SRAM 2000 Rocket Shifter

2000 Rocket

• 9 speed compatible (DI.R.T. / Shimano)
  • 80 mm gripping length (front and rear)
  • Tethered cable hatch
  • Teflon coated cable
  • Grilon composite construction
  • index and micro-adjust front shifter option

• User Reviews (18)

Aaron   Weekend Warrior [Jun 01, 2007]
    Strength:

Light touch, thumb shifting

Plastic seems a little flimsy (but has held up fine)

I love these; prefer the thumb-only shifting to the typical RF setup. Very light touch and shifting is very precise. It doesn't feel quite as solid as the XTR RF's, but I have had zero problems and they have taken a few knocks without mishap.

Similar Products Used: XTR, XT
    johnbuck   Cross Country Rider [Mar 22, 2001]

The Shorty's a little short on "short."

Older Grip Shift users beware: The shifter body on the Shorty is almost a cm wider than on the old 2.0's. That puts an extra cm of shifter sleeve in your hand.

The tethered cable change port is nice, but the Shorty is bulky in other dimensions as well as the body width. And it looks like a space helmet. I wish they could have made the cable changing easier without adding the stupid moving optical gear display and the bulk that comes with it.

For now, I'll stick with the 2.0's, and just always make sure to leave enough room between the brake and the handlebar bulge so that the brake lever can be moved inward enough to allow a cable change (without having to instead take the bar-end off and move the handgrip outward).

SRAM acknowledges that they had to put the optical gear display on there 'cause even XTR has it. Too bad.

Damon Ladson   Weekend Warrior [Mar 04, 2001]
    Strength:

As a kid in California we used to make BMX bikes with light motorcycle parts before there were BMX bikes. The frames would bust regularly, but the rims and handlebars held up well. Fast forward 27 years and I buy a mountain bike -- with rapidfires. Hard to adjust and I could never remember what to click when. My full suspension bike came with a SRAM 9.0 SL setup so I made the swap. Cycling is now a pleasure. I built up a similar VooDoo bike for a friend and she swears by the Rockets too. Having been out of biking for 27 years, I figured grip-shifts were for sissies. I was wrong. I'd use them on anything.

Before you get used to the half-pipe, accidental shifts are easy. After a while you develop the touch. Although they are much easier to setup than the crappy Shimano shifters the bike came with, it does take a little time if you want the rings and cogs to correspond to the number indicators on the shifters.

At my skill level I see no reason to ride anything else. Five chilis.. check that, five (5) HABENEROS!!!

Similar Products Used: Shimano stuff the bike came with. Anyone want them?
    RandyA   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2001]
    Strength:

(I have the Rocket "shorty" version) Just like the other GS's, this was very easy to setup. I also liked the shorty grip length. I couldn't get into the half-pipe config, and reading all the gripes about it made me stay away from it. I was glad SRAM went back to the shorter length.

Well, if you condsider this a weakness... The SRS feature is kinda cool. It does makes shifting effort easier, but I do prefer the "regular" feel of the ESP 7.0 installed on my Dean Colonel.

I have always preferred GS to RF, so when I bought my Sugar4 last year I made plans to "upgrade" from the Deore RF that came stock. I took the opportunity to at least try the RF for the year. But this winter I had the time and $$, so I made the switch. Now, my Sugar is sweet.

Minus 1 flame for the higher price, tho...

Similar Products Used: I have Deore RF (spare lying around) & SRAM ESP 7.0 (on my Dean)
    Brandon Brown   Cross Country Rider [Mar 05, 2001]
    Strength:

Ease of shifting "throttle like". Great for quick shifting through the trees.

Here is where they go bad. If you encounter any type of conditions other than say perfect, expect to have to retune before your next ride. They seem to have a real problem with shifting in any wet or slight mud conditions. When your cables seem to not be lubed up alot then the shifting becomes very tight and slow. Also if you are going to be riding fairly intense then these shifters tend to shift when you encounter rough terrain.

If you are looking for great shifting in all conditions and ride fairly extreme then I would recomend to go with the rapid fire system instead. These shifters are good quality but lack the durability and fit for mountain bikers.

Similar Products Used: grip shift 9.0 sl
    wrenchgrrl   Racer [Aug 14, 2000]
    Strength:

crash resistant, easy to install

shifts when climbing hard

I think the halfpipe grip is too long. I tend to hammer down and lunge the handlebars over stuff when climbing. That will cause shifting when I least want it to. I find this really annoying. I also have difficulty with fine tuning the shifter with a XTR rear derailleur, the chain is always skipping over the 2nd largest cog. Too bad you can't trim down the grips.

Doug Daniele   Cross Country Rider [Jun 19, 2000]
    Strength:

Super easy and Quick shifts--Nice looking also

The grips are too dam FAT!

I recomend them for anyone with long fingers,when they make thinner grips they will work for everyone!

Similar Products Used: Old Grip Shift,Sachs
    Dave   Cross Country Rider [May 14, 2000]
    Strength:

spot on shifting

cable stretch

They shift much better than my xt' & xtr's. Cable stretch the first few uses kind of sucks, but it's easy to fix. The whole setup process took less than 30 min, a one armed monkey could do it. I will admit it does take some getting used. I have shifted in the wrong direction a few times, but in time it will second nature. This is my problem but XTR brake levers don't fit as close to the shifers as I would like but it is in the acceptable range. That is the biggest demerit I give them. If you have thought about upgrading give them a try. I would pick them over XTR any day!

Similar Products Used: XT & XTR
    Rob   Weekend Warrior [May 01, 2000]
    Strength:

Large grip area, Precise shifts with XTR derallieurs, sharp looking, effortless shifts

accidental shifts

These shifters are really nice. They work very well with Shimano derailleurs. I liked the installation alot, i'm a mechanic, and these are very easy to set up. Gripshift is cool, because it's not limited to a certain spot on the shifter like rapidfire, it gives more room to play with cable pull, which is good in accident situations. my only complaint is the superlight touch that it takes to make these shifters shift, i noticed when jumping and pulling up, the shifter would move into a different gear, but usually in the landing it would find the right spot again. I'm still testing them, only time will tell the outcome. Very good stuff though.