solid, plays well next to Altec brake levers.

Hard to find

So I have a Sram 3x8 drive train, and wanted best shifters I could find. X9 level 3x8 is rare for 3 speed shifter, and only available for the 8 speed shifter in Dual Drive label. This truely is a x9 level shifter. I don't know why Sram did not also release these labeled x9 also. I figure 3x8 was on Its way to extinction, and not worth promoting it. Its hard to find the lesser x7 - 8 speed shifter which I have, but this is true is better.Also have the x4 level, which work ok for the price

Sram x7, x4, 3x8 shifters

[Apr 27, 2011]
rifraf

Strength:

Low maintenence and longevity (mines been going for 15 years and I've worn out two sets of clusters and a few chains but thats it)

I've been told parts are hard to get (I've never needed any) and weight weenies wont like the weight.

Mines the original 3x7 version of these. My bike has toured in UK, Ireland, NZ and Australia. Its been used as a daily commuter also for many years. The hub has never missed a beat. I recently got the hub a service and the feedback from the shop was it'll be good for years yet and needed no parts replacing. I'm currently considering upgrading to a new bike which has the newer 3x9 and the last thing worrying me is the rear hub (Moulton TSR27)

None (its my first internally geared hub)

[Jun 09, 2010]
w.bruijn

Strength:

good shiften

Very high tension and resistands

the dual drive 3x9 works to heavy and the resistands ar very hight.
Il think to remove him and replace it for a single 9 speed

[Dec 29, 2009]
Robert Jarrett

Strength:

The best thing is you can go from High to Low range at a stop. This helps alot but if you are above the 5th cog on the cassette you will still have a small issue when starting out. Stock form only had top ratio of 3.74:1, have replaced the 33T sprocket with Shimano 46t Biopace sprocket. The 7 sprocket hub, can accomodate an 8 Sprocket cassette. Do some measuring before you try this and 9 sprocket cassettes have narrower sprockets. I set mine up with 32, 26, 20, 17, 16, 15, 14, 13T sprockets, overall top gear is about 5:1. A 9 sprocket cassette has a superior range but it will cost $60 to adapt this hub with a cassette holder that will accomadate it. Also have 48T and 50T biopace sprockets to try.

Bought bike as comfort bike, but at only 61 years old, too slow, many modifications to help get lower on handle bars and also helped reduce weight of stock Raleigh parts. Also you can shift this under load, but I do not recommend this as the hub will make some unwanted crunching noises that can't be good. True there is no support on this side of the pond, but you may find success in England to find parts online.

The Sram Dual Drive is great and may not be tough enough in the long range, looking forward to getting 9 speed cassette on the bike, and also a triple sprocket up front, maybe only a double as low gear is lower than I want to pedal, When a teen in high school had 26" schwinn with SA 3 speed hub, friend and I would visit girls at night and pedal each other up the 17 degree hill stuck in high gear.

Sturmy Archer 3/4/5 speed hubs as a kid

[Mar 14, 2007]
Tom

Strength:

I needed to get my trike gear-inches down for steep hills. The trike has a 26" rear wheel with 34T rear and 26T Biopace chainring. That's 19 gear-inches. Adding the DualDrive gave me 14 gear-inches. The trike now climbs like a banshee... And my top gear? (52x11 +DualDrive) and insane 160 gear-inches at top end (think long decent!)

Reports have stated that these things can 'blow up' and leave you stranded. Some reports on tandem tours where the DualDrive gave up are reported in blogs/forums. SRAM specifically states DualDrives are not Tandem approved. It does give me concern although for touring, I will need the low gearing for hills when pushing a trike. Don't expect anyone to help you get replacement parts from SRAM in the USA. It will be a futile quest. Even if your warrantee covers it, you still need to lace and true the wheel to the replacement hub.

For the deal I got on this unit, it was a no brainer to give it a shot. peripheral parts are easy to get and relatively cheap. As for performance, you hardly notice the drive is there. There is a bit of clicking and whiring depending on what gear you're in but it all adds to the rythm of the ride. With ratio's of .73/1, 1/1, and 1.36/1, you can easily replace your front chainrings or just enjoy the massive gear range of your new setup. If you can get a good deal on an NOS hub already laced to a wheel (3x9), go for it. You'll be in awe of what this thing can do for your riding pleasure. Lightweight and relatively unchanged in 6 years, it is a nice gear system. Available for 32 and 36 hole rims.

3 speed kick-back hubs as a kid.

[Aug 03, 2002]
Alex Weinrich

Strength:

Excellent shifting, smooth function, stable and practical,
works even when the bike is stopped, It's very stylish and light weight.

NONE

I believe it's a wonderful revolutionary products that is a huge step toward refining the bicycle transmission systems in the world. It's very practical, functional and for it's capability light weight enough.
German craftsmanship with stylish up dated style.

Very enjoyable and easy to use for everybody...
Great!

Shimano, Suntour, other Sram products

[Jul 23, 2002]
Rick McAllister

Strength:

Very smoooth shifting. You should shift into climbing range easily even when under load

No guard is made for this. One could be made that would fit onto a rear carrying rack, and my boatbuilder buddy is going to try to help me do this.

I ordered the Bike Friday last year and I am very pleased with the operation of the SRAM Dual drive. I am thinking about adding the Dual Drive to the Paragon. Cross-chaining would is not an issue with one of these, and you can shift to the climbing gear any time-even under load. The lack of a protecttive guard for the Plastic Dual Drive Hub Control and the little axel inside it make it a potential problem for the Bike Friday when it is being carried in the bag. For a Mountain bike, which is laid over from time to time, the lack of a guard would be a much more serious defect. We are going to try to jury-rig somthing for the Bike Friday, and if it is successful, I may convert the Paragon. I would give this a 5 overall rating if we can make a workable guard. Without one, I would not even consider it for a Mountain Bike. I do not understand why SRAM does not make a Guard.