SRAM 2000 ESP 9.0sl Halfpipe Shifter

2000 ESP 9.0sl Halfpipe

Half Pipe models have an 80mm shifter grip length

Brian   Racer [Sep 26, 2001]
Strength:

Light, looks good, Crisp shifting, half pipe rocks, and.. doesn't say Shimano

I just got these shifters in today adn went on one ride. I was a bit weary of Grip shift cuz Rapid fire is second nature to me. I just got the "upgrade" bug and didn't want to spend 125 bucks for XTR shifters when i can get the SRAM shifters and rear der. for the same price. I put them on and fell in love with them. I love the "Popping" feeling when they release tot eh higher gears and the 1:1 ratio DEFINATLY beats Shimano's 2:1. I had no mis shift at any time. with my LX pod and XTR Der. it worked for one day after cleaning the cables and the next if I wanted to go from 7-4 I had to go to 3 and then click one down to 4. Yes I don't knwo how well this system works long term but the ease of shifting, the smooth actuation is VERY nice, just need to ride it more to be come second nature. and the half pipe is nice. Some people have a "Death grip" ont eh bar which was what turned me from grip shift at first cuz it could miss shift when i didn't want it to, but if you have a "strong, LIGHT" grip on the bar, hard to explain, but they work great, no miss shifts perfect shifts everytime. and with the half pipe you get to shift from more positions ont he bar, BUT some may not like this setupa nd want the "Shorty version" which would work best for you? you choose, you won't be disappointed.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Acera up to LX Rapid Fire
shane   Racer [Oct 15, 2001]
Strength:

shifts as good as anything

well you gots to have a sram derailleur, and they picked out the grip for you

these things really shift at least as well as xtr. they may shift better. they're better than the past grip shifters. you can get either two or three fingers on the stationary grip. i think they are overall the most comfortable grip shifter. no accidental shifts on the uphill. no accidental shifts when yer goin fast and flowing. maybe, once in a while, yer going slow in a long rock garden and you stop suddenly while youse got a death grip on the bars you'll have an accidental shift. ...but they shift so good and you never have to think about moving your hand to shift, so you probably won't mind. NOTE: GET SOME FREAKING SUPERGLUE FOR THE STATIONARY PART. it will never come loose. these things are impervious to mud and you don't have to take it off to change the cable. so super glue that thing on. the grip works suprisingly well in the mud and rain, though you need to be wearing gloves.

Similar Products Used: sram attack, xt, xtr
Marcel Frenk   Cross Country Rider [Sep 18, 2001]
Strength:

Works great, light action, grip feels OK

Don`t like the white colour too much, changing the cable is a bit of a hassle.

I like their light action, the SRS system helps to prevent unwanted shifts. Because of the large grip-surface, they really feel like they much less force to shift. With the older models I usually rode with my hands already upon the shifter, so I was already used to not twist my hands whilst riding, unless I wanted a gearchange off course. The tapered form the grip feels good in my hands, no worrying if your grips will slide.
Since juli 2000 I only sufferd one unwanted downshift, but that was on the mega-bumpy final descent off the Cristalp Marathon in Switzerland, I believe the locals call this section "The Roman Stairs".
Any other problems with shifting were caused by things like a bent derailleur hanger or a faulty cable.

Similar Products Used: Older gripshifts and Sachs Plasma shifters, XT rapidfire shifters
Marty   Cross Country Rider [Mar 08, 2001]
Strength:

Smooth as butter shifting with full 9sl drivetrain.

accidental shifting

These shifters have been a real hinderance to many technical and non-technical riders, due to the fact that they will shift when they are not supposed to. when you are going up steep hills over logs and ruts the twisting you do on your grips to get over/around things causes the halfpipes to shift. this can be a real problem. I switched to the shortys.

Similar Products Used: Rapidfire STX, XTR
Damon   Weekend Warrior [Mar 04, 2001]
Strength:

They shift to the ring and cog you think you are shifting to.

They came with the bike and I don't like the color of the housing with my yellow frame. It is possible to make accidental shifts with the half pipe. Haven't tried the "shorty."

No reason to bother with anything else.

Similar Products Used: Antiquated Shimano contraption on my other bike (replaced with SRAMS).
Matt   Cross Country Rider [Nov 28, 2000]
Strength:

Fast, smooth shifting. Not Shimano-made.

More mis-shifts with the half pipe than the old SRT400's I had.

Well, when I went to upgrade my old C-dale to SRAM 9 speed, I got a deal on the 9.0 derailler and 9.0SL shifters in a package. Being that I ride the SuperV alot more, I pulled the 9.0 shifters off of it and threw the SL's on. When I bought the 9.0s, the SL's were $5 more, but I didn't get them. It's not worth it unless you're a weight weiney and I couldn't even tell the difference to hold them.

They shift exactly like the plain 9.0s. Fast, smooth, and accurate. The only problem is getting onto the 11 toother from the one before it. Sometimes it goes, sometimes it doesn't. Oh well, I don't use it that much anyway-an 8 speed would be fine.

The only problems I've had are mis-shifting when jumping because of the half pipe size, and the little grips used to slide off. A set of Coda Paquita bar ends fixed the grips sliding off as well as gave me another place to put my hands.

Bottom line, not a good upgrade from regular 9.0s, but if you can get them for the same price as the 9.0's and want to upgrade, pick the color that goes best with your bike :-) Four chillies for value since they cost more than the 9.0 and work exactly the same. 5 chillies for overall because it's another quality SRAM product that works great.

Similar Products Used: SRAM SRT400, '99 SRAM 7.0, '00 SRAM 9.0, alot of Shimano junk
Chad   Cross Country Rider [Oct 28, 2000]
Strength:

I found that this product performs beautifully in almost any situation as well as being easy to adjust on or off the trail. I was using XTR before and loved that, but the sram is always right on and very quick and smooth.

I have not found a weekness yet, but will keep you pasted

I Love the Sram 9.0 shifter with the Rocket shifter. I think XTR is one thing and The 9.0 ESP is quicker and smoother!
I recomed this setup for anyone who rides everyday and is willing to get the biggest bag for theor buck.

Similar Products Used: Used XTR with Grip Shift. Used Xt with Xt rapid fire.
Rick Morgan   Cross Country Rider [Oct 22, 2000]
Strength:

easy shifting
reliability of shift
convenience
weight

seems to shifts just slightly slower than XTR,
but is *always* dead-on.

I weigh 205 and sometimes I ride like the broken hulk of a battleship ramming a coral reef. I have very little natural finesse, but I really enjoy riding my bike.
Under my mass, (and load) I tend to have trouble shifting well and get lots of ghost shifting due to tiny misalignments.

When I discovered SRAM 9.0SL Shifters I was pleased as Rosie O'Donnel when they announced a new flavor of Ice Cream. These are such a GREAT product. I love the fact that I can "micro-tune" each gear combo to completely eliminate chain noise in ANY gear. Also, thanks to the spring loaded shifting, I can even stop my bike completely still, shift a couples gears down, and just take off already in the new gear without even pedaling. I had concerns about braking while shifting, but now I cant imagine how I ever worried about that.

The half-pipe shifters are so natural that after a month I was no longer even conscious of them. Just a flick of the wrist and its shifting smooth as olive oil on a hot slab of marble. I was so impressed I bought sram hubs and a derailleurs as well.

In my opinion, a better product does not exist yet.
If something comes out I'll definitely buy it, but for now my clear choice is Sram 9.0SL

Similar Products Used: Avid, Shimano XTR, Shimano XT RF
Peter   Cross Country Rider [Aug 21, 2000]
Strength:

smooth shifts

Can you say lawsuit? SRAM knows how to build a smooth shifter but they completely missed the boat on this one: the grip ends slide off the bar and the half pipe shifter makes steering on downhills a b*itch. The so-called half-pipe is actually more like a 3/4 pipe since the grips are only small enough for a child's hand. As for the grips sliding off the bar, I thought the diamater of my bars was too small and so I ducttaped the bar and then slide the grips on with some hairspray. This worked. But then I read the reviews on this site and discovered that I wasn't hallucinating; my bars are fine and the grips are terrible. Maybe SRAM will fixed these two serious product flaws and recall the ones out on the market before they get taken to the cleaners in court by an inexperienced rider who falls and seriously hurts themselves. RI-DICULOUS PRODUCT!!!

Dave   Racer [Jul 07, 2000]
Strength:

shifts well

ugly, halfpipe is too long to get firm control of the bike, too easy to ghost shift. Grips too fat

First, I prefer a very thin grip. The Half Pipe is just too big around.

My biggest complaint, though, is that I just cant get a good feel on the bike on techincal downhills and uphills. If I was still in the midwest with smooth, fast trails, I'd have no problem with these shifters. However, where we ride, it is loose, steep and rocky. Riding requires precision steering going up and coming down. It is impossible to get any steering precision when the majority of each hand rests on a grip that is constantly turning one way or another. I've been racing for 9 years, so don't get me wrong, I know how to handle a bike. Just can't get used to those squirrely shifters. If they were shorter like the old Xray models, SRAM would have a good shifter on their hands. If I keep these, I'll cut them down. I'm going back to XTR.