SRAM 1999 ESP 7.0 Shifter

• Easy cable change
  • Grip cover design

• User Reviews (9)

Ryan R   Cross Country Rider [Jun 15, 2003]
    Strength:

Light wieght, Cuts down on bar clutter, able to dump a whole range of shifters with one twist, Simple design and ease of use,

Unconsistant shifts, Ghost shifting contributor (at least in my opinion), I will explain below, shortens gripping section on bars.

The ablity to dump the whole range of gears is great. Lighting up the bars helps with steering control, and elimating bar clutter is great. What I mean is that there are no shifters and levers to get in the way. Still I feel that this shifter is one of the major contributers to the ghost shifting on this bike. The one thing I can not tolarate is Ghost shifting. This is a potential dangerous situation when climbing or leaning into a turn. I think that when you apply pressure while swaying the bike or leaning it activates the shiftr causing ghost shifting. If you want me to get angry in about two to four miles into a ride put me on a bike that ghost shifts. Also I don't like the idea of having to move my hand on the bars to shift just another way to wipe out. I like some of the advantages of this shifter but the disadvantages greatly out weigh the advantages. I think this is a good shifter for the casual Mt. Biker but for someone who wants to go to the next level stay with the good old thumb shifters. I feel that the problems that the twist shifters contribute to are not worth the hastle. You also lose a certain feel with this type of shifting this is just my option though PEACE!

Similar Products Used: Shimano and S-Ram
    John Woodington   Cross Country Rider [Jul 06, 2001]
    Strength:

You don't have to take the shifter apart to change cables. Looks cool. Shifts perfectly.

I had halfpipe shifters and I just took a hacksaw to them and it's great now. Works just as good. Some of the grips can be annoying but I removed that part with a knife and it's very comfortable now.

If you gave this product bad reviews then you didn't do something right. It works with surgic precision.

Similar Products Used: SRAM Attack, Gripshift srt-600, alivio pods
    Ben   Downhiller [Jan 08, 2000]
    Strength:

Nice click, solid feel.
    Positive action.
    Nice and grippy

Poor for the front derailer

These are nice, get the job done kind of shifters. Nice positive feel.

Similar Products Used: Shimano LX
    Normal Gripshift
    Mark Nelson   Cross-Country Rider [Jan 08, 2000]
    Strength:

very sure shifting, easy to index when tuning up, EASY to pull maintenace on, EASY to remove or install. I think SRAM has the SCAM with 9.0, I've heard people who know both systems say 7.0 is the work horse.

none for the price, but this is a system(shifter/dr) which unfortunately means if dr goes - shifter goes too. Use high end cables with this one and keep an eye on the dr hanger.

This system was OEM on my V-Link and was a definite factor in that purchase. It worked well and looked good too. I have now owned three sets. My original dr was demolished by a 1.5x 12 section of tree limb in July (composite construction). It broke cleanly and no other components were made to suffer. This system is nice if used with GORE Ride-On cables. The shifting is very precise. I have it this way on my stock trials bike(why not my XC?) which I do ride on some sections of local trails. The front dr allows half clicks and that works out nice if chain rub does start or in my case if only using two chain rings and a bashring. If you have the rear indexed ANY change in the dr hanger will cause the thing to go off on you(like having to bracket around the gear you want or not get it at all) . That holds true for any system but lately I've discovered how easliy the hanger can get out line, this for the single chili dog guy. Install 'em per SRAM advice and use Ride-On cables and you will get a good system at a very nice price! I do not give out 5, so its 4 alone and sweet with GORE. I wish SRAM would consider a kind of road/atb hybrid for Stock Trials bikes(shorter cage at least).

Similar Products Used: None, I prefer twistees - Sorry Andy Panda. Anyway SRAM and Sachs are one now and Shimano has all that compound crap going on. I also prefer good ole Magura braking!
    Todd   Weekend Warrior [Jun 04, 1999]
    Strength:

very positive shifts

Had to use my bassworm

excellent positive shifts. Would not go with anything else now.

Similar Products Used: xray, rapidfire
    Francois   Racer [May 19, 1999]
    Strength:

Works great for the front derailleur

absolute crap for the rear

I thought I would like these shifters for their simplicity. However, even tough they work greast in the front, they have been awful for the rear derailleur (yeas also a 7.0). Upshifting is fine but downshifting just doesn't happen. You always have to shift 2 geras and come back. I checked everything and I don't get it. Maybe I hot one made on a monday morning. Honestly, I would prefer even a shimano Alivio at this point. I race road bikes but would never consider racing a mountain bike event with my shifters. They must be defective because even my 500ex back then was better. So one hot pepper for the front shifter.